San Francisco International Hostel Reviews

140 Mason street, San Francisco, USA

They have a very 'broad' interpretation of the word INCLUDED, to put it nicely. The towels AREN'T included: you can buy a 'shower' towel from them for $5 that's more like a napkin in texture and not worth the money. I had an "argument" with one of the young women at the front desk about the Airport Transfer, which ISN'T included in the price either, how they suggest in hostelworld.com. They "provide" the help of contacting the shuttle service for you, but you'll have to pay the same as online.

I had an amazing time love the staff and definitely staying there again when I visit!

• 6th Mar 2015

Loved the staff here. Donna was amazing! There were a few times some ppl came in and harassed the staff. Police were called. It was quite overwhelming. Location, amazing! I got everywhere with ease! The shower quarters were terrible. Some were flooded and some just didn't work. I had to scowl the building to find one that worked on the top floor. Ended up using female showers. Apologies there. I'd stay again for value, loved my trip but they should consider fixing the bathrooms.

The hostel overbooked the room a friend and I were staying at and we had to deal with moving beds/rooms two nights in a row. Facilities are not as clean, and it feels dusty (perhaps lack of vacuuming).

The hostel was in an ideal location. It was only a 2 minute walk from the Powell St. BART, making it really accessible. The staff was friendly, nice, and helpful. I definitely think that the price matched the quality.

• 4th Mar 2015

You definitely get what you pay for staying here. The only issues I had was with the flimsy mattress' on the bed; the very poor working showers and the general cleanliness off the room. The showers (on the 5th floor), were shocking! Hardly any water comes out of the shower head and that water, 40% of the time, was hot. As for the cleanliness of the room, I don't think it has had a good vacuuming in a long time. The collection of old contact lenses down the side of the bed told me this.

The rooms don't have light and plug per bed, the beds are not comfortable and they don't provide pillow cases. The elevator is kinda bad, don't talking about the front desk guy that work during the night that doesn't explain the things very well. The good thing is that they provide free pancakes.

When we arrived, the staff were more interested in chatting together than with us. Cleanliness and facilities are poor, the bed was uncomfortable and the room had a bad smell. Our room was next to restrooms, shower and staircase so we could clearly hear people running in the stairs and having a loud chat in the middle of night. Wi-fi and the location are good, the breakfast is ok. You'll need your own towel and earplugs.

• 2nd Mar 2015
  • Finland

This was one of the worst experience I had with a hostel. Booked a suite room, but once I got there, the rooms were not available, and I had to get another room. They did not care about the reservation. The staff is really bad at resolving problems, specially the manager. All bathrooms are terrible, they don't clean it frequently, and the water plumbing is terrible. You get no water at all for showering. Never coming back again.

This is the worst Hostel I have ever stayed at there was hardly any place to shower. It was like one of the old hotels downtown. Staff was excellent and diverse. I hope they clean it up.

Although the hostel was a little expensive, I really enjoyed my stay there. The staff were very friendly and the location was great!

Perfect location for backpackers and young travelers. All kinds of public transportations are a walk away. Food court, drug store and all the fast food chains are also located pretty close to hostel. Ppl seemed cool and nice, they mingle well. Staffs were okay. Rooms are as always it depends on who you are sharing with, well probably not too bad, coffee and pancake is provided in the morning they were edible enough. Anyways for that price and location, I can't complain.

Great hostel for cheap price! Location was perfect right near union square, cable car, shops. Toilets/showers weren't the best, but for the price I'd still recommend! Staff we're helpful.

There was a used condom and dirty pair of boxer shorts left under the bed. When I told the brown-haired, bespectacled young white man working the front desk, he said "...Okay." And went back to his business.

• 20th Feb 2015

Cheap and Cheerful! Close to everything - public transport, supermarkets and shopping centres. Staff were all lovely and more than happy to give directions to noteworthy attractions. Common area - Awesome! Free beer and activities on some days makes it easy to meet people if you are travelling on your own.

Well, what can I say. It was the worst experience I ever had. disgusting rooms and bathrooms. Roommate showed up at 3 Am. Made so much noise as if she was moving in a house. Kept the door open for a very long time with the light bright on my face. No towels provided had to pay for small piece of cloth. I will never stay again and I do not recommend that place. in the morning your clothes will smell like pancakes even if you are in the second floor. You can't walk into a meeting with smelly.

• 18th Feb 2015
  • Afghanistan

Its in a dodgy location but walking distance from the central area.

It was ok,

We had an amazing time over there, the staff was super friendly and very helpful, the room was clean with enough space for luggages, perfect location. I´d definitely recommend that!

• 14th Feb 2015
  • Czech Republic

A bit run down place but very friendly staff.

View all San Francisco Hostels