San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

Not clean, smell in the room, not easy to operate windows. I ordered a room with a badroom but the shower was broken and there was sign on the door not to use it. No towels. Facilities old and disreputable. In comparison with other hostels and money value - not very good. I would probably not recomend this hostel to my friends.

• 18th May 2015
  • Czech Republic

Very much a party hostel: if you want to have a good time, i.e. drink inside then you can't do wrong with this hostel. Only real complaints are the lack of ventilation in the rooms (very stuffy), and that the staff can be quite rude/unfriendly. The water cooler is a real plus, as well as the free pancake breakfast (although the line can be quite long). Free coffee is nice but brewing can be very long. Showers are fairly dirty too. But overall, for the price/location, a good hostel.

Bunk beds are noisy.

Before I start mention, I was really unsatisfied this hostel. There was a so dirty all of facilities, too slow Wi-fi access. There was only washroom for shower per floor, even there was not hair dryer, tower, etc... It was the worst hotel for me. terrible. I don't want to remeber that hostel.

I had an excellent stay at this hostel. The workers all seemed professional and very nice. It was busy and at times it seemed under-staffed for so much to do. I don't expect a lot when I stay at a hostel, but I think you get your money's worth here for sure! I stayed here last year and I think it has improved. I hope to stay here again.

• 14th May 2015

The location is really good, we walked to Pier 39 in about 20min but there is a cable car station just in the next street, bus are also everywhere. Coffee and tea are available all day and you can make pancakes in the morning. We didn't wait very long so that was nice. The hostel is clean. For the price, this is a really good deal ! The street is safe even if you can see some homeless in it (like everywhere else in SF). Don't hesitate to go there !

• 14th May 2015

Stayed for 6 nights and thought hostel was great. Rooms were clean and pretty comfy! Common room was a great place to meet people, also hada pool table and play station. Staff were really friendly and helpful and location of hostel was ideal, it couldn't have been better situated. Only downside was breakfast where you had to wait in long queue to make your own pancakes and you have to book hostel online...staff didn't really seem able to book you in/check availability at the desk to extend stay.

• 13th May 2015

This hostel is very run down, There was one bathroom a girl could use on the floor I was on which was just a nightmare at times. The bed was probably the most uncomfortable bed I've slept in. The free pancakes and coffee is a good idea but I think paying for a better hostel and your own breakie is probably worth it.

the location is good.nearby subway station. but the reception service us too bad. people are even rude. not friendly. not helpful. they are careless. Not recommended

No sinks at the restroom...

You should avoid this hostel at any cost. We were so disappointed when we saw the room (we had a private two beds) that we decided to look for hotels and luckily we found some last minute rooms at good rates. It is dirty, smelly, noisy, and the room had no furniture apart from the beds. I cannot explain our disappointment when we saw the room. I have stayed in many hostels but this is the worst by far. Of course they did not accept to refund us. The room was so smelly and had no windows (!!!).

• 9th May 2015
  • Greece

Staff were incredibly rude and unhelpful. Seriously need to reconsider power points in the rooms as well as the horrid bathroom facilities

• 9th May 2015

Hostel was ok overall. Pretty outdated and rooms were very basic, but its in a good location (2 min walk from Powell station). Pretty big lounge area where most people hang out at night. I couldnt get any wifi in my room, only in the lounge area which was a problem. Also the laundry is only open at certain times of the day so i had to go out and find a laundromat which was pretty inconvenient when the hostel had one.

It is the worst hostel i have ever been . We stayed in 4 male room. It was very small . Two people cannot even walk at same time. Do not stay here.

• 7th May 2015
  • Turkey

I found the staff to be very courteous. The place was fairly clean, except for the bathrooms. It smelled and could be more inviting. I would suggest looking at some of the hostels in New Zealand and Australia, which are really first class. Overall, the hostel was a really good atmosphere.

Like what the other reviews stated, this place was just a place to sleep. The showers were mouldy, the wifi wasn't working in my room and it just felt like a really basic place.

Great hostel! Defenetely the biggest one I've been too. But I didn't notice that as a problem. The location can seem a little sketchy at first with all the homeless people outside. But I never encountered any problems with them. The kitchen is really big with all you need to make food, but honestly who wants to cook their own food in San Fransisco?! Every night seemed like a good party there. You can bring your own alcohol inside the common room. Good value for money!

I was disappointed by this hostel as I didn't like the atmosphere as in other hostels which is probably due to its size in a city like SF. Furthermore the facilities could be updated and refurnished. The hostel up the hill looked much nicer and more inviting but unfortunately was full during the time of my stay. The staff was friendly but not very informative about what was happening in town, which is a pity as I am assuming there is a ton to do and see apart from the usual tourist path.

• 30th Apr 2015

Stinky bathrooms. Old. Kitchen is locked during lunch hours & at 10pm ridic.

Neither good, nor bad, just ordinary hostel.

View all San Francisco Hostels