SameSun Backpacker Lodge - Vancouver Reviews

1018 Granville St, Vancouver, Canada

2039 Total Reviews

We are so sorry but we had to cancel our stay at SameSun due to the fact that the Amtrak train from Seattle could not get past Everett because a swing bridge would not go down in order to allow the train to cross. Hundreds of passengers were stuck in Everett. After 1 1/2 hours Amtrak offered passengers a round trip refund plus a ride on a south bound train leaving at 11:15 a.m. We were so disappointed but we only had a few hours in Vancouver and this problem ruined it. I'll be back!

Great location, nice staff. It's really big, but they manage to keep the place clean and okay-looking. The breakfast is GREAT, main reason I'd come again. Bed was made, I got a free towel. There's a bar, great place to meet people. First night I was in a 8 mixed dorm, next time I'll pick a smaller girls room, because the first one smelled so bad like sweaty socks, but that's not the fault of the hostel. Also the wifi's too slow, but they're working on that. So altogether Samesun's nice!

• 25th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for the feedback. Yes we are working on improving the wifi. It used to be that travellers just had one wifi device but now they have multiple, myself included. So we are ramping up our entire wifi network to help this out. Thanks again! Pete

Washroom facilities are a joke - 20-25 rooms per floor containing at least 40 males means 3 showers, 2 toilets and 1 urinal are nowhere near enough to accommodate everyone. Queued more times than I'd like to remember. Even if you do strike lucky and walk straight in, the privacy you get is zero. The toilet doors are so low, people can peer over any time. Breakfast selection was also poor - bagels were stale and the fruit bowl was usually empty. Heading outside was always a better option!

• 24th Apr 2014

Hello and thanks for your feedback. We do have washrooms on every floor, not really sure if everyone is aware of that, so just letting all our future guests know. Our breakfast selection contains bagels, muffins, toast, fruit salad, oatmeal, coffee, tea and juice, and if anything ever needs a restocking, just ask our busy breakfast staff. Cheers!

This hostel has some really good things going for it - perfect location, amazing free breakfast, decent bar, nice common area, decent atmosphere, tons of people staying there and lots going on. However, the toilet / shower experience is a bit nasty, and I've stayed in around 50 hostels all over the world and SameSun wins the award for the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on! Hopefully I was just "lucky."

good all round service... breakfast is excellent! Staff need to drop the attitude sometimes.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Good breakfast and lots of activities going on.

I would like to come back I make many friends there my experience there was the best

• 22nd Apr 2014