San Diego's Ocean Beach International Hostel Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

Really liked my stay here. Staff is great. Very helpful and friendly. Other guest were also very nice. The hostel is located in a street full of bars and the beach is only 5 minutes walk. Downtown is 30 minutes away but you will enjoy your time in OB. I would defo recommend this hostel to everybody.

This is a high-quality hostel in a great location with a Top-Notch staff who are happy to help with any travelers need; really can't say enough about them! The facilities are excellent as well, with spacious rooms, clean bathrooms, an excellent kitchen and social areas! I never had a chance to go to the beach fire barbecue, but that seemed really cool as well, especially in regards to California's limited use of beach fires on the beach, great option! Thank you all for a great stay! J

Hey, i really liked that Guy Noah... His Events made the hostel much more fun for me!

Unbeknownst to me, they asked for my passport or student ID. Luckily I had my passport on me, but wasn't informed in advance that this would be required. I am an american citizen and so wouldn't have needed my passport in normal circumstnaces. Not sure what they would have done if I didn't have my passport with me.

• 28th Mar 2014
  • Pellsl

Very helpful staff, tasty breakfast pancakes and pleasant atmosphere. Would recommend it.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Belarus

I love Ocean Beach, and this hostel is prime location right on Newport Avenue, surrounded by shops, cafés and bars, and a couple of blocks back from the beach - what more would you want? The hostel staff are professional and very friendly. Events are well organised and no one is left out. The breakfast is also top notch - you won't go hungry, especially when they also have a free dinner, and other low cost dinners, during the week. Highly recommend!

The hostel was a bit run down, but several repairs looked to be in the works. Rooms were clean. Lots of activities available to connect with other guests. Only a couple blocks walk from the beach, and a block from bus access to the rest of the city, so great location. The front door is locked in the evening and accessible by a code, so felt secure, but I'm not sure if the staff was aware of what was going on on the front porch in the late hours - arriving late was a little ...... interesting

It was a pretty cool hostel and i had a very nice stay there. The staff was nice, friendly and helpful and gave me a lot of tips to do in the city. There was a good breakfast with coffee, tea, pancakes, eggs, bread and fruits. The rooms and especially the beds were comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay there again!

Wonderfully friendly fun hostel! Two blocks from the ocean and one block from killer burgers. Not noisy and very secure at night. The bathrooms are slightly run down but it's still excellent value for money considering it's location. The little cafe next door has delish acai bowls but the hostel had a well equipped kitchen.

The hostel overall is located next to a beach which is AWESOME. But the community environment is very hippyish, and I wasn't ready for that. Also I prefer hostel with an age limit. Something doesn't sit right with me in having teeangers/young adults and grown/elderly men and women (who are strangers) sharing a space. I know backpackers these days can be any age, but the atmosphere changes when you realize people your parents age and older are sharing a room with you!

The stay was great, very helpful staff and the hostel provides an atmosphere that is conducive to meeting new, and interesting people.

• 18th Dec 2013

Great place to stay with a really good atmosphere. Very social, staff are friendly an helpful. always something going on to get involved in and lots of free good! Recommend for anyone travelling through San Diego, especially if on your own as get to meet and hang out with lots of people. Added bonus if it being so close to the beach!

• 29th Nov 2013

Great hostel, very friendly staff & guests! Would thoroughly recommend :-)

• 15th Nov 2013

Staff is mostly really nice and atmosphere is friendly. I hope they've changed the internet regulation yet: when I stayed you were allowed to use the wifi one hour for free and then had to wait for 6 hours, or pay §3. Also the doorlock to my room was hard to open. But still, it is a good place to stay where you can meet many nice people. Also they offer lots of community activities.

• 14th Nov 2013

I have nothing bad to say, perfect hostel, location, staff and facilities. Free surfing lessons, and just an awesome place just off the beach in San Diego!

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed at! We came for 2 nights and stayed for 2 weeks! super friendly staff, Joe, Courtland, Dennis, Billy, Candice, Marcello and more were all always helpful and kept an awesome vibe going! Cleaning staff were efficient and always flexible with sleeping in. Epic beer pong tournaments, surfing, bonfires and even a wedding on the beach in our first week! Be sure to ask about the notorious 'team hot sauce' aussies! Big love to OBI hostel. Shaggy

• 11th Nov 2013

You get WIFI only for one hour and after that you have to wait 5 hours for connect again. That is very bad.

• 11th Nov 2013

loved it, highly recommend!

Right next to the beach, along a funky road full of hippie cafes and stores and good vibes. The staff at the hostel take you on surfing lessons, you get to meet a ton of other guests during meals and on the porch. Had an incredibly good time.

had a really great time here, didn't want to leave! Such an awsome location and chilled vibe. Would definitely recommend this place

• 26th Oct 2013