San Diego's Ocean Beach International Hostel Reviews

4961 Newport Ave., CA 92107, San Diego, USA

Great hostel! It's very close to Ocean beach which is nice, but I prefer the other beaches.

The staff was helpful and so nice and friendly. My stay here was amazing and I would recommend to anyone.

• 8th Mar 2015

Great hostel

The hostel is under construction so everything is either shut down, dirty or not working. The location is nice, really close to ocean beach

kitchen was not inviting people staying there were more hippie than we expected

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Switzerland

We're sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. Being just 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean, most guests find our location terrific and the local vibe quite fun. We hope you'll give us another try next year, as we're about to start a remodel of the kitchen that should make everyone feel like a gourmet chef when in there. Happy Travels.

Location is close to the beach however a bit sketchy, many street people. The showers were cold, after 3 days of being told that hot water will come if you let it run for 10min(irresponsible considering there's a drought in California) still no hot water. Wouldn't recommend it for winter, maybe in summer this problem is ok. Reasonable breakfast, although no black tea. Rooms were a decent size. A few of the staff members were helpful and lovely. No free pick up from the airport as advertised.

I hung out with Hannah who is a cool staff

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Japan

We love hanging out with Hannah too!

A great hostel, I will definitely recommend to my friends! Location is perfect. Staff is really nice and they come up with events every night where you can meet the other hostel guests - great to meet new people! Free breakfast is yummy!

I loved this hostel, the staff are so nice and the bed is really comfortable. I just didn't like about the temperature regulation of the shower, but the restroom is clean, so it's perfect.

Thanks for your great scores...and we hope you come back to test out our new showers as we've just started remodeling them! We expect them to be terrific soon!

Great staff, great vibe and atmosphere. Ocean Beach is an amazing area and I would definitely stay there again. I've been to many hostels and breakfast is usually a complaint in many of them. The hostel doesn't have to FEED us, only to provide a basic breakfast but maybe a cream cheese, some bacon bits, ham, bananas..I don't know, some taste to start off the day on the right foot, would make it much better. Great Hostel!

• 27th Dec 2014

A great Hostel. Been there multiple tomes and I have met great people there, staff and guests. Highly recommend it.

• 7th Dec 2014

The best Hostel ever. Really chilled out atmosphere but excellent organized. The breakfast is very good. You can rent surf boards, nice chill out area, great kitchen and always everything very clean. Sometimes problems with hot water, but that was not too bad.

• 17th Nov 2014

Thanks for the great review!

Once again OB did not disappoint! Having stayed in other areas of SD, this is by far the best..superb location, great atmosphere, excellent choice of bars (lots of local brew!) and the beach is a stone’s throw away. The hostel is superbly run and the staff are awesome - Hannah who welcomed me at check in, instantly made the place feel like home and was always happy to help throughout my stay as were the rest of the team. With more renovation work on going, I can’t wait to stop by next year!

• 15th Nov 2014

Thanks for the great comments!

I've always loved that hostel and I keep going back every year ! The beds are perfect (for a hostel) and I like the fact that there's curtain. The emplacement is awesome and the employee are always smiling and do a perfect job. If you go at this hostel say Hi to Hannah at the front desk, she's the best ! The only think that I could hope for a change its the showers because they're kind of sketchy.

• 5th Nov 2014

We'll be sure to tell Hannah you said hello! New management has taken over OBI and showers are on our list of things. So hopefully when you come back again next summer, you'll be pleased. In the meantime, we are keeping them clean and the water hot.

I was very happy to have found Ocean Beach Hostel and overall it was great! My one dissatisfaction was that on several nights there was a lot of noise into the late evening and early morning.

• 4th Nov 2014

Thanks for your feedback. We apologize about the noise. Seems some of our guests were having too good a time and we've worked to rectify that. We're glad you had a great stay overall.

Everything is perfect and crazy in OBI hostel. A great place to stay in san diego

LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF MY STAY :D

• 12th Oct 2014

This hostel is the best!! Very laid back, staff is awesome, location couldn't be better, 5 min walk from the beach.

Great Staff, nice location at the beach, very relaxed atmosphere, cheap surfboards, beachtowels... to be continued. If you want to stay at Ocean Beach, do it here!

If you feel that you dont have to stay close to the beach and all the bars, stay in the hostel in Point loma instead!