San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

Hostel was ok overall. Pretty outdated and rooms were very basic, but its in a good location (2 min walk from Powell station). Pretty big lounge area where most people hang out at night. I couldnt get any wifi in my room, only in the lounge area which was a problem. Also the laundry is only open at certain times of the day so i had to go out and find a laundromat which was pretty inconvenient when the hostel had one.

It is the worst hostel i have ever been . We stayed in 4 male room. It was very small . Two people cannot even walk at same time. Do not stay here.

• 7th May 2015
  • Turkey

I found the staff to be very courteous. The place was fairly clean, except for the bathrooms. It smelled and could be more inviting. I would suggest looking at some of the hostels in New Zealand and Australia, which are really first class. Overall, the hostel was a really good atmosphere.

Like what the other reviews stated, this place was just a place to sleep. The showers were mouldy, the wifi wasn't working in my room and it just felt like a really basic place.

Great hostel! Defenetely the biggest one I've been too. But I didn't notice that as a problem. The location can seem a little sketchy at first with all the homeless people outside. But I never encountered any problems with them. The kitchen is really big with all you need to make food, but honestly who wants to cook their own food in San Fransisco?! Every night seemed like a good party there. You can bring your own alcohol inside the common room. Good value for money!

I was disappointed by this hostel as I didn't like the atmosphere as in other hostels which is probably due to its size in a city like SF. Furthermore the facilities could be updated and refurnished. The hostel up the hill looked much nicer and more inviting but unfortunately was full during the time of my stay. The staff was friendly but not very informative about what was happening in town, which is a pity as I am assuming there is a ton to do and see apart from the usual tourist path.

• 30th Apr 2015

Stinky bathrooms. Old. Kitchen is locked during lunch hours & at 10pm ridic.

Neither good, nor bad, just ordinary hostel.

I recomend !

Good value for San Francisco, nice common areas and spacious dorms. This hostel is well situated very close to Market Street and Powell station.

Pretty good value hostel comparing to other hostels but breakfast is poor because i do pancake by my sellf. Too crowd and not so comfortable to have breakfast.

It was really nice stay, only think could be a bit improved are the showers.

I must say I really enjoyed my time here! Apprehensive to book due to location and past reviews, but for the price in San Fran, you can't beat it! Good vibe entire time, people always playing games, chatting & drinking in common room at night, wifi was good, deals with bike hire and shuttles to airport were handy, free pancakes in the morning. Location was close to everything, with busses, trams and the Bart at your door step. Bed was ok, bit noisy. Showers could be cleaner. Def value for money!

Great hostel in the heart of San Francisco. Good atmosphere with 2 common rooms i prefer the 1st floor. Because it's not much that cold :-). The facilities are ok. I really love the free pancakes in the morning. Never experience that.

I had a great time staying at this Hostel. The location was great and the staff was very friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

• 14th Apr 2015

Our room wasn't cleaned and another guest had moved onto a new bed (so the 2 beds for us had been used). I asked if the beds could be made up and told yes but none ever came. The bathroom was filthy and obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while - the sink had a think layer of gunk. Wasn't given advice about where things were (kitchen etc) or about the neighbourhood / city. Also $5 for a tiny thin towel is ridiculous.

• 11th Apr 2015

Room was dirty, moldy, facilities were badly out of shape. The entire hostel smelled of urine and feces.

• 10th Apr 2015

In the name of breakfast they provide "only" pancake batter and you are suppose to prepare it at your own. Staff is not at all cooperative in any sense. no cleanliness, washrooms were dirty , no handwash/sanitiziers or water to wash your hands...it makes your life miserable. i have been to other hostels in USA..they are million times better than this place. I would suggest Hostelwords to please gather more clearer information on basic hostel aminites so that customers dont feel cheated.

• 5th Apr 2015
  • India

One of the dirtiest hostels I have ever been to, including all the ones in developing and second and third world countries. Showers, toilets, and sinks were disgusting

• 5th Apr 2015

pancakes all ypu can eat!

View all San Francisco Hostels