SameSun Backpacker Lodge - Vancouver Reviews

1018 Granville St, Vancouver, Canada

1952 Total Reviews

Stayed here for 4 nights in total over a week and would definitely recommend to anyone wanting to stay in Downtown Vancouver. Very clean and well maintained. Great price and free breakfast every morning which was great

Great hostel, fab central location to explore Vancouver. Big communal kitchen and common room and lots of activities planned every day. Top breakfast every morning. Only downsides, my room was tiny but then it is a hostel and at night it was very loud outside as we were at the front of the hostel and needed the window open as it was so hot! Would stay here again though

Great location friendly staff. A good choice

• 9th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Excellent hostel to stay at. Only drawback is the shared bathrooms have very small shower stalls. Otherwise, all is well.

Stayed at a few hostels on Van this is the best good location, good staff, free breakfast great people and atmosphere

I really loved my stay here. Big lockers for all of our stuff, big shared bathrooms on each floor which were cleaned regularly, big kitchen

First backpackers I have ever stayed in. Was awesome, definitely will be staying with them again on my next trip to Canada. Staff were awesome and friendly, facilities were good and kept very clean. Free wifi is great for travelers. Had an awesome stay. Highly recommended!

• 1st May 2014

Actually, the room with bad ventilation.

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

Hello, we do have large windows in all our rooms and individual fans on all the beds. I'm afraid there's not much else we can do at the moment. Hope you enjoyed your time in Vancouver! Cheers

We are so sorry but we had to cancel our stay at SameSun due to the fact that the Amtrak train from Seattle could not get past Everett because a swing bridge would not go down in order to allow the train to cross. Hundreds of passengers were stuck in Everett. After 1 1/2 hours Amtrak offered passengers a round trip refund plus a ride on a south bound train leaving at 11:15 a.m. We were so disappointed but we only had a few hours in Vancouver and this problem ruined it. I'll be back!

Great location, nice staff. It's really big, but they manage to keep the place clean and okay-looking. The breakfast is GREAT, main reason I'd come again. Bed was made, I got a free towel. There's a bar, great place to meet people. First night I was in a 8 mixed dorm, next time I'll pick a smaller girls room, because the first one smelled so bad like sweaty socks, but that's not the fault of the hostel. Also the wifi's too slow, but they're working on that. So altogether Samesun's nice!

• 25th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Yes we are working on improving the wifi. It used to be that travellers just had one wifi device but now they have multiple, myself included. So we are ramping up our entire wifi network to help this out. Thanks again! Pete

Washroom facilities are a joke - 20-25 rooms per floor containing at least 40 males means 3 showers, 2 toilets and 1 urinal are nowhere near enough to accommodate everyone. Queued more times than I'd like to remember. Even if you do strike lucky and walk straight in, the privacy you get is zero. The toilet doors are so low, people can peer over any time. Breakfast selection was also poor - bagels were stale and the fruit bowl was usually empty. Heading outside was always a better option!

• 24th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for your feedback. We do have washrooms on every floor, not really sure if everyone is aware of that, so just letting all our future guests know. Our breakfast selection contains bagels, muffins, toast, fruit salad, oatmeal, coffee, tea and juice, and if anything ever needs a restocking, just ask our busy breakfast staff. Cheers!

This hostel has some really good things going for it - perfect location, amazing free breakfast, decent bar, nice common area, decent atmosphere, tons of people staying there and lots going on. However, the toilet / shower experience is a bit nasty, and I've stayed in around 50 hostels all over the world and SameSun wins the award for the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on! Hopefully I was just "lucky."

good all round service... breakfast is excellent! Staff need to drop the attitude sometimes.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Good breakfast and lots of activities going on.

I would like to come back I make many friends there my experience there was the best

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Costa Rica

This was a great hostel. Very friend

first experience at the hostels, lots of people to interact with. Kitchen is rather a bit small, the lounge is great. Bathroom is clean and hot water works. Internet is down most of the time (i'm on the third level) so I had to go down and use it in the lounge. Location is great, right on Granville which is the main st. no parking tho, if you have a car, there's a parking right around the corner on nester's 17.00 /night with security which i would gladly take over the comfort inn parking 33$

• 20th Apr 2014

The location is the best. Close to everything. Staffs were so nice, carrying my bag upstairs, being very welcoming and very very helpful. The main problem is that the room I was in, on the 1rst floor, was too small. No space to leave my bag on the floor. Old lockers as well. No electric plugs close to my bed. The toilets were kind of uncomfortable, no hangers to hang my towel close to the sink. But I guess the value was reasonable for what you get.

Hello and thanks for your feedback. All of our beds do have a power bar next to the bed, I'm sorry you didn't find it. We are also looking at getting more hooks and storage in the bathrooms to help our guests out. Glad we could help you out otherwise and thanks for the suggestions! Cheers Pete

Excellent Hostel. Great location (right downtown, surrounded by bars, clubs, and just a couple of blocks from the air train). Room, bathrooms and common area were clean. Would definitely stay here again!

Samesun is a great place to meet people and a pretty central location. Everyone I know that has stayed here has loved it. So did I!