San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

2070 Total Reviews

Honestly, if you can find somewhere better go for it. This is a last resort and I would not recommend it as a first choice. I booked a room with girls, I got a room with boys. It smells bad, the cleaners are good but there is only so much they can do with a run down building. Furniture broken and tatty. Poor facilities and atmosphere.

We noticed there we A LOT of empty beds, and so whenever we had to lengthen our stay they told it it was impossible because the hostel was ful. One of my roommates actually wanted to stay longer as well, and she had to leave. That night 6 out of 8 beds were empty! They didn't even have a good reason for this. Do they wanne loose money or something?!

• 12th Aug 2014

The place is quite old. We stayed for a couple nights and though they did empty the trash bins every day while we were out in the day, we could still see the litter that was under our bed since we checked in till the moment we checked out. The water pressure of the shower was always too weak and we couldnt control the water temperature. But overall, the price was fair and it wasnt like it was filthy to stay for a few nights.

Great location. The place seemed kind of dead when I was there. Could do a better job communicating issues about broken facilities.

It was a great first experience staying in a hostel. I would recommend this location to others! Friendly people everywhere.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Philippines

This hostel could improve with staff that are trained in customer service that are employed rather volunteers! The bathrooms don't have sinks in...however they do have black slime covered showers that just like the toilets rarely work! If the fire alarm sounds don't ask the lady at reception what you should do because she will just shrug her shoulders and point to the common room (two nights in a row at 12.30am) DO NOT GO TO THIS HOSTEL UNLESS YOU ARE DESPORATE! It's not even cheap.

Only complaint is the free pancake breakfast - its a free for all and most people there while we were would make 4 or 5 large ones so the batter ran out quickly.

Well, I guess I'd really say that you get what you pay for. This hostel was a good place to camp out for the night because I didn't have any other options, but it definitely wouldn't be my first choice if I was staying for more than 1 night. The bathrooms were dirty, toilet paper gone, trash over flowing and the mattresses in my room were not clean. Luckily, I had read reviews on hostel world before and expected that, so I brought a sleeping bag for my bed, which worked fine.

not a very clean hostel staff parttially arrogant, very simple but it is ok if you want to stay for jus 30$ close to the center of san francisco.

This hostel is utterly disgusting. We arrived late and tired and were overcharged double what we should have paid. We only noticed the mistake in the morning and the staff were rude, unhelpful and refused to reimburse us. The room had no light switch, was damp. The whole place smelled. Their cleaning is appalling, as is their service. Avoid at all costs.

I was on the sixth floor and just having one bathroom/1 shower for the entire floor is a bit risky. also, the elevator didn't work properly, which is not such a big problem without luggage but having to carry up all the bags it a bit annoying. also there were only 2 power outlets in the room for 4 people. keeping in mind that everyone travels with at least a phone plus maybe a camera etc this is not really sufficient.

• 28th Jul 2014
  • Austria

this is the worst hostel i have ever ever stayed at...and ive stayed in quite a few places...bed bugs, dirty sheets, bunk bed broke down (!), elevator broken (6 floors with luggage???), 3 wrong fire alarms in one week (all around 2am!), stuff got stolen, rooms VERY dirty! i have stayed in so many hostels and consider myself a traveller, whos needs are very easily met...not in this hostel! and dont complain to the stuff about any of this...they will get angry!

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Austria

Same sheets for differents travelers... No miroir or sink in any bathroom... No activitites even though there is a stage on the 1st floor...

I would stay here again if I ever come back to San Francisco. It is located close to bus terminals and to shopping malls. There are fastfood outlets nearby. It would be much better though if the management could still improve the beds. It was not so easy to climb onto the upper bunks.

- Bed sheets weren't changed between guests (4 people rotated in my room during my stay, and I mentioned sheets hadn't been changed but reception did nothing) - Beds were broken so were incredibly uncomfortable - Wifi didn't work in the room - 2 people were shot, as in with a handgun, within 30 metres of the hostel (the first was right in front of the hostel) on 2 separate occasions in one week.

There is good for me. Nice location, so close with restaurants, shopping centers, sightseeings. The staffs are helpful and kind.

i heard the hostel is the biggest hostel and best affordable price in San francisco that's why i chose there. there is there. i like there because there are good staffs, location.

Nothing special.

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Japan
  • All Male Group, 41+

Staff didn't know much about visiting the city. Kitchen was great!! However only 1 bathroom per floor. They organised events which was cool, and people there are friendly.

Nice staff and the location is excellent, everything in walking distance. The breakfast is the best one I've ever got offered in a hostel. The rooms are very modern, really comfortable beds. The common areas are nice. The only two things I didn't like was the size of the hostel and the price. It's huge and for that reason it is not so easy to get in touch with other travellers and it cost a lot money staying there, as a backpacker it is not the cheapest solution to choose this hostel.

View all San Francisco Hostels