San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, California, USA

Great location: close to the main st and shops. The breakfast could be healthier: just pancakes gets a bit boring after 3 days and its not that nutritious. The kitchen facilities could be better. There were no plates for breakfast! Showers and toilets are a bit weird with no sink in them. But there's sinks in the bedrooms instead. But overall a fine place to stay in San Fran.

It may be a good place for people interested in the free beer, but as for me I thought the neighbourhood was quite unsafe though it is in the center, and that the infrastructures were average

Overall I felt really safe and it had a great vibe. My one complaint it that you did not have soap anywhere or hand sanitizer which was less than higenic....

• 30th Aug 2013

Nice hostel, except that there were fleas or some other insects that bite me during the night! My arms and legs are full of bite-marks!

• 30th Aug 2013
  • Finland

Rooms were dirty. As well as kitchen. The stove so dirty, you almost don't want to cook on it. The rooms and bathrooms were not cleaned daily, and the bathroom was full of black mould, which is not good for health. The uncleanliness attracted bugs and most of us in our room were bitten, and some even had bad reaction from the multiple bites. The location may be great, but that is it.... Disappointed

Hostel room smelt of mold really bad, floor was badly stains and the curtain was a sheet. Not a bad place to stay, just a little run down for the price you pay...SF is expensive, but you do expect a little more that stained floors, one shower per floor, when paying $36 p/night! Lockers are tiny, enough for a DSLR, and a notebook maybe, but won't fit a reg. laptop, no other lockers available, also they don't store luggage there, you have to store it 3 doors down at the bike rental place.

Free beer every night, and free pool and pancakes whenever you like

The place stank and they first put me into a room that was allready full. But then I got upgraded into a 2 bed room without being charged and there is free beer in the evening. The free pancakes you have to make yourself but they're short on plates and cutlery. Still I recommend it as it is good value concidering San Fran prices and the location is prime.

Traveled for months around Europe and it turns out that the best hostel is here in San Francisco. The staff are hilarious and fun, so are the guests. Free beer every night make this an amazing party hostel and a wonderful place to meet people.

• 27th Aug 2013

When I arrived I checked in and couldn't go to my room until 3pm, I stored my bag in the storage area which at 1st I couldn't find so asked a member of staff for help. She was rude, clearly didn't want to help me and I felt like I was putting her out of her way. The hostel is surrounded by people begging. To say the hostel was filthy is an understatement. The bathrooms had hairs on the walls, I had to pick hairs off my mattress and the kitchen was impossible to use it was dirty.

I has really good party there!!!

• 26th Aug 2013

The first room of my stay was awful.

• 24th Aug 2013
  • Taiwan

too many bums are around this area and hella annoying and not safe at all but staffs were nice and room was decent sized.

• 23rd Aug 2013
  • Japan

Great hostel....great people...great location....clean!!!

was ok....

It was dirty, the showers actually disgusting. I didn't expect much, but it was worse than expected. On top of that, when I wanted to move out after 2 days, they were not willing to give me a refund for at least some of the remaining 12 nights I had already paid for. When I came back from travels after 6 nights, my bed was occupied by someone else (I didn't get a refund, remember!), so I had to move to another room for the last few nights... Worst experience ever.

Decent hostel, everything you need when travelling.. Great social areas to chill out and things to do such as DRINK FREE BEER!! Bedrooms and bathrooms clean, Kitchen fine, washing and drying facilities good! Pretty dodgy area when you arrive but nothing will surprise you after a few days in San Francisco!! Amazing place, great people, would definitely return!!

IJ is amaaaazing!

Really nice

• 19th Aug 2013
  • China

When I pay 40$ for a dorm with 8 beds and an enclosed bathroom I'd expect that the bathroom door can actually be closed! The staff told me at the check-in that I would have to show my key for security reasons when entering the facility. Well they checked hardly anyone although the area doesn't feel safe. Not worth the money!

• 18th Aug 2013