San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

1936 Total Reviews

Well, I Found myself into a fire in the kitchen because a girl for got the OIL bottle on the grill. No one from the staff even realized that. The kitchen And the pot are old And dirty. The position is ok though.

The receptionists were not very friendly. The room was very old, with few outlets for charging electronic devices. The shower wasn't working. The quality of the bed was terrible.

• 21st Aug 2014

Excellent staff, happy to help in anyway possible. Early check in not available

Honestly, worst hostel ever.

• 16th Aug 2014
  • Chile

So myself and my boyfriend stayed here for 3 nights. We were delighted they could upgrade us to a private room. This hostel is very large and lots of people coming and going the lift is a nightmare to get it takes a good while and only 2 at a time with luggage. There is an overall terrible smell of old and damp in the entire hostel. The bathrooms are also a night mare to get into. the kitchen is modern and well equipped but can be dirty at times. Good hostel to stay in if you plan not being ther

• 15th Aug 2014

This hostel is good located in downtown San Fran. Not so nice is the air in the whole building. It just does not move because many rooms does not have windows to the outside, but just to an internal courtyard. If you have the choice I definitely recommend the Orange Village Hostel around the corner.

• 15th Aug 2014

Overall the location is nice! Its two blocks from Union Square although you have to go down the street a ways. The staff were helpful! They see alot of foreigners and travellers so they know their stuff, San Fran hotspots wise. The people they stick you with is a hit or miss, they can't really control that haha, but the common room was really useful! Wifi was spotty but they make do haha. I stayed on the fourth floor and I showered on the third cause they have a brighter bigger common shower room

Honestly, if you can find somewhere better go for it. This is a last resort and I would not recommend it as a first choice. I booked a room with girls, I got a room with boys. It smells bad, the cleaners are good but there is only so much they can do with a run down building. Furniture broken and tatty. Poor facilities and atmosphere.

The place is quite old. We stayed for a couple nights and though they did empty the trash bins every day while we were out in the day, we could still see the litter that was under our bed since we checked in till the moment we checked out. The water pressure of the shower was always too weak and we couldnt control the water temperature. But overall, the price was fair and it wasnt like it was filthy to stay for a few nights.

Great location. The place seemed kind of dead when I was there. Could do a better job communicating issues about broken facilities.

It was a great first experience staying in a hostel. I would recommend this location to others! Friendly people everywhere.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Philippines

This hostel could improve with staff that are trained in customer service that are employed rather volunteers! The bathrooms don't have sinks in...however they do have black slime covered showers that just like the toilets rarely work! If the fire alarm sounds don't ask the lady at reception what you should do because she will just shrug her shoulders and point to the common room (two nights in a row at 12.30am) DO NOT GO TO THIS HOSTEL UNLESS YOU ARE DESPORATE! It's not even cheap.

Only complaint is the free pancake breakfast - its a free for all and most people there while we were would make 4 or 5 large ones so the batter ran out quickly.

Well, I guess I'd really say that you get what you pay for. This hostel was a good place to camp out for the night because I didn't have any other options, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice if I was staying for more than 1 night. The bathrooms were dirty, toilet paper gone, trash over flowing and the mattresses in my room were not clean. Luckily, I had read reviews on hostel world before and expected that, so I brought a sleeping bag for my bed, which worked fine.

not a very clean hostel staff parttially arrogant, very simple but it is ok if you want to stay for jus 30$ close to the center of san francisco.

This hostel is utterly disgusting. We arrived late and tired and were overcharged double what we should have paid. We only noticed the mistake in the morning and the staff were rude, unhelpful and refused to reimburse us. The room had no light switch, was damp. The whole place smelled. Their cleaning is appalling, as is their service. Avoid at all costs.

I was on the sixth floor and just having one bathroom/1 shower for the entire floor is a bit risky. also, the elevator didn't work properly, which is not such a big problem without luggage but having to carry up all the bags it a bit annoying. also there were only 2 power outlets in the room for 4 people. keeping in mind that everyone travels with at least a phone plus maybe a camera etc this is not really sufficient.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Austria

this is the worst hostel i have ever ever stayed at...and ive stayed in quite a few places...bed bugs, dirty sheets, bunk bed broke down (!), elevator broken (6 floors with luggage???), 3 wrong fire alarms in one week (all around 2am!), stuff got stolen, rooms VERY dirty! i have stayed in so many hostels and consider myself a traveller, whos needs are very easily met...not in this hostel! and dont complain to the stuff about any of this...they will get angry!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Same sheets for differents travelers... No miroir or sink in any bathroom... No activitites even though there is a stage on the 1st floor...

I would stay here again if I ever come back to San Francisco. It is located close to bus terminals and to shopping malls. There are fastfood outlets nearby. It would be much better though if the management could still improve the beds. It was not so easy to climb onto the upper bunks.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7