San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

This hostel has a strong smell of urine throughout - including the sheets. The security is minimal to none especially considering that there are a lot of homeless people around: that normally wouldn't be an issue if the security to get in was good. The staff were quite dismissive and unhelpful. We actually checked out three nights early because we could not stand our clothes smelling of urine, and the lack of cleanliness in bathroom. I would really recommend you stay at an other hostel.

Facilities - a lack of toilets. Two per floor with one containing a shower so occupied for a long period of time. One out of order on my floor. When you wanted to use the toilet you had to go hunting on the various floors to find one that was free. (Some rooms contained a toilet but mine didn't). Hostel seemed a little tired. I noticed that a nearby hostel had closed and wonder if this one will go the same way. Free computer use excellent. Other hostels charge.

• 3rd Aug 2015

The location of this hostel is in a very undesirable area, where they suggest you do not want to walk around during the day and especially not at night. However if you walk a few blocks up you reach union square where you can easily get a bus or tram around the city. The hostel itself was ok, however i found the beds very uncomfortable and the one toilet and shower to around 40 people on a floor a bit odd, therefore you can imagine the state of it.

+ Great location, nice lobby with plenty of oppurtunities to have fun, clean rooms, easy to change my reservation - showers smelled badly (but were clean though), kitchen (and fridge) closes at 10

There are only 2 bathroom areas per sex. If you are far from them, it quite a walk, esp. at night. Plus, bathrooms need to be cleaned more at night because shredded toilet paper built up in stalls between evening and next afternoon. During morning there was plenty hair in shower drain. So while the bathrooms are generally clean, it needed upkeep.

• 30th Jul 2015

Not happy with their policy on friends of guest entering the hostel. I've stay in a lot of hostels and in every hostel I've stayed in, you've been allowed a friend to enter the common area of the hostel, as long as they sign in. But for some reason this hostel doesn't allow that. My friend was rudely escorted out the building, because she wasn't a guest. Understandable if she was in my room, but she wasn't. She was sat in the common area with about 5 other people who weren't guest!

• 29th Jul 2015
  • Wales

There is only one kitchen for a huge hostel, and also few restrooms (which were often blocked during my stay).the staff seemed to be rather new, as it seemed like only one of them knew what exactly to do at checkin. I would also like to mention that checking in when arriving earlier than three was only possible for an extra 15 dollars, which in my opinion is asked a lot (especially if the rooms are actually already cleaned and ready). Location is amazing though.

The place is 1000 degrees, with no windows or fans. No one should ever stay there. I wouldn't stay there again if it was free.

• 29th Jul 2015

I am not the kind of person to complain, but this place really sucked. We found a cocktoack falling from the roof of the shower. The walls were so thin that we could here everything happining in one of the 6 floors of the hostel (because most room face a courtyard). The staff was rude and the atmosphere was bad. The breakfast is from 6:30 until 9, which i think doesn't make sense for a backpacker's place. The luggage room is left unattended and pretty unsafe. Don't go there.

• 27th Jul 2015

I expecting more clean in this facility

• 25th Jul 2015

I really liked staying here, because of the location and price. I also had lovely girls share my room. That being said, the hostel was not very clean, and there were a lot of very 'interesting' characters hanging around the hostel. I was glad I wasn't sharing a room with them... I felt that my belongings weren't very safe there either, even though lockers were provided. If staying here, I would recommend asking for a room not on the street, as it was VERY loud.

Old, very old hostel. You can't lock the door, it's broken, nobody cares. Bathrooms are unclean. Sheets are dirty, I have found hair in it. There's no fun, no great facilities. An absolute disgrace. Urgently needs renovation.

unfriendly staff, dirty rooms/ bathrooms, poor facilities (one sink for two floors?!), poor breakfast selection, unsociable atmosphere (organised evening activities would help)

• 24th Jul 2015

The rooms were incredibly dirty. I wasn't expecting a super clean, Hotel-like room, but these rooms were bad. We had a four person room. The size wasn't too bad. You have no real way of know whether or the not the sheets have been changed because they only give a top sheet and a pillow case when you check in. Oh, we found a huge roach (water bug) in the room. Disgusting. The bathrooms are also gross and I don't even think they're ever cleaned. Even for the price, totally not worth it.

• 24th Jul 2015

No sink in our room for four persons and no sink in the restrooms on our floor. We had no possibility to brush our teeth or wash our hands on our floor. I would not recommand the hostel to my friends

• 24th Jul 2015

rooms very small, many toilets and showers not work and water pressure not strong, common areas great, staff friendly and helpful, not give you a towel

Excellent hostel. Good atmosphere. Helpful staff. The best common area I've ever been.

Staff were friendly and very helpful. Rooms small without. lockers. No towels given. Many toilets and showers don´t work properly and showers have poor water pressure. Toilets not have sinks in them to wash hands. Big common areas which is great for using computer, relaxing and meeting others.

I made a mistake with this hostel as I got it confused with the YHA hostel further up Mason St. This hostel is really old run down and dirty . Seriously you guys tidy your act up this is not good enough for Central San Francisco. Go up the road to the YHA hostel and see how a decent hostel should be run. It was bad staying there and would be awful to work there. Very unimpressed.

Horrible costume service! I was suppose to get there at 3pm got there at 6:40pm and still didn't have a clean room, not even the sheets had been change. Had to stay awake waiting for a blanket. Staff wasn't friendly only a Brazilian Guy did what he cloud to help me.

View all San Francisco Hostels