Samba Palace Reviews

Rua Alice 97, Laranjeiras, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The staff at the hostel are the best! it's a really nice place and well located too, BIG and i mean BIG place! you'll love it.

Great hostel and really good atmosphere. Short cab ride to all of Rio's attractions. The staff are really friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was one of the best ive ever had at a hostel, was more than just your traditional Brazilian breakfast. Common rooms were awesome with 2 different tv's you can watch. The only thing i found bad about Samba Palace was that the wifi at times did not work very good. Other than that, i would recommend this place to anyone and i would stay here again

Expensive but it was during the world cup. We had descent size en-suite double room with tv/ac. Well run, secure hotel with good atmosphere.

Dear Macdara, Thank you for your comment. We are really glad that you liked the room and the atmosphere :) Two of the most important things we make sure is that everyone feel comfortable and enjoy staying at our hostel! Once more, thank you for staying with us and for your feedback ! :)

This hostel has amazing facilities that are regularly cleaned throughout the day. But sadly breakfast is only served from 8-10 which is obnoxious since most of the tours we did while in Rio picked us up around 7:30. And with the exception of two people, the staff is also rather unfriendly and not very helpful.

Dear Mel, We are very sorry to hear that your were unhappy staying with us.Breakfast is served from 8-10because mostly backpackers are never up that early to eat and never complained about the time.Its our first complain and I'm truly sorry to hear this.If you had informed reception, for sure we would make an exception.We are really surprise to hear this and also about the unfriendly part. It's always difficult to deal with people of different cultures Thank you very much for your feedback :)

Enjoyed my stay. Staff was very helpful & were very available for questions. Lots of TV's to watch the World Cup games. Only issue was air conditioner didn't work in the room. Other than that I enjoyed my stay. Also I liked them as they didn't over charge for the World Cup like other hostels did. Thanks for that =)

Dear Juan, We didn't know the air conditioner wasn't working in your room. It probably was not on and if you had communicated the reception. For sure we would solve that problem immediately! Every air conditioner in all rooms has been checked the day before yesterday and they are working perfectly right now! Thank you so much for your comments , they are very important for us and also for staying at Samba Palace :)!!

This is a really cool hostel, rooms are big and airy and the bathrooms were all really clean. There is a bar/hang out area downstairs and the staff are really friendly. It is in a neighbourhood called larenjerias which is a bit far out from copacabana and the other main areas, no metro near by so you have to take the bus or taxi to get places which is a downside. The communal computers didnt work which was annoying.

The hot water supply in the showers was intermittent to say the least, but aside from that a decent base to explore Rio. Bar staff are cool, and breakfast is decent for South America.

Flawless except the location. Not close to any where. But close to public transportation. אחלה הוסטל.

Has it all but nothing outstanding!

IF you want a quiet hostel hidden in a residential area I recommend this. Just a warning if you are looking to meet other English speaking travelers when I was there a majority of people were speaking Portuguese but maybe its not always like that as all the reception staff spoke English. My only slight complaint was there were quite a few mosquitoes, the breakfast I thought was really good compared to some that are just a piece of bread and coffee.

This was my first hostel I've ever stayed in so I was initially skeptical of how friendly the staff was going to be, the cleanliness of the facilities, and the security of the place. The staff was so friendly and reliable. Max the bartender made killer caipirinhas! It was so fun to talk to the best bartender in the world! If I needed tips or traveling advices, the staff went the extra mile to help you make the most out of traveling around Rio.

We spent two weeks here over Carnival (a tough period for hostels as we´ve found), and overall loved it. Staff were amazing, very helpful, and spoke English; free breakfast pretty good; food and drinks could be bought at the hostel for good prices (better than street prices, generally); cleanliness overall was good although the bathrooms could have done with a better scrub; strong wifi in common areas; good atmosphere; comfortable dorm beds; good sized lockers. Would recommend, and will return!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels