San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

1943 Total Reviews

This was like the worst place I've ever seen in my life. Beds were damn dirty, same as the bathrooms, showers and the floors. The lounge was cold and barely nice furnitured, staff was kind of rude even though always helpful when it came to directions and things to do- but only then. They were totally unorganized, switching room requests impossible, because they didn't even know how many people they were hosting. The area was really bad, right next to the worst district

• 25th Jun 2014

Great location! Right off of Union Square. Very comfortable. I did pay the extra 6$ for the private bath, as I was traveling with my two teenaged daughters~ well worth it. The only downside was that I came into the city with my car.... by the time I paid for parking and the hostel I found out that I could have stayed at hotel /motel for the same price. Still this is a really nice hostel and so convenient! Lovely staff!

• 25th Jun 2014

the staff are not pretty good.

There are no taps on any of the bathroom basins, and the toilet/shower facilities per floor are ridiculously too inadequate. Also, whilst your staff handle complaints very well they need to be better informed about the rooms available - moving from twin private with ensuite to a four person shared without ensuite is NOT an upgrade!

• 24th Jun 2014

The blanket is soooooo thin and small that it's so cold at night even if it's in Summer. Hostel is good for party animals.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

I stayed in a mixed dorm room (4 bunk beds). The room is very simple, just the beds and no tables or chairs. The hostel provided clean sheets and pillow cover at check-in which you put on the bed yourself. The hostel doesn't provide towels and no locks to safely store your luggage. The bathrooms and toilets were also very dirty and smelled bad and have two climb two flights of stairs to go to the bathroom. On the upside, the location is great, and hostel provides free tea and coffee.

The staff were extremely unhelpful and rude. My friend and I needed to extend our stay by two nights and approached the reception staff 3 days before our time was up. They asked us to return tomorrow twice and on day of check out we were told they had no room for us. The bathrooms had very poor drainage and were not regularly stocked with paper or cleaned. Kitchen was lacking in basic appliances. The wifi was awful. I wouldn't stay again if I had no other options.

Leaky tap in room and a kitchen that closed at 11pm made the facilities poor.

• 20th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Good location, easy for travelling and eating.

This was the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. The bath tub in my room was really dirty, and even when I wanted to take a shower really bad, I was reconsidering after seeing it. It was disgusting. Wifi almost never worked. The 2 PC there were super slow and the internet there also wasnt working. When I approached the staff about it, they just said, that many people are probably online and that's why it was slow... but come on, we're in 2014...

The bathrooms is always so diry and don't have many sinks. Just to brush my teth I needed go dawnstairs all the time

• 14th Jun 2014

Staff were a little slow.. but location is amazing. Prices fluctuate, so depending on when you book, you'll be paying +/- $5 or so.

One of the worst hostel I stayed so far, the only good thing is the location and free Wifi. The staffs were rude, not friendly, no security. No working shower, no working sink and very poorly maintained rooms and bathrooms.

Was really unimpressed with this hostel and so were a number of people I met there. Luckily I only had to stay one night. I ordered an ensuite, and then the bathroom was screwed shut in my room. The bathroom on the floor did not have a basin to wash your hands after going to the toilet!! Half the showers hot and cold taps were broken. It was freezing the first night in my room, luckily i got a blanket - others weren't so lucky. Staff were most unhelpful and rude - very uninterested in helping!

I stayed on the 2nd floor - there was only one bathroom with shower for all the rooms at the 2nd floor - perhaps 40 - 50 people. This was very, very inconvenient. I was promised there should be a washing machine at the Hostel, but there was no washing machine. It was very, very inconvenient to me I could not wash .The internet connection was very slow and often broke down - this was very, very inconvenient. I was denied paying with two different banking cards, and forced to pay cash.

Good location right in the centre of town, near union square and Powell station. Friendly staff, decent facilities. Free wifi and good common area. Lots is stairs though.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Have Towels and toiletries like other locations

• 1st Jun 2014

Cold and a little bit smelly. And there is no water pressure.

I have been traveling around the US for a couple of months and this is not one of the best places I haved stayed. Not at all. Even though it has a great location is not clean and the beds are terrible! They seem to be very very used. If you don`t have a place to stay you could stay here but if you can choose something else I would recomend to do that. Its a very cool place to meet people if you are traveling by yourself.

The customer service there is lacking. They have no sense of urgency even if there is a line and then act annoyed if you have any questions. There was four people behind the counter and there was a line of people, no one even acknowledged we were standing there for at least five minutes, they were discussing the bus tours...NOT important when you have a line. They need to learn about priorities when it comes to CS. Also the bathrooms can be pretty bad which isn't all their fault.

View all San Francisco Hostels