San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

Great location, terrible beds.

• 26th Mar 2015
  • Colombia

Very decent hostel, good rooms, close walk to market street. Place is clean and the staff is polite! Also lots of stuff to do in the common room such as a pool table, ps4, and free coffee all day long. Some things could be better but hey it's a hostel. 8/10, I'm gonna stay here for my remaining 2 weeks.

It's an amazing hostel for young people who just want to enjoy the city and meet interesting people. There's always party at the lobby and the staff is really nice. The bathrooms are not really good though. The rooms were totally fine for the price. It was a perfect hostel for me, since I came by myself and wanted to meet people. Everyone was very open-minded and overly nice, so you're never alone! I would go there anytime again!

• 22nd Mar 2015

Good staff, great location, good faciluties for backpackers.

• 22nd Mar 2015

There was no sink in the restroom on the 5th floor, and after three requests to have the handsanitizer refilled i finally got turned down and was told, that there would be no such refill. Apart from that I had a great experience staying at the hostel. Very helpful staff, nice atmosphere, very quiet at night time, lovely pancake dough, very central. For security: It would be nice with lockers in the rooms or a more sturdy lock on the room door.

The guy who runs the place is super friendly. The place as a whole has a lot of character and a laid-back, positive vibe. There was a pretty decent live band playing Saturday night. The common area is a perfect hang-out spot with great lighting. The kitchen is great to have and is kept clean. Elevator is slow and janky so I had to walk 7 flights up to my room but I got in good shape. Bathroom tiles somewhat questionable: bring shower shoes. I definitely enjoyed my time here. Highly recommend.

• 20th Mar 2015

Stayed for a week. Most of the nights are noisy. If you're a social butterfly and in to parties, this is the place for you. Young backpackers meet at the lounge with beer, board games and pool. Hostel offers free beer on weekends. The downside is the poor facilities. Bedroom is minimal with dingy light, linen is poor quality, towels are not provided, shower doesnt work so well. Some floors don't have wifi and # of electric plugs are restricted. Good place for fun but not for relaxing.

Only critique is that I would've wanted sinks on all floors.

• 20th Mar 2015

Overall good...had only some problems like the elevator and some bathrooms. Great experience with the other guests!

The open "make your own pancakes" in the morning makes it easy to engage in a conversation. There was also an open beer while I stayed, during which the staff and a volunteer created a very nice atmosphere. The room was small, so just for sleeping, but space was available to sit and relax in public areas of the hostel. I would definitely recommend staying there.

• 17th Mar 2015

I used to love this hostel, but this time I stayed there it was very worn (my bed was missing a stair rod) and the bathrooms where dirty. There was a girl in the front desk whom did´t pay attention and return a package I ordered, the very same day it arrived without even checking if I´d checked out, a girl in the stuff was really nice and help me with this but the situation cost me 50 dollars to get my package, just because this lack of attention.

It's okay if you're spending most of your time outside the hostel. It does the basic job, but there were some issues with the bathrooms - toilets clogging and toilet paper running out by the end of the day. The showers had only one temperature. The whole place was not kept cleanly and smelled moldy. I wasn't impressed by the management or it's upkeep. It's location to public transit is good but walking back at night did not feel very safe. Just have low expectations for the hostel and enjoy SF!

• 14th Mar 2015

Noice https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQnYi3z56RE

• 14th Mar 2015

The room is smaller and dirtier than expected.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • Taiwan

I had to cancel our stay. Our flight to San Francisco was canceled because of the weather on March 4th. Subsequently we did not stay at the hostel either. I gave all averages, so you would get this message. I am getting to many e mails from hostelworld. Sometimes twice a day. Really? I have not opened/read one.........If I need to book with hostelworld, I'll find you.

• 11th Mar 2015

Dodgey area, rubbish wifi can't get it in your room. No lockers in rooms. Breakfast is terrible. And it's a total rip off

The hostel is very well located and cheap, which is why I would recommend it to friends. The rest is fine, but far from amazing! The breakfast is disappointing, as there are only two spots to cook pancakes at the same time, the pans are old and sticky... I used it once during my 6 nights stay.

After reading the reviews, I opted to book an ensuite room. Glad I did! I used the toilet on the floor once and it was tiny - like, knees touching the door while sitting on the toilet tiny. As others mentioned, it isn't in the nicest area. However, it really is a good location as long as you don't travel alone at night and keep to yourself. The common room was gross! Sticky beer floor. Luckily the bathrooms and rooms, while showing a little age, were clean. Overall, you get what you pay

The common room / dining room could have been kept a lot cleaner. The tables should be wiped down more frequently. A couple of times the plastic cutlery container was empty. That could have been avoided by keeping tabs on that. The room could have been better vacuumed after guests leave

• 7th Mar 2015

They have a very 'broad' interpretation of the word INCLUDED, to put it nicely. The towels AREN'T included: you can buy a 'shower' towel from them for $5 that's more like a napkin in texture and not worth the money. I had an "argument" with one of the young women at the front desk about the Airport Transfer, which ISN'T included in the price either, how they suggest in hostelworld.com. They "provide" the help of contacting the shuttle service for you, but you'll have to pay the same as online.

View all San Francisco Hostels