San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

The lack of anywhere to secure goods in a room isn't great. Staying on the 4th floor makes the lockers in the 1st useless really. The bathrooms are not kept in the best state. With the exception of two staff they were rather rude and uninterested, To the point where you felt bad asking directions. The breakfast is good however.

Central location, decently clean, pancake breakfast, helpful staff, lots of young people.

Bathrooms dirty (hairs in plug, dust and wall paper peeling off wall) No locks on restroom or out of service No sink in rest room (was told sink in room but was not ,room 404) Area kinda central but was told don't go next block down as it is nick named "crack-town" Staff were friendly enough but a bit more care and maintenance might be in order considering how much they charge.

• 6th Jul 2015

An old place but it's close to a lot of cool things. Kind of grimy but not unclean, just the grossness that comes with such an old building I suppose. It was cheap and comfortable, so all good really.

NO SINK in the bathroom, bad backpackers...

The only good thing about this hostel was the location. Bathrooms were disgusting and I'm not one to usually complain. Laundry only being available from 5-11pm was also inconvenient. I guess you get what you pay for.

Great time while staying there !

• 30th Jun 2015

Showers were two floors away from the room. Beds consisted of steel bunk beds with a four inch foam mattress on top which was very uncomfortable as you could feel all the bars underneath. The pillows were paper thin. The wifi did not work and the atm wasn't working which was annoying.

Our room was not conncet with the wifi.

The only elevator is very slow. I bet it was made 100 years ago. It wasn't so clean as far as I remember. This hostel is pretty close to the Tenderloin, arguably the most dangerous place in San Fran but it's fairly easy to avoid. I have no idea why I got this information from other tourists rather than the staff in the beginning.

Poor condition of rooms, no sinks in shared bathrooms, but good breakfast, clean, and Location is right in the heart of the city

• 25th Jun 2015

Terrible hostel but fantastic location.

Bathroom was filthy and despite effort to ask staff to clean this took a long time and remained sub-standard. Friendly but ineffective staff and full of rude unsociable teenagers. Breakfast selection poor and that's if you could brave the kitchen where every cupboard appears to be falling off. Appreciate that it is low cost in a good area but this doesn't justifie lack of hygiene and safety.

• 16th Jun 2015

Location is really good!. Only take 3~5 minute from subway. But when i came into the room, smell was really awful!!

On my day of arrival I was told to goto a room which had not be cleaned after the last guest. I was then sent to another room, shortly after a staff member showed up at my door and told me I had to move to another room. The kitchen is closed during lunch, and the washing machines are un-usable to guests most of the day so the staff can wash sheets...I waited until 8:30pm before i could use one on the day before my departure. Baggae storage is NOT sercure at all.

• 12th Jun 2015

loud and hot rooms, no aircon, window only opens a few inches. Rooms are tiny, barely enough space for luggage. WiFi in room is so slow its useless. Highly overpriced, avoid, if somehow possible. Used plasters on floor. Extremely old, toilet seat broken, ...

Staff were rude, hostel was dirty, tiny rooms, smelt dreadful, very disappointed, would not stay here again.

Showers were bad and the slowest wifi I ever saw. Did not even have coverage in the room.

Great Hostel close to everything! Staff are very helpful and nice, and fantastic atmosphere! 10/10

• 7th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

WORST HOSTEL IN MY LIFE. DON'T GO THERE. It was so dirty, the only thing that they clean is the bathroom. Don't go in the showers. My sister got some bedbugs in her bed, we wanted to be refund but they have a no refund policy... we know why now! We changed room, but it was smelly and beds were still unconfortable. They offer free breakfast.... but there was a big pot full of 'pancake-mix' and we had to bake them in sticky and gross pans. Worst experience, the health service should go there!!!!!

View all San Francisco Hostels