San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

2062 Total Reviews

There were numerous staffers around but only 1 or 2 helping out the people in line. There was a lot of confusion and numerous people before me were having problems getting a bed. The line for the front desk was long and slow moving. A lot of people were being told to return in a few hours, not sure if they would have a place to stay. I saw people at the desk and in line frustrated, angry and impatient. I had also heard they were overbooked. Very unorganized. I eventually stayed elsewhere.

• 28th Jun 2014

I was supposed to check in at 6pm. I was told to come back at 8pm. I did. I was told to come back at 9pm. I did. I then waited over an hour to get my key. Other people who had arrived after me had received their key earlier. Having to wait at the desk and listen to all the complaints I was disappointed I didn't ask for a cheaper rate. I was aware at the end of the hour plus wait that the site I booked from charged a higher rate for something less than what others got.

• 28th Jun 2014

This was the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. I am covered in bed bug bites & apart from the fact the first room they gave us was full - our second room was so filthy! The mattress was covered in Mould & blood and the floor was so dirty we wore shoes the entire time. The whole place stunk & the second night we were there they were over booked with people waiting to check in until past 10pm at night.

Probably the worse hostel I've ever been in my entire life. Choose it if you have no other option but everything about it was bad. The rooms are depressing, the staff slow. I wish I never had come to this hostel.

Dirty, horrible bathroom facilities, a male was placed in my female only dorm and the constant sirens and arguments between the homeless met addicts outside the window were not desirable.

This hostel is in a great location, however it is not clean, and there is only 1 sink on 3 floors!! Most of the bathrooms don't have sinks, and some of the showers don't work.

This hostel was a mess! It smells like raw sewage, and is located on the cusp of a bad neighborhood. They are understaffed and there is always a huge line to check in. Be careful because the room you book will not be the one you receive. It's almost first come first serve, they also added a male to our room when we booked all female. Also if you like to wash your hands after you use the washroom your out of luck, no sinks in the toilet closet, oh and check for paper first too....

Bedbugs! My leg was bite by the bedbugs there. I'm regret staying there. The restroom looks ok, not dirty. However, it is in a excellent location. It's close to the amtrak shuttle bus station and cable car station.

• 26th Jun 2014

This was like the worst place I've ever seen in my life. Beds were damn dirty, same as the bathrooms, showers and the floors. The lounge was cold and barely nice furnitured, staff was kind of rude even though always helpful when it came to directions and things to do- but only then. They were totally unorganized, switching room requests impossible, because they didn't even know how many people they were hosting. The area was really bad, right next to the worst district

• 25th Jun 2014

Great location! Right off of Union Square. Very comfortable. I did pay the extra 6$ for the private bath, as I was traveling with my two teenaged daughters~ well worth it. The only downside was that I came into the city with my car.... by the time I paid for parking and the hostel I found out that I could have stayed at hotel /motel for the same price. Still this is a really nice hostel and so convenient! Lovely staff!

• 25th Jun 2014

the staff are not pretty good.

There are no taps on any of the bathroom basins, and the toilet/shower facilities per floor are ridiculously too inadequate. Also, whilst your staff handle complaints very well they need to be better informed about the rooms available - moving from twin private with ensuite to a four person shared without ensuite is NOT an upgrade!

• 24th Jun 2014

The blanket is soooooo thin and small that it's so cold at night even if it's in Summer. Hostel is good for party animals.

• 24th Jun 2014
  • Taiwan

I stayed in a mixed dorm room (4 bunk beds). The room is very simple, just the beds and no tables or chairs. The hostel provided clean sheets and pillow cover at check-in which you put on the bed yourself. The hostel doesn't provide towels and no locks to safely store your luggage. The bathrooms and toilets were also very dirty and smelled bad and have two climb two flights of stairs to go to the bathroom. On the upside, the location is great, and hostel provides free tea and coffee.

The staff were extremely unhelpful and rude. My friend and I needed to extend our stay by two nights and approached the reception staff 3 days before our time was up. They asked us to return tomorrow twice and on day of check out we were told they had no room for us. The bathrooms had very poor drainage and were not regularly stocked with paper or cleaned. Kitchen was lacking in basic appliances. The wifi was awful. I wouldn't stay again if I had no other options.

Leaky tap in room and a kitchen that closed at 11pm made the facilities poor.

• 20th Jun 2014