San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

It was really nice stay, only think could be a bit improved are the showers.

I must say I really enjoyed my time here! Apprehensive to book due to location and past reviews, but for the price in San Fran, you can't beat it! Good vibe entire time, people always playing games, chatting & drinking in common room at night, wifi was good, deals with bike hire and shuttles to airport were handy, free pancakes in the morning. Location was close to everything, with busses, trams and the Bart at your door step. Bed was ok, bit noisy. Showers could be cleaner. Def value for money!

Great hostel in the heart of San Francisco. Good atmosphere with 2 common rooms i prefer the 1st floor. Because it's not much that cold :-). The facilities are ok. I really love the free pancakes in the morning. Never experience that.

I had a great time staying at this Hostel. The location was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• 14th Apr 2015

Our room wasn't cleaned and another guest had moved onto a new bed (so the 2 beds for us had been used). I asked if the beds could be made up and told yes but none ever came. The bathroom was filthy and obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while - the sink had a think layer of gunk. Wasn't given advice about where things were (kitchen etc) or about the neighbourhood / city. Also $5 for a tiny thin towel is ridiculous.

• 11th Apr 2015

Room was dirty, moldy, facilities were badly out of shape. The entire hostel smelled of urine and feces.

• 10th Apr 2015

In the name of breakfast they provide "only" pancake batter and you are suppose to prepare it at your own. Staff is not at all cooperative in any sense. no cleanliness, washrooms were dirty , no handwash/sanitiziers or water to wash your hands...it makes your life miserable. i have been to other hostels in USA..they are million times better than this place. I would suggest Hostelwords to please gather more clearer information on basic hostel aminites so that customers dont feel cheated.

• 5th Apr 2015
  • India

One of the dirtiest hostels I have ever been to, including all the ones in developing and second and third world countries. Showers, toilets, and sinks were disgusting

• 5th Apr 2015

Whilst the location was excellent, the hostel was not everything it advertised itself to be. We were given a room on the sixth floor, which had one shower room and one toilet between far too many people; there was no sink in either of these and we had to clean our teeth over a very grimy bathtub - when we asked at reception the next morning we were told that there is a sink in the 'designated restroom on the third floor'. The sheets were also bleach stained - never a good sign.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Room was extremely dusty, I guess the carpet has not been cleaned in a very long time. Mattress was extremely thin therefore I basically slept on the metal bed frame. Only one sheet is given for the bed, therefore the same blanket is used by many guests. Quite unhygienic. I liked that the room was ensuited and that the bathroom was clean.

nice but not the best

• 31st Mar 2015
  • Ukraine

the bathroom on the floor we were on was covered in mold, the rooms are very run down! no lockers in the rooms and the lockers that r provided r small! staff were very helpful and location is pretty good!!

It's a great place to meet people and have fun! Can't go wrong with a free pool table, watch movies and even play Fifa 15 on PS4.

We have problems with our reservation because they said us that have sync problems with Hostelword, they give us a different room without inside bathroom. The cleanliness was very poor, the window was broken and it was impossible to get fresh air inside, the mattress has stains and the room was very dusty

You can't beat the price. You get what you pay for. This is definitely the cheapest hostel in town, and of course if you are not high maintenance you will be just fine staying in this hostel. I'm a girl stayed in a mixed gender 4 beds room. I really liked the location.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • China

Basic.. No shets ir blankets..elevator not working

Great location, terrible beds.

• 26th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Very decent hostel, good rooms, close walk to market street. Place is clean and the staff is polite! Also lots of stuff to do in the common room such as a pool table, ps4, and free coffee all day long. Some things could be better but hey it's a hostel. 8/10, I'm gonna stay here for my remaining 2 weeks.

It's an amazing hostel for young people who just want to enjoy the city and meet interesting people. There's always party at the lobby and the staff is really nice. The bathrooms are not really good though. The rooms were totally fine for the price. It was a perfect hostel for me, since I came by myself and wanted to meet people. Everyone was very open-minded and overly nice, so you're never alone! I would go there anytime again!

• 22nd Mar 2015

Good staff, great location, good faciluties for backpackers.

• 22nd Mar 2015