Samba Palace Reviews

Rua Alice 97, Laranjeiras, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This was my first hostel I've ever stayed in so I was initially skeptical of how friendly the staff was going to be, the cleanliness of the facilities, and the security of the place. The staff was so friendly and reliable. Max the bartender made killer caipirinhas! It was so fun to talk to the best bartender in the world! If I needed tips or traveling advices, the staff went the extra mile to help you make the most out of traveling around Rio.

We spent two weeks here over Carnival (a tough period for hostels as we´ve found), and overall loved it. Staff were amazing, very helpful, and spoke English; free breakfast pretty good; food and drinks could be bought at the hostel for good prices (better than street prices, generally); cleanliness overall was good although the bathrooms could have done with a better scrub; strong wifi in common areas; good atmosphere; comfortable dorm beds; good sized lockers. Would recommend, and will return!

Good hostel, with excellent staff. They provided us not only maps of the city, but also lots of tips of what was going on during those days. The neighborhood, although, didn't seem very well located to me. It's nice and beautiful, but was not that easy to take buses to everywhere. The hostel has a good common area and kitchen, but the private room I stayed was too small, although it has an air conditioned, wich was excellent, because the window was in front of the hallway and couldn't stay open.

This hostel is good if you have a car and are with a group of people. It's clean, the showers are good (sometimes they dont get the water hot but usually they do, also they are really strong) and the beds are great for a hostel. But its really far from the metro and of the main atractions so you need to take the bus (that is not reliable). Also the people usually don't go to the bar. I had a problem with the reservation. They charged me more than they should and i didnt notice until I got home.

I am mixed about this hostel, it has great facilities and fantastic beds and pillows. The showers are sometimes cold and if there is hot water it jumps between scalding hot and freezing cold repeatedly. The staff are helpful but I am not sure why there is a lack of social atmosphere. I recommend the day tour it was very good value. Apart from being close to Christ the Redeemer the location isnt that great.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels