SameSun Backpacker Lodge - Vancouver Reviews

1018 Granville St, Vancouver, Canada

The hostel was fine, I wouldn't say there was anything remarkable about it. It is a big hostel, with a lot more guests than most hostels I've been to and because of that I found it harder to get to know people and strike up conversations, however the hostel daily events were good for helping with this. Overall most aspects were just okay, the location is probably the best thing about this place as it's on a main street with lot's to do.

Great location, very easy to meet people. Sean

Alright... well, first of all I think this place made me realize I'm over 30 and not up for hanging out with a bunch of smelly, dread-headed free-love kids anymore (not that I ever was). Let's just put it this way, you'll be getting what you paid for. It's clean for as run down as it is. It's in a sleazy part of town with lots of bums and... adunno, I wish I would have gone for the hotel. But it was cheap, no argument there.

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Sometimes hostels aren't for everyone I guess, although everyone is certainly welcome at ours. We are located on Granville St. which is in the heart of the cities entertainment district, overall a very fun area to be in. Cheers and safe travels, Pete.

Need an elevator... Great stay, staff were helpful and knowledgable about Vancouver. Always sent us in the right direction.

• 4th Jan 2015

Staff and atmosphere make this hostel. Beds are awful and very squeaky. Good for partying, not for sleeping.

this is a good hostel. only down side the net flix does break down from time to time, other then that its like a proper hostel. id stay again for sure.

일단 시설이 좋지 않다. 밑에 바가 있어서 좋을 수도 있고 안좋을 수도 있을 것 같다.

Stayed over new years, good atmosphere but the prices were inflated

Staff are friendly, and the bar is cheap. Only thing is if you want to mingle, make sure you sit at the bar itself, the booths are sort of closed off. Beds are pretty comfy for the price you're paying and bathrooms were acceptability clean.

• 28th Dec 2014

There is a noise curfew at this hostel but no one seems to care because people were in the halls partying until 4am almost every night. If you want any sleep I wouldn't recommend staying here. Either than the noise is was a good hostel with good staff, activities, and facilities.

I loved SameSun! The location is very central. You need a code to get into the hostel, which is changed each day. There is a well-priced bar w/ a fun atmosphere. Good amount of toilets & showers on each floor; they are clean & I never had to wait for them. Free Wifi. The staff are very nice &helpful -they even offered to safely store my valuables behind the desk, while I stored my other bags in the luggage room after checkout. Also, great free breakfast offered each morning! Worth the money!

friendly staff, nice travellers, quite cosy atmorsphere, great breakfast!

Jamie is the best! The supposed to be fire dancing and lantern night turned out to be something more of a pagan ritual and two lone lanterns set off. But Jamie and Jessie and the awesome guests made it a side splitting experience! Got my voice back two days later but it was worth it. Christmas in Vancouver was totally worth it!

• 22nd Dec 2014

The hostel was orderly and straitforward. Heating and bedding weren't great, but they weren't unberable. The women's facilities were broken on two floors, but I think this was simply low priority because of the off season. I'd stay here again in uncertainty, but there wasn't anything here that would draw me back over a possible competitor. The community spaces didn't tend to draw conversation among strangers, and nothing was overly remarkable.

Read the reviews for Samesun before booking. Other than the Gaps between the doors in toilet and shower cubicles. I found my first Hostel experience awesome. All Hostel staff were helpful if you wanted anything. Hostel staff had walking tours everyday for certain sights around the City or you could get tickets to the hockey games. The best experience was going to the Hockey and "The Great Plunge" as part of the Hostel Crew. Met an awesome ANZAC contingent of guests who make the place happen.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

I loved staying at this hostel. GREAT communal area both downstairs at the beaver bar and upstairs in the kitchen. I will definitely be back!

The Location of the hostel is great! I also liked that there is a bar in the Basement and that breakfast is included in the Price. I stayed in a 4-bed dorm. The room was average, but the bedsheets and pillows were just gross. They looked really old and were badly stained.

hands down one of the best hostels i've ever stayed at. prime location, clean rooms and bathrooms, very secure, cheap bar, and super super SUPER awesome/helpful staff. also, the breakfast is free and good (bagels, toast, muffins, fruit, coffee, juice, all dat gud gud) and the atmosphere was great. met a ton of chill, young, goodlooking people. so if you are chill, young, and goodlooking, this hostel is the place for you!!!

• 15th Dec 2014

And the staff are chill, young and goodlooking too!

Bad points : location, you can`t walk 1 minute in the street without someone begging for money. Showers and toilets have huge gaps around doors. The code to enter the rooms changes daily. but anyone can get it from the reception, same for luggage storage key. Good points: good staff, bar and events, clean.

Hello and thanks for the feedback. We are located in Vancouver's Entertainment District which is fantastic for bars, restaurants and clubs. Like all west coast cities, Vancouver does attract a large amount of street people, but they are all completely harmless. With our building we do not allow anyone in without a room key, so if we don't recognize them, we check keys and ID when needed. All of our bathrooms are undergoing renos this winter so that will help your concerns there. Safe travels!

Definitely one of my favourite hostels. Awesome location, super friendly staff with heaps of local knowledge, clean spacious rooms and other facilities. Not to mention the beaver bar with cheap food and drinks and an awesome atmosphere. Its a great way to met new people. Especially when travelling alone. Ive stayed here a few times before and keep coming back. Highly recommend this place to anyone coming through vancouver!