Samba Green Hostel Reviews

Rua Alvaro Ramos, 394, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE! 1) the owner was under the influence of alcohol when we checked in! 2) Staff and guests very loud, late into the night. 3) Rooms so hot, impossible to sleep. 4) Bathrooms REALLY dirty, where people had been ill, plus blocked toilets, broken toilet doors and blocked sinks...disgusting!! 5) Breakfast was poor, not enough supply for all people staying. Worst place we stayed, in our 7 week trip around Brazil. we couldn't wait to check out.

Hey Louise, Sorry so much to make you feel in this way. You have arrived in the day before carnival, during the caipirinhas night and all guests were too excited for the carnival. Maybe what happened was a consequence of the craziest caipirinhas night that we have ever had here. You were a more mature couple staying only one night with us and got this bad impression. So sorry. Hope to receive you in another opportunity. Big kisses, Carlos

Except the manger know one was really helpful with tourist staff, how to get around options

Carlos and his staff were amazing .the hostel has a great breakfast and the hostel is cleaned every day .They do anything for you even had a free drinks night and BBQ made my stay here so much fun .thanks guys

I ha a fantastic stay here, great area for seeing all parts of the city, really friendly and helpful staff and had and an amazing time at carnival. I was travelling alone and it was so easy to make friends with both the staff and fellow travellers- the atmosphere was great and I would recommend to all. Definitely stay here.

• 24th Feb 2014

Really nice hostel on a budget. The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable, cleanliness is very good and good location in walking distance to metros to get to all main attractions. Although no air cons in the bedroom meant they were very hot and wifi wasn't great but overall really good place to stay.

I had such a great time here. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. There is a caipirinha party everyweek and free appetizers. They also give out vip tickets to clubs and parties and are always up for doing something in Rio with you. Definitely stay here.

Good price-quality hostel to stay. Not a "great" atmosphere as there are no nice comunity areas. All in all, decent hostel.

Excelente! Conoci al dueno del hostel CArlos y el nos ayudo muchoi en nuestra estadia en el hostel! Secure good location al clean! Good Breakfast and good vives! No necesita mas! Gracias a Felipe tambien! Saludos

Samba green was a amazing hostel! The staff is warm and friendly with a lot if information about the city. T There is a perfect balance of fun and relaxation which puts all the guests in good spirits. I met amazing people at Samba Green and instantly formed a family away from home! Botofogo is a lovely nieghborhood. You get to see the flow of community life while being still very close to main tourist attractions. The place is clean and colorful! Breakfast is good. No complaints :)

Staff was very friendly. Rooms were musty. If you want a quit night, do not stay here.

I absolutely loved Samba Green. The staff was lovely and Carlos the owner is a genius! He was like a big daddy, making sure everyone was comfortable and having fun. He is constantly looking for feedback to improve his hostel and make your experience better. The dorms were very good, bathroom usually excelent but the kitchen could use some work, mainly because its a bit small and the dining terrace was nice and clean. I met so many wonderful people at Samba Green and I would definitely go back!

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Iceland

Excellent Hostel! Clean, safe and fun. I must sound like a bot, or like somebody who's been paid to say these things, but I really loved Samba Green. The staff is great, each and every one of those guys. Helpful, funny and hard-working. The rooms are clean and spacious. The mattress are very comfortable (which is really important for a traveler). Breakfast is good, not great. It's located in a nice street, a little far from the beach, but that's OK too. It's a beautiful place to meet people!

Being used to pay smaller prices to stay in hostels I was expectecting a minimum of standard. The bathroom was always very dirty, impossible to use some times, we also had no electricity for 3 nights, it was impossible to sleep because of the heat, it also became impossible to take a shower because there was no water running. I started wondering what I was paying for since I could neither sleep nor wash... The staff kind and helpful.

Hi Sophie, thanks for the review. I think you became a bit sad with us because Rio de Janeiro was without electricity for ONE night, and it made us without water for ONE night. I feel really sorry for that because I couldn’t solve the problem :). Hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us and I promise that I will give you more attention next time :). I wish you have a wonderful trip. Big kisses. Carlos Aires :)

Well, I´ve been traveling around the world and I can tell this was the greatest hostel I´ve been until now ! There was a great open bar party with a lot of food in the hostel and after that the staff went with us until Copacabana beach to see the fireworks! Bathroom are big and always very clean, just as the other hostel common spaces, they have roms with air conditioners and othe plenty of fans. One night two fans couldn´t work after a power problem and the owner went off to buy new fans,great!

I enjoyed my stay in the hostel because of the lovely people working there and the friendly owner Carlos. But I would like to advise them to improve their internet/WIFI connection and to take better care of the general hygiene in the hostel. More cleaning of the dorms and make sure there are no bugs in the bed (I was terribly attacted during my stay there by some fleas and got an allergic reaction on the bites.

This is a long overdue review. I traveled with friends over Christmas Break and Carlos, Solano, and everyone were so welcoming. We still talk about and miss them now and it has been four months after the trip. Samba green has a great atmosphere where you can meet a bunch of other travelers easily and who can forget Caiprinha Thursdays! It was great value for our money and Carlos really take care of you like family. Stay here!!!

For a good time and good people in the best location. This is the spot! Be thanks to the staff for looking after us.

Amazing hostel with amazing staff. Never stayed at a place where the staff became our friends and introduced us to Rio life. My only regret in Rio was not to stay at Samba Green for longer. There are nightly activities for those who don't know where to go. The owner and staff and are very familiar with the city and are always willing to help. The facilities are clean and very functional. The showers are hot and everyone working there is incredibly nice.

• 23rd Dec 2013

Very nice hostel in a beautiful old house and located at a nice street. The cleanliness is perfect , even though the bathroom is mixed. Relatively near to metro, about 10 minutes walking.

• 21st Dec 2013

The Team was wonderful throughout our stay and had a great time staying at Samba Green. Would definitely look forward to come back and stay once again. Thanks!!! Feliz Ano Novo!!!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels