San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

Very decent hostel, good rooms, close walk to market street. Place is clean and the staff is polite! Also lots of stuff to do in the common room such as a pool table, ps4, and free coffee all day long. Some things could be better but hey it's a hostel. 8/10, I'm gonna stay here for my remaining 2 weeks.

• 26th Mar 2015
  • Sweden

Good staff, great location, good faciluties for backpackers.

• 22nd Mar 2015

Only critique is that I would've wanted sinks on all floors.

• 20th Mar 2015

Overall good...had only some problems like the elevator and some bathrooms. Great experience with the other guests!

It's okay if you're spending most of your time outside the hostel. It does the basic job, but there were some issues with the bathrooms - toilets clogging and toilet paper running out by the end of the day. The showers had only one temperature. The whole place was not kept cleanly and smelled moldy. I wasn't impressed by the management or it's upkeep. It's location to public transit is good but walking back at night did not feel very safe. Just have low expectations for the hostel and enjoy SF!

• 14th Mar 2015

Noice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnYi3z56RE

• 14th Mar 2015

I had to cancel our stay. Our flight to San Francisco was canceled because of the weather on March 4th. Subsequently we did not stay at the hostel either. I gave all averages, so you would get this message. I am getting to many e mails from hostelworld. Sometimes twice a day. Really? I have not opened/read one.........If I need to book with hostelworld, I'll find you.

• 11th Mar 2015

Dodgey area, rubbish wifi can't get it in your room. No lockers in rooms. Breakfast is terrible. And it's a total rip off

The hostel is very well located and cheap, which is why I would recommend it to friends. The rest is fine, but far from amazing! The breakfast is disappointing, as there are only two spots to cook pancakes at the same time, the pans are old and sticky... I used it once during my 6 nights stay.

After reading the reviews, I opted to book an ensuite room. Glad I did! I used the toilet on the floor once and it was tiny - like, knees touching the door while sitting on the toilet tiny. As others mentioned, it isn't in the nicest area. However, it really is a good location as long as you don't travel alone at night and keep to yourself. The common room was gross! Sticky beer floor. Luckily the bathrooms and rooms, while showing a little age, were clean. Overall, you get what you pay

The common room / dining room could have been kept a lot cleaner. The tables should be wiped down more frequently. A couple of times the plastic cutlery container was empty. That could have been avoided by keeping tabs on that. The room could have been better vacuumed after guests leave

• 7th Mar 2015

They have a very 'broad' interpretation of the word INCLUDED, to put it nicely. The towels AREN'T included: you can buy a 'shower' towel from them for $5 that's more like a napkin in texture and not worth the money. I had an "argument" with one of the young women at the front desk about the Airport Transfer, which ISN'T included in the price either, how they suggest in hostelworld.com. They "provide" the help of contacting the shuttle service for you, but you'll have to pay the same as online.

I had an amazing time love the staff and definitely staying there again when I visit!

• 6th Mar 2015

Loved the staff here. Donna was amazing! There were a few times some ppl came in and harassed the staff. Police were called. It was quite overwhelming. Location, amazing! I got everywhere with ease! The shower quarters were terrible. Some were flooded and some just didn't work. I had to scowl the building to find one that worked on the top floor. Ended up using female showers. Apologies there. I'd stay again for value, loved my trip but they should consider fixing the bathrooms.

The hostel overbooked the room a friend and I were staying at and we had to deal with moving beds/rooms two nights in a row. Facilities are not as clean, and it feels dusty (perhaps lack of vacuuming).

The hostel was in an ideal location. It was only a 2 minute walk from the Powell St. BART, making it really accessible. The staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. I definitely think that the price matched the quality.

• 4th Mar 2015

You definitely get what you pay for staying here. The only issues I had was with the flimsy mattress' on the bed; the very poor working showers and the general cleanliness off the room. The showers (on the 5th floor), were shocking! Hardly any water comes out of the shower head and that water, 40% of the time, was hot. As for the cleanliness of the room, I don't think it has had a good vacuuming in a long time. The collection of old contact lenses down the side of the bed told me this.

The rooms don't have light and plug per bed, the beds are not comfortable and they don't provide pillow cases. The elevator is kinda bad, don't talking about the front desk guy that work during the night that doesn't explain the things very well. The good thing is that they provide free pancakes.

When we arrived, the staff were more interested in chatting together than with us. Cleanliness and facilities are poor, the bed was uncomfortable and the room had a bad smell. Our room was next to restrooms, shower and staircase so we could clearly hear people running in the stairs and having a loud chat in the middle of night. Wi-fi and the location are good, the breakfast is ok. You'll need your own towel and earplugs.

• 2nd Mar 2015
  • Finland

This was one of the worst experience I had with a hostel. Booked a suite room, but once I got there, the rooms were not available, and I had to get another room. They did not care about the reservation. The staff is really bad at resolving problems, specially the manager. All bathrooms are terrible, they don't clean it frequently, and the water plumbing is terrible. You get no water at all for showering. Never coming back again.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5