San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, California, USA

I really like the location of the hostel, it's so close to the BART station, and the downtown shopping district. There's also the cable car station just one street away from the hostel. I also appreciate the water dispenser in the kitchen, first time I see this in a hostel, it's really convenient and I do not have to fill my bottle from the tap. I can get hot water any time without boiling as well.

No free breakfast, just free pancake mix. The girls dormitory was dirty and the bathroom full of mold . But girls at reception were really kind.

• 7th Jan 2014

The facilities are rather old. It's ok, but the lack of mirrors really bothered me

I liked to stay there. The people works there is very enthusiastic, there is free beer every night and we can meet nice people from another countries and have fun without to leave the Hostel.

• 29th Dec 2013

A great place. Just please specify what we can have for the free breakfast.

Everything super, even got to borrow a hairdryer, friendly staff who gave me lotsa tips and a free city map :)

I had an amazing time in San Fran,the hostel has a great location and the free pancakes all day round and free beer in the evening are great. The only thing I found annoying was the state of the kitchen and the lack of plates. But it was good value for the money and definetly worth it!

I spent on $20 for a night, this is the cheapest place I stay. We lived in a 4 bedroom in suite, which has a bathroom. I stayed at other hostels in LA and San Diego where I spend ~$30 per night, but none of them has it own bathroom. And it is very close to the union square, China town and the Cable Car Stops. Although there are not enough lockers, I find it is safe to put things in the bedroom and the kitchen for storage. All in all, it is an excellent place for students.

cheap so no high expectations. the place is not so cozy.

Courteous Staff... Good location...limited breakfast in the morning... Valet parking supported by the staff via 3rd party...They check every person entering the hostel with room-keys making this a safe one...Very good hostel if one is budget conscious.. bath rooms are average and sometimes clogged...

This place was everything I needed and more as a US college student on break. The staff is awesome, and the free beer allows for everyone to connect with one another over a common ground. This hostel has made a big difference for my stay. So do yourself a favor and check it out.

• 19th Dec 2013

Perfect location but awful place. The room wasn't clean, it wasn't possible to close properly the window so it was cold. There was just a room with only max 30 lockers (for three floors!). In three days we saw just once a cleaning lady! the kitchen was very dirty

Clean more. Invest in a mop and table cleaner. That is my only complaint.

Excellent place!!

• 12th Dec 2013
  • Mexico

I should've taken the negative reviews into consideration before staying here.. our 4 bed room was right next to the stairwell where people essentially yelled until 3am, the room was stuffy and warm, and there weren't enough bathrooms. While I was there the elevator stopped working, trapping 3 people inside, and it took the staff 30 minutes to help with the situation, even giving me attitude when I told them there were people in trouble.. It is the cheapest in San Fran, sadly that's all it is.

When we told them about the large hole in the window in our room, all they said was that they already knew. When we asked if they had duct tape or something to fix it with, we were given a thin airline blanket (it said delta on it) to stuff in the hole (but the hole was too big to do this). It was not fixed in the four nights we were there. Other than that, it was a great location with free beer and an awesome value for what we paid.

• 8th Dec 2013

This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in, but the heat worked, the water was hot and my sheets were clean. Unfortunately there were no lockers in the room and insufficient lockers downstairs. The showers were disgusting, the place smelled (I assumed because you're requested to not flush toilet paper), the kitchen was lacking, and other residents were often loud.

• 8th Dec 2013

The wifi is terrible. Also. did not like that I was woken up at 2 am by people who had just checked in.

• 6th Dec 2013

Perfectly adequate place.

This hostel is maybe cheap but SOOOO DIRTY !!! Showers are disgusting and doesn't work well... Some staff members are so unpolite and disagreeable !!

View all San Francisco Hostels