San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

1958 Total Reviews

not a very clean hostel staff parttially arrogant, very simple but it is ok if you want to stay for jus 30$ close to the center of san francisco.

This hostel is utterly disgusting. We arrived late and tired and were overcharged double what we should have paid. We only noticed the mistake in the morning and the staff were rude, unhelpful and refused to reimburse us. The room had no light switch, was damp. The whole place smelled. Their cleaning is appalling, as is their service. Avoid at all costs.

I was on the sixth floor and just having one bathroom/1 shower for the entire floor is a bit risky. also, the elevator didn't work properly, which is not such a big problem without luggage but having to carry up all the bags it a bit annoying. also there were only 2 power outlets in the room for 4 people. keeping in mind that everyone travels with at least a phone plus maybe a camera etc this is not really sufficient.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Austria

this is the worst hostel i have ever ever stayed at...and ive stayed in quite a few places...bed bugs, dirty sheets, bunk bed broke down (!), elevator broken (6 floors with luggage???), 3 wrong fire alarms in one week (all around 2am!), stuff got stolen, rooms VERY dirty! i have stayed in so many hostels and consider myself a traveller, whos needs are very easily met...not in this hostel! and dont complain to the stuff about any of this...they will get angry!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Same sheets for differents travelers... No miroir or sink in any bathroom... No activitites even though there is a stage on the 1st floor...

I would stay here again if I ever come back to San Francisco. It is located close to bus terminals and to shopping malls. There are fastfood outlets nearby. It would be much better though if the management could still improve the beds. It was not so easy to climb onto the upper bunks.

- Bed sheets weren't changed between guests (4 people rotated in my room during my stay, and I mentioned sheets hadn't been changed but reception did nothing) - Beds were broken so were incredibly uncomfortable - Wifi didn't work in the room - 2 people were shot, as in with a handgun, within 30 metres of the hostel (the first was right in front of the hostel) on 2 separate occasions in one week.

There is good for me. Nice location, so close with restaurants, shopping centers, sightseeings. The staffs are helpful and kind.

i heard the hostel is the biggest hostel and best affordable price in San francisco that's why i chose there. there is there. i like there because there are good staffs, location.

Nothing special.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Japan
  • All Male Group, 41+

Staff didn't know much about visiting the city. Kitchen was great!! However only 1 bathroom per floor. They organised events which was cool, and people there are friendly.

shower doesn't work,,

This neighborhood is very sketchy, especially for a single traveler. The security of the hostel is great, and I'm glad it's necessary to be buzzed in. I also liked that there there lockers provided. The staff was really cool, and gave great tips for where to go in the area.

annoying at night. cannot sleep well

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Taiwan

WiFi is slow and doesn't work sometime but their service are so nice

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Thailand

Worst hostel ever! I booked with time but when I got there there was a big line of people waiting to get a room. After approximate 1 hour we realized there were no rooms available not even for the people that already paid. They didnt have rooms available and they didnt know why. There were guys that had been waiting for 6 hours! They assigned the same beds to more than 1 person by mistake. I needed to pay for an expensive hotel cause they never got me a room. Staff terrible too. Never go here!

• Mexico

Amazing place, for me it was just perfect!

• 28th Jun 2014

There were numerous staffers around but only 1 or 2 helping out the people in line. There was a lot of confusion and numerous people before me were having problems getting a bed. The line for the front desk was long and slow moving. A lot of people were being told to return in a few hours, not sure if they would have a place to stay. I saw people at the desk and in line frustrated, angry and impatient. I had also heard they were overbooked. Very unorganized. I eventually stayed elsewhere.

• 28th Jun 2014

I was supposed to check in at 6pm. I was told to come back at 8pm. I did. I was told to come back at 9pm. I did. I then waited over an hour to get my key. Other people who had arrived after me had received their key earlier. Having to wait at the desk and listen to all the complaints I was disappointed I didn't ask for a cheaper rate. I was aware at the end of the hour plus wait that the site I booked from charged a higher rate for something less than what others got.

• 28th Jun 2014

This was the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I am covered in bed bug bites & apart from the fact the first room they gave us was full - our second room was so filthy! The mattress was covered in Mould & blood and the floor was so dirty we wore shoes the entire time. The whole place stunk & the second night we were there they were over booked with people waiting to check in until past 10pm at night.

View all San Francisco Hostels