San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

1942 Total Reviews

Booked this as it had received high ratings on hostelworld.com and it is the absolute worst place! Me and my two friends had booked accommodation for 3 people for 2 night, but only got 2 beds due to it was fully booked. But we did have to pay for all three of us. The man at the front desk should not work whit service because he is the nastiest man i have ever met! Toilets without sinks, showers with poor water flow and a bad smell in all premises. We changed accommodation the following morning!

• 13th May 2014
  • Sweden

When I arrived, I made up the right away. I came back at midnight to find another guy in it. The man in the reception took 25 - 30 min to get me another bed. It would be good with numbers on the beds. The sheet are of 100 % nylon, not nice to sleep in. No breakfast. I can only recommend the location, very good. The rest: so, so.

It was nice, I´ll book again...

Staff we're ridiculously rude and unhelpful. The location is right in downtown, really close to all the big shops and bus routes which is great but unfortunately there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts in the same area.

While some staff are obviously better than others, most didn't seem to have much of a clue about the hostel facilities or city so weren't particularly helpful and check in was a mission. The dorm rooms are cosy with super squeaky bunk beds, but fine. There aren't personal lockers available in the rooms (but there are some available two floors down) and with only two toilets per floor between all the dorm rooms there is often quite a wait. Handy having a kitchen.

The hostel was clean and safe, but the area it was in was rough at night. Though, it is also close to Market street and handy for transport links. The hostel lacks some pretty basic facilities such as a laundry service/towel hire/printing and there is no free breakfast (which they advertise)... but the common areas are good and spacious and the free tea and coffee is lovely. The staff are all friendly but mostly don't know much about the area as they are all travellers working for free rooms.

• 8th May 2014

I wish shower cabins had hooks or small corner shelves in them. The kitchen was good though, and I also liked that there are sinks in dorm rooms.

Smells, a lot.

• 6th May 2014
  • Argentina

All members of staff were useless, there seemed to be more than 3 people at the front desk at any point and not a single one of them was organised. There was no soap in any of the toilets, and the showers were literally a dripping tap. breakfast not included though we were told it would be. A disappointing experience considering the cost.

• 6th May 2014

BED BUGS!!!!! Staff weren't very informative, didn't know how to order a taxi. Roof in main foyer poured with water one night as showers were leaking. Water pressure terrible. Sistee got bed bugs when we told reception they looked at bites and just said "sorry" no denying or compensation. Too many harrassing homeless near hostel did not feel safe at all. Do not stay here!

Everything is good except no plug in room.

Probably one of the worst hostel I've stayed at. The staff (with an exception of 2 girls) were very rude and unhelpful. They seemed annoyed at simple questions about the town and their facilities. The hostel itself was very unclean and not very well managed. The toilets on our floor were filthy, and often blocked and out of order. The location, which we were under the assumption was safe, was far from it. The area, tenderloin, was reputable but for all the wrong reasons.

This hostel is dirty!!! They just do not clean as often as they should do! During the 5 days I stayed there, in the bathroom of my dom room we run out of toilet paper two times and no one replaced it. The tables and chairs in the common room are so dirty you coludn't sit on them. They say you must clean after yourself when cooking, but - guess what - they don't even provide you paper towels to do it!! They organize no activity at all.

Everything you need and in a good location. The only thing I could see being improved was maybe a bit of colour on the walls, our room was a bit bleak.

The rooms are really really small and the restroom door inside the room was hard to close. There was mold everywhere. But the staff was friendly...

The hostel was ok, especially for the location. But in my room, there were only 2 sockets for 4 people, and they were actually in the bathroom: not nice at all!

I booked the hostel because of the price and thought it couldn't be that worse, but it was worse than expected. Dirty, the staff was uninformed about everything, weren't helpful. The lockers are first come, first serve. There're not even showers on every floor. Wouldn't come back, not even for this prices. Kitchen was also horribly dirty.

The location is the only thing going and the lift. You can walk easily everywhere. You won't get any beer or pancakes that's a lie, even if you want to pay for it, there isn't a bar. We were sight seeing heaps so we didn't party like usual so not sure about the atmosphere, it never seemed to Be great. The lock on our bathroom was broken so that made it awkward with roommates. But at least we had an ensuite, there is one bathroom per floor. If you want a bed to sleep in, it's good.

Worst hostel I've ever stayed in. The staff was rude and un-helpful, THERE IS BLACK MOLD GROWING ON THE BATHROOM WALLS, and the area gets dangerous at night. We paid for 2 nights and only stayed one, they wouldn't refund us our money but we figured it was better to lose the money and stay somewhere else for the 2nd night.

• 19th Apr 2014

Not exactly palatial but does the job. Was given damp sheets on the first night but apart from that everything was ok. Can't really complain for the price

• 18th Apr 2014