San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

2001 Total Reviews

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm. There was a sink in the room and communal toilets and showers which weren't so bad. Didnt have much atmosphere, and was disappointed they no longer had free beer and no free breakfast. Only tea and coffee. But was in a great location near union square. As other reviews say, there are a lot of homeless people in this area, but that's just way it is in many downtown areas in America. It was just hard sharing two power outlets with 3 other girls, so bring a powerboard.

• 15th May 2014

Staff was sometimes helpful. The beds were terrible and there was puke in two bath tubs.

• 15th May 2014
  • Serbia

Really bad and poor service, disgusting bathrooms with a really dirty/old shower curtains and no room to keep your clothes or stuff and the kitchen is really grassy. when I arrived at 22:00 after 2 days don't stop, they just say me, oh so sorry but we don't have a room for you, you booked it but We don't care, you are screw up in a busy Saturday night in SF, but we so sorry!! WTF!! I'm really disappointment with the service received

• 14th May 2014
  • Spain

The location is good for backpacker! But the facilities are unacceptable. I couldn't connect to the wifi in my room. There's mo air comditiomer in my room. The window could be open but it couldn't be hold there. There's no sink in the toilet and THiS IS SO GROSS.

• 13th May 2014
  • Hong Kong

Booked this as it had received high ratings on hostelworld.com and it is the absolute worst place! Me and my two friends had booked accommodation for 3 people for 2 night, but only got 2 beds due to it was fully booked. But we did have to pay for all three of us. The man at the front desk should not work whit service because he is the nastiest man i have ever met! Toilets without sinks, showers with poor water flow and a bad smell in all premises. We changed accommodation the following morning!

• 13th May 2014
  • Sweden

When I arrived, I made up the right away. I came back at midnight to find another guy in it. The man in the reception took 25 - 30 min to get me another bed. It would be good with numbers on the beds. The sheet are of 100 % nylon, not nice to sleep in. No breakfast. I can only recommend the location, very good. The rest: so, so.

The daily rate is too high for what the hostel offers. The house is old, the rooms do not smell good and the bathroom of the room is very small.

It was nice, I´ll book again...

Staff we're ridiculously rude and unhelpful. The location is right in downtown, really close to all the big shops and bus routes which is great but unfortunately there are a lot of homeless people and drug addicts in the same area.

While some staff are obviously better than others, most didn't seem to have much of a clue about the hostel facilities or city so weren't particularly helpful and check in was a mission. The dorm rooms are cosy with super squeaky bunk beds, but fine. There aren't personal lockers available in the rooms (but there are some available two floors down) and with only two toilets per floor between all the dorm rooms there is often quite a wait. Handy having a kitchen.

The hostel was clean and safe, but the area it was in was rough at night. Though, it is also close to Market street and handy for transport links. The hostel lacks some pretty basic facilities such as a laundry service/towel hire/printing and there is no free breakfast (which they advertise)... but the common areas are good and spacious and the free tea and coffee is lovely. The staff are all friendly but mostly don't know much about the area as they are all travellers working for free rooms.

• 8th May 2014

I wish shower cabins had hooks or small corner shelves in them. The kitchen was good though, and I also liked that there are sinks in dorm rooms.

Smells, a lot.

• 6th May 2014
  • Argentina

All members of staff were useless, there seemed to be more than 3 people at the front desk at any point and not a single one of them was organised. There was no soap in any of the toilets, and the showers were literally a dripping tap. breakfast not included though we were told it would be. A disappointing experience considering the cost.

• 6th May 2014

BED BUGS!!!!! Staff weren't very informative, didn't know how to order a taxi. Roof in main foyer poured with water one night as showers were leaking. Water pressure terrible. Sistee got bed bugs when we told reception they looked at bites and just said "sorry" no denying or compensation. Too many harrassing homeless near hostel did not feel safe at all. Do not stay here!

Everything is good except no plug in room.

Probably one of the worst hostel I've stayed at. The staff (with an exception of 2 girls) were very rude and unhelpful. They seemed annoyed at simple questions about the town and their facilities. The hostel itself was very unclean and not very well managed. The toilets on our floor were filthy, and often blocked and out of order. The location, which we were under the assumption was safe, was far from it. The area, tenderloin, was reputable but for all the wrong reasons.

This hostel is dirty!!! They just do not clean as often as they should do! During the 5 days I stayed there, in the bathroom of my dom room we run out of toilet paper two times and no one replaced it. The tables and chairs in the common room are so dirty you coludn't sit on them. They say you must clean after yourself when cooking, but - guess what - they don't even provide you paper towels to do it!! They organize no activity at all.

Everything you need and in a good location. The only thing I could see being improved was maybe a bit of colour on the walls, our room was a bit bleak.

The rooms are really really small and the restroom door inside the room was hard to close. There was mold everywhere. But the staff was friendly...

View all San Francisco Hostels