SameSun Backpacker Lodge - Vancouver Reviews

1018 Granville St, Vancouver, Canada

It was a lively environment, although I did not get to be in the same room as my partner (it was a very busy weekend.) Overall it was a good stay for a younger crowd looking for a little excitement.

• 24th May 2014

Loved the daily social activities and the social environment created by the in house bar and restaurant. Great value and great fun hostel.

Great place to stay. Always busy, easy to meet people. Staff always willing to help. Good location. Wifi gets annoying having to log in all the time, but generally good. Met some great friends in my week stay here.

Decent enough for a short stay. Staff are helpful and knowledgeable and the 24/7 access is useful. The rooms were pretty dark and gritty and bathrooms likewise, they could certainly do with improving and refurbishing. Free breakfast is ok, nothing that special. They do make sure you can have fun here though, there are activities, tours, day trips organised by the hostel that will keep you busy and meeting others which is always nice when you're travelling solo

Overall a much nicer than average hostel. Only complaint I have is the super soft saggy beds but other than that a great place.

The hostel is right on the party mile. Clubs and bars next to it. Atmosphere was good.

Great place, in a good location. Easy to meet other people in the bar downstairs and quite a few activities organized by the hostel. Rooms are a little cramped.

Stayed here for 4 nights in total over a week and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to stay in Downtown Vancouver. Very clean and well maintained. Great price and free breakfast every morning which was great

Great hostel, fab central location to explore Vancouver. Big communal kitchen and common room and lots of activities planned every day. Top breakfast every morning. Only downsides, my room was tiny but then it is a hostel and at night it was very loud outside as we were at the front of the hostel and needed the window open as it was so hot! Would stay here again though

Great location friendly staff. A good choice

• 9th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Excellent hostel to stay at. Only drawback is the shared bathrooms have very small shower stalls. Otherwise, all is well.

Stayed at a few hostels on Van this is the best good location, good staff, free breakfast great people and atmosphere

I really loved my stay here. Big lockers for all of our stuff, big shared bathrooms on each floor which were cleaned regularly, big kitchen

First backpackers I have ever stayed in. Was awesome, definitely will be staying with them again on my next trip to Canada. Staff were awesome and friendly, facilities were good and kept very clean. Free wifi is great for travelers. Had an awesome stay. Highly recommended!

• 1st May 2014

Actually, the room with bad ventilation.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

Hello, we do have large windows in all our rooms and individual fans on all the beds. I'm afraid there's not much else we can do at the moment. Hope you enjoyed your time in Vancouver! Cheers

We are so sorry but we had to cancel our stay at SameSun due to the fact that the Amtrak train from Seattle could not get past Everett because a swing bridge would not go down in order to allow the train to cross. Hundreds of passengers were stuck in Everett. After 1 1/2 hours Amtrak offered passengers a round trip refund plus a ride on a south bound train leaving at 11:15 a.m. We were so disappointed but we only had a few hours in Vancouver and this problem ruined it. I'll be back!

Great location, nice staff. It's really big, but they manage to keep the place clean and okay-looking. The breakfast is GREAT, main reason I'd come again. Bed was made, I got a free towel. There's a bar, great place to meet people. First night I was in a 8 mixed dorm, next time I'll pick a smaller girls room, because the first one smelled so bad like sweaty socks, but that's not the fault of the hostel. Also the wifi's too slow, but they're working on that. So altogether Samesun's nice!

• 25th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Yes we are working on improving the wifi. It used to be that travellers just had one wifi device but now they have multiple, myself included. So we are ramping up our entire wifi network to help this out. Thanks again! Pete

Washroom facilities are a joke - 20-25 rooms per floor containing at least 40 males means 3 showers, 2 toilets and 1 urinal are nowhere near enough to accommodate everyone. Queued more times than I'd like to remember. Even if you do strike lucky and walk straight in, the privacy you get is zero. The toilet doors are so low, people can peer over any time. Breakfast selection was also poor - bagels were stale and the fruit bowl was usually empty. Heading outside was always a better option!

• 24th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for your feedback. We do have washrooms on every floor, not really sure if everyone is aware of that, so just letting all our future guests know. Our breakfast selection contains bagels, muffins, toast, fruit salad, oatmeal, coffee, tea and juice, and if anything ever needs a restocking, just ask our busy breakfast staff. Cheers!

This hostel has some really good things going for it - perfect location, amazing free breakfast, decent bar, nice common area, decent atmosphere, tons of people staying there and lots going on. However, the toilet / shower experience is a bit nasty, and I've stayed in around 50 hostels all over the world and SameSun wins the award for the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on! Hopefully I was just "lucky."

good all round service... breakfast is excellent! Staff need to drop the attitude sometimes.

• 23rd Apr 2014