San Diego's Ocean Beach International Hostel Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

I have been travelling for 9 months and this is one of the friendliest places I have stayed. The staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and very helpful. Great atmosphere too. Negatives - building work going on - but that will only improve the place and not enough room for bags in the 6 bed dorm I stayed in.

Should get speakers for the courtyard and do more group activities

the place was amazing, staff was very friendly, the hostel management is looking forward to make you have great time in the city more than caring about money taking into consideration that that the value for the money paid is really amazing. I loved that the place organized activities to the guests, all the hostel staff were very helpful and have great knowledge of what the guest needs from the city. i would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting san diego

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Egypt

Great staying! Nice front desk staff!

We arrived mid-construction at the hostel - which I would have loved to have known prior to booking, as it was a hot mess in there. There were dudes banging around all day/especially around the women's washroom which I felt was awkward. The staff were pleasant enough, but they seemed to care little for the abundance of noise that was coming from the people drinking outside my room at 2 am (even after I went to the front desk to sleepily complain). Nice location - expensive for mid-reno.

Thank you for your feedback. We know there have been some noisy days as we get our hostel getting back to looking great! We very much appreciate our guests patience and humor during the process. Quiet hours should be enforced after 11pm, so we'll be sure to remind staff of this policy. We hope you give us another try and come enjoy our location by the beach once the building is all buttoned up!

The OB hostel has improved over the years. and kenda and the rest ofthe staff were very good

An amazing location, cool vibes, but they let a homeless guy hangout in the kitchen and he asked us for alcohol and our credit card to use for a room at the hostel... But other than that blip I highly recommend!

Thanks for your overall great ratings and comments about our hostel. We are dismayed that you experienced a negative incident in our hostel as we work hard to make sure only guests are allowed in. As you know as a former guest, we check all keys for all guests entering the building. We are reviewing our procedures now to make sure that no non-guests get past reception. Happy Travels to you.

Great hostel! It's very close to Ocean beach which is nice, but I prefer the other beaches.

The staff was helpful and so nice and friendly. My stay here was amazing and I would recommend to anyone.

• 8th Mar 2015

Great hostel

The hostel is under construction so everything is either shut down, dirty or not working. The location is nice, really close to ocean beach

kitchen was not inviting people staying there were more hippie than we expected

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Being just 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean, most guests find our location terrific and the local vibe quite fun. We hope you'll give us another try next year, as we're about to start a remodel of the kitchen that should make everyone feel like a gourmet chef when in there. Happy Travels.

Location is close to the beach however a bit sketchy, many street people. The showers were cold, after 3 days of being told that hot water will come if you let it run for 10min(irresponsible considering there's a drought in California) still no hot water. Wouldn't recommend it for winter, maybe in summer this problem is ok. Reasonable breakfast, although no black tea. Rooms were a decent size. A few of the staff members were helpful and lovely. No free pick up from the airport as advertised.

I hung out with Hannah who is a cool staff

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Japan

We love hanging out with Hannah too!

A great hostel, I will definitely recommend to my friends! Location is perfect. Staff is really nice and they come up with events every night where you can meet the other hostel guests - great to meet new people! Free breakfast is yummy!

I loved this hostel, the staff are so nice and the bed is really comfortable. I just didn't like about the temperature regulation of the shower, but the restroom is clean, so it's perfect.

Thanks for your great scores...and we hope you come back to test out our new showers as we've just started remodeling them! We expect them to be terrific soon!

Great staff, great vibe and atmosphere. Ocean Beach is an amazing area and I would definitely stay there again. I've been to many hostels and breakfast is usually a complaint in many of them. The hostel doesn't have to FEED us, only to provide a basic breakfast but maybe a cream cheese, some bacon bits, ham, bananas..I don't know, some taste to start off the day on the right foot, would make it much better. Great Hostel!

• 27th Dec 2014

A great Hostel. Been there multiple tomes and I have met great people there, staff and guests. Highly recommend it.

• 7th Dec 2014