San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

1978 Total Reviews

I should've taken the negative reviews into consideration before staying here.. our 4 bed room was right next to the stairwell where people essentially yelled until 3am, the room was stuffy and warm, and there weren't enough bathrooms. While I was there the elevator stopped working, trapping 3 people inside, and it took the staff 30 minutes to help with the situation, even giving me attitude when I told them there were people in trouble.. It is the cheapest in San Fran, sadly that's all it is.

When we told them about the large hole in the window in our room, all they said was that they already knew. When we asked if they had duct tape or something to fix it with, we were given a thin airline blanket (it said delta on it) to stuff in the hole (but the hole was too big to do this). It was not fixed in the four nights we were there. Other than that, it was a great location with free beer and an awesome value for what we paid.

• 8th Dec 2013

This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in, but the heat worked, the water was hot and my sheets were clean. Unfortunately there were no lockers in the room and insufficient lockers downstairs. The showers were disgusting, the place smelled (I assumed because you're requested to not flush toilet paper), the kitchen was lacking, and other residents were often loud.

• 8th Dec 2013

The wifi is terrible. Also. did not like that I was woken up at 2 am by people who had just checked in.

• 6th Dec 2013

Perfectly adequate place.

This hostel is maybe cheap but SOOOO DIRTY !!! Showers are disgusting and doesn't work well... Some staff members are so unpolite and disagreeable !!

What a great hostel. Lovely people, free beer, great location, free beer, enjoyable tours, free beer. The only thing I would change is the large amount of homeless people that inhabit the surrounding streets (wouldn't we all in an ideal life). Other than that it is great, a single block to most transport links and union square etc. The hippy tours are worth the money as well. And did I mention free beer??

The experience in SF international hostel was nice. I stayed there for 3 days and i really satisfied with its location(it was perfect) and free pancakes. Cleanliness was good also, insuite room was clean enough. The only thing i though poor was a 'noisy' and 'cold' room. in case of noises, cuz the hostel is in the center of the downtown, i konw it's unavoidable. However, i think the rooms were cold at night and the blanket the hostel provided was thin. the staffs was not that kind, but it was ok

• 29th Nov 2013
  • South Korea

I had tons of fun.

• 27th Nov 2013

The best thing you can say about this hostel is that it's cheap! It is quite hard to get a shower in the morning and some of the showers only had boiling water! Or you could use the communal showers... if you're not shy! No plug sockets in the room I was in. Don't turn the wrong way out of the hostel or you're in homeless-ville. Free beer/beer pong if you like that sort of thing. Best place to meet people is the kitchen cooking pancakes. Main common room bit impersonal but second is OK.

Fantastic location and price. They guy who seemed to be in charge (EJ I think was his name) was super helpful and friendly. Very good hostel

It's just so dirty. Whenever I took a shower, I felt disgusting. I know it is not a 5 star hotel, but it's just too much dirty. Especially rest room!!!

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • South Korea

I would recommend that the hostel quit the cheap beer in the basement and spend the money on some substantial breakfast and decent coffee. Furthermore, I didn't feel the need to go to Alcatraz, as room 506 was like a prison cell with an extremely uncomfortable bed and only one light source. I feel like this hostel has a lot of potential. Too bad it is not living up to hostel standards.

I stayed in here for 5 nights Excellent location that 3 mins to metro and cable car station Bring a lock as the lockers are not enough Two computers in total are available so bring your laptop if you need it desperately 12-1pm kitchen closed I am not annoyed by bed bugs Two plug in places in my room Poor wifi in my room

• 21st Nov 2013
  • Hong Kong

- SOOO DIRTY, showers are just terrible !! - Staff disagreeable and unpolite !! -Free lockers ? There is hundreds of people and only few lockers. Never had the opportunity to use one ! -Laundry ? The machine are always broken. Clothes soak of water. add to pay extra. 1 guy even got stolen his clothes. -The staff super unfriendly, they don't care, too many people. Even worse this asian guy call EJ, the manager act like a king and kick out people if he don't like them. I had the sad exp.

The bathrooms can be cleaner

-Free lockers ? There is hundreds of people and only few lockers. Never had the opportunity to use one ! -Laundry ? The machine are always broken. Clothes soak of water. add to pay extra. 1 guy even got stolen his clothes. -The staff super unfriendly, they don't care, too many people. Even worse this asian guy call EJ, the manager act like a king and kick out people if he don't like them. I had the sad exp. -Free wifi ? Don't expect to have any in your room, only common room.

The restrooms kept getting clogged. They offer free beer every night at 9:30 which is really cool. How ever right before they begin the Fiesta, a guy with a loud blow horn goes to every floor and announces it to the whole building felt like a boot camp a little. It is also very loud since everyone is drunk by midnight. So bring ear plugs and a sleep mask if you are planning on staying there for an extended period.

• 17th Nov 2013

The room was very un-clean, especially the bathroom.

Amazing hostel. Friendly staff. Nice rooms and decent showers. Free pancakes and beer every night is amazing

• 16th Nov 2013