Samba Green Hostel Reviews

Rua Alvaro Ramos, 394, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I absolutely loved Samba Green. The staff was lovely and Carlos the owner is a genius! He was like a big daddy, making sure everyone was comfortable and having fun. He is constantly looking for feedback to improve his hostel and make your experience better. The dorms were very good, bathroom usually excelent but the kitchen could use some work, mainly because its a bit small and the dining terrace was nice and clean. I met so many wonderful people at Samba Green and I would definitely go back!

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Iceland

Excellent Hostel! Clean, safe and fun. I must sound like a bot, or like somebody who's been paid to say these things, but I really loved Samba Green. The staff is great, each and every one of those guys. Helpful, funny and hard-working. The rooms are clean and spacious. The mattress are very comfortable (which is really important for a traveler). Breakfast is good, not great. It's located in a nice street, a little far from the beach, but that's OK too. It's a beautiful place to meet people!

Being used to pay smaller prices to stay in hostels I was expectecting a minimum of standard. The bathroom was always very dirty, impossible to use some times, we also had no electricity for 3 nights, it was impossible to sleep because of the heat, it also became impossible to take a shower because there was no water running. I started wondering what I was paying for since I could neither sleep nor wash... The staff kind and helpful.

Hi Sophie, thanks for the review. I think you became a bit sad with us because Rio de Janeiro was without electricity for ONE night, and it made us without water for ONE night. I feel really sorry for that because I couldn’t solve the problem :). Hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us and I promise that I will give you more attention next time :). I wish you have a wonderful trip. Big kisses. Carlos Aires :)

Well, I´ve been traveling around the world and I can tell this was the greatest hostel I´ve been until now ! There was a great open bar party with a lot of food in the hostel and after that the staff went with us until Copacabana beach to see the fireworks! Bathroom are big and always very clean, just as the other hostel common spaces, they have roms with air conditioners and othe plenty of fans. One night two fans couldn´t work after a power problem and the owner went off to buy new fans,great!

• 27th Dec 2013

I enjoyed my stay in the hostel because of the lovely people working there and the friendly owner Carlos. But I would like to advise them to improve their internet/WIFI connection and to take better care of the general hygiene in the hostel. More cleaning of the dorms and make sure there are no bugs in the bed (I was terribly attacted during my stay there by some fleas and got an allergic reaction on the bites.

This is a long overdue review. I traveled with friends over Christmas Break and Carlos, Solano, and everyone were so welcoming. We still talk about and miss them now and it has been four months after the trip. Samba green has a great atmosphere where you can meet a bunch of other travelers easily and who can forget Caiprinha Thursdays! It was great value for our money and Carlos really take care of you like family. Stay here!!!

For a good time and good people in the best location. This is the spot! Be thanks to the staff for looking after us.

Amazing hostel with amazing staff. Never stayed at a place where the staff became our friends and introduced us to Rio life. My only regret in Rio was not to stay at Samba Green for longer. There are nightly activities for those who don't know where to go. The owner and staff and are very familiar with the city and are always willing to help. The facilities are clean and very functional. The showers are hot and everyone working there is incredibly nice.

• 23rd Dec 2013

Very nice hostel in a beautiful old house and located at a nice street. The cleanliness is perfect , even though the bathroom is mixed. Relatively near to metro, about 10 minutes walking.

• 21st Dec 2013

The Team was wonderful throughout our stay and had a great time staying at Samba Green. Would definitely look forward to come back and stay once again. Thanks!!! Feliz Ano Novo!!!

Samba Green Hostal is a Great Hostal, in a good location, where you can be sure to be helped out by the nice staff ! Breakfast was good and I would definitely recommend this hostel :)

• 11th Dec 2013
  • Morocco

Me and my husband were staying in Samba Green Hostel on 7th and 8th December. We were very upset when in the morning when we wanted to have breakfast at 9.30 there was almost nothing left, no bread, no coffee. (They serve breakfast till 10 a. m.) Of course I informed the reception about the situation and I was sure that someone responsible for this will bring some food. I was wrong. I complaint at the reception hoping that they would bring some food but the girl working there ignored us.

• 7th Dec 2013
  • Poland

Hi dear. Our hostel is really made by feeling, and we treat our guests as friends. But unfortunately not everyone has the real feeling of hostel. Waking up at 9:50 it´s not the best way to have all the food we serve in the breakfast. And it was truth that most of our breakfast had left at this time. The breakfast in the hostel is served as buffet. I really hope that you give as another opportunity to stay at samba green and try our breakfast again. I wish you a wonderful trip.

Thank you very much, it was nice to stay at your hotel - great atmosphaer ;-)

• 26th Nov 2013
  • Switzerland

A friend recommended this hostel to me & I'm so glad I listened! The rooms are very clean & comfortable, especially the bed mattresses, they're not your typical crappy beds like some other hostels. The hostel isn't located 2 blocks from the beach but it doesn't matter, Copacabana is literally 10 minutes away (walking distance), and down the street from this very cool and large mall. Plus, owner is dabomb.com. He's very cool, laid back, and does BBQ's for us, which is the best! Def. coming back!

• 21st Nov 2013

it's a really new and clean hostel. they also got this super high triple sleepers and the room is quite small. but that's normal for rio. the stuff was very nice and helpful. we liked to stay there. the kitchen is a bit small, can't really recommend it for cooking. the bathroom was always perfectly clean.

I had such a good time! Good people, atmosphere, accessibility with fair price and good cleanliness. That's all that matters!

• 15th Nov 2013

This is a new hostel and the owner is really into it. If there is anything he can do to make your stay better, he will do it. They have events at night to meet other people which is great and the owner himself even made us some dessert one night. My room was in the basement which to get to you had to walk outside a bit (but still within the security of the hostel property) to get to. If it rained it could be annoying. Beyond that, I highly recommend this hostel!

The hostel is amazing! Very well located, people who work and live there are very nice and sweet! There are a lot of things to do, such as parties or just going to the beach together. Since the guys who work there take everyone together, it's impossible to stay alone and lonely. It is very clean and organised. The kitchen is a bit small, but neat. Plus, the place where people have breakfast (which is free) is well ventilated, big, and you can put everything you buy in order to have other meals.

• 7th Nov 2013

*Well located!! Botafogo it is a good area and pretty save; the metro is only 5 minutes away. *If you want to stay in a double room, number 6 is the biggest in the hostel... *Carlos, the hostel's owner was very helpful and friendly. I hope his foot is getting better and ready for the next carnival, and his morning coffee was tasty :)

The hostel was very nice and comfortable and surpassed all of our needs. The stuff and the owner was very helpful. Nice atmosphere. Good party. Diversified program. We liked the hostel so much that we stayed 2 more nights than we originally planned. As soon as we will visit Rio again, we will definitely book this hostel again.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels