San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

Would not recommend this hostel at all to be honest. The building literally looks like it may crumble. One member of the staff team was accommodating, but the rest were pretty unhelpful and seemed they would much rather be anywhere, but at the hostel. Atmosphere was average - was sometimes fun in the common area where you could chill with fellow travellers which was probably the only ok thing about this place. No air con which made sleeping incredibly difficult in the squashed room.

• 27th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

The lady at the front desk was so rude I still can't get over how rude she was !! She was on her phone while I was at the desk trying to check in , she didn't explain anything worse hostel dirty and so expensive!!

• 27th Aug 2015

San Francisco International Hostel: Overall it’s in a great downtown location and is a decent price. Pros: • Free make-your-own pancakes for brekkie • Two free wifi connections – no good in the evening • Relatively quiet when you have a room away from the street Cons: • Toilets – barely any, no taps to wash your hands – just sanitiser, frequently filthy or out of order • One shower per floor (when in use-occupies 2nd toilet) • Only small lockers available on the first floor - BYO lock

I doubt this is the worst hostel in the world, but it's the worst one I've ever stayed in. And keep in mind that I live in a tent in a national park, so my standards are low. Pros: --good atmosphere in common area. Plenty of parties. --decent location Cons: --Staff was hit-or-miss. One of them was incredibly rude to my friend to the point where she switched hostels. --Rooms are small, stuffy, poorly equipped, & the beds unbelievably uncomfortable. The wire almost poked through my back.

• 19th Aug 2015

Smell throughout the hostel, thin walls, very worn down, pretty poor. However, good central location and decent value. Good common and social area.

• 18th Aug 2015

To be fair first night I got there the guy at the front desk was more than helpful in getting me a room to myself due to jetlag. I asked the guy who was on the desk the following morning if I could pay to stay in the room baring in mind I had already paid for stay upfront he charged me an additional $120 and couldn't have been more unhelpful. I got the impression my request was a nuisance to him. Sink in room took 10 mins to drain water and communal toilet is so small you can't move.

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

Hostelworld is the greatest place. I have not seen like this before. Best place even better. I really love to come again. Thank you 😊 very much.

• 17th Aug 2015
  • Pakistan

Breakfast is make your own pancake which did not last until 9, so sometimes there was no breakfast. Beds are unstable and I felt like I would fall down. If you did not bring your own towel ypu had to buy it. It did not say so anywhere. The lamp whent out in our WC and the staff did not fix it for atleast two day (thats when I left). It was just way too expensive, maybe it's OK if you're only staying one day....

• 14th Aug 2015
  • Sweden

Our room had a bathroom, door nailed shut with out of order on it, leaving no where on the floor to brush our teeth. the elevator is rated for 6 poverflowed every nightt its self rated for 2 by the staff and feels dodgy. Our room had a rubbish pile under the bed. the urinal overflowed every night, its probably still blocked. Crackheads thrive outside. Its a dangerous area with drugs being offered to us every day. Some guy shot up 2 doors down one night and threw the needle in the gutter.

• 12th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Location is excellent and good price for SF. Suited me for the one night I was staying there.

Nice place, amazing stuff and good location! Just few blocks from metro and bus station, grocery stores, walking distance to union park and Chinatown. If I will travel to SF again I know where I am staying :)

The place is really good located however is pricy and stinky.

• 11th Aug 2015

the room we got, 215, had a stinky closet and no sink, which didnt really bother us, but omg the closet.... it smelled like something died in there. when we were doing laundry there was a sign posted about drying your clothes in the room and it moldying up the walls and leaving a stench, thats what i think happened in ours. anyways, the staff was really nice and accomodating! we stayed for a few nights and the staff really grows on you, theyre so nice ✨

Bathrooms were a little inconvenient, everything else was ok

No lockers in the room. Windows unprovided with curtains.

Staff were extremely friendly and went the extra mile to help wherever they could.

• 7th Aug 2015

There were no windows in our room. The carpets smelt and our room was next to the bathroom, which you could smell sometimes. the pillows smelt really bad and on the ceiling was a big stain.

Sheets have holes, bathrooms are dirty, hostel and surrounding area loud, breakfast and coffee awful. Not recommended at all.

• 6th Aug 2015

This hostel has a strong smell of urine throughout - including the sheets. The security is minimal to none especially considering that there are a lot of homeless people around: that normally wouldn't be an issue if the security to get in was good. The staff were quite dismissive and unhelpful. We actually checked out three nights early because we could not stand our clothes smelling of urine, and the lack of cleanliness in bathroom. I would really recommend you stay at an other hostel.

Facilities - a lack of toilets. Two per floor with one containing a shower so occupied for a long period of time. One out of order on my floor. When you wanted to use the toilet you had to go hunting on the various floors to find one that was free. (Some rooms contained a toilet but mine didn't). Hostel seemed a little tired. I noticed that a nearby hostel had closed and wonder if this one will go the same way. Free computer use excellent. Other hostels charge.

• 3rd Aug 2015