Sandra's Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Princes Street, Caithness, Thurso, Scotland

They had never heard of hostel world and claimed they didn't have our booking!

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Scotland

Over good hostel. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The ensuite shower and toilet was very appreciated. The TV in the kitchen as well. The mattresses are however a bit old and could be changed. The cafe downstairs and the discount we get is also great. I would stay there again.

As a repeat visitor to Sandra's, everything is just as great as it was in 2007! Still sports a huge kitchen with two sides to allow for more than one group to cook at once. This time, coming by car, I was happy to have free parking close by. Internet access was okay, but the router needed resetting periodically (unable to get online).

A new experience going into a fish and chip shop to check in and then having the staff close the shop while we were shown our room and the facilities

not clean very bad bedding

• 2nd Sep 2014
  • Belgium

Despite a note on the wall declaring that sheets were changed after each use, mine were not clean and had someone elses hairs in the bed on the 2nights we stayed . The upper Bunks were extreemely dificult to get in and out of .The shower was a trickle and drain was blocked. The door would not lock. It was not a nice place to stay. The Hostel is above a chip shop and smells like it. Our bikes had to be left outside in a smelly dirty back yard.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Scotland
  • All Female Group, 41+

Found the reception (in the chip shop downstairs) and the staff were very helpful. Showed us where everything was and in particular, the laundry, which we definitely needed! Not a big dining area by any means, but wasn't cramped either. Only negative point for us was the mattress (double underneath the bunk in the four berth upstairs). Well overdue for replacement and didn't get a very good sleep.

Not bad at all it was enough for sleeping but not more.

Amazing little hostel, cheap chipshop on the ground floor that doubles as reception, allowed me to park my motorbike in a gated area, free breakfast available all day. The only downside was that the walk from the bunk room (en suite) to the kitchen was outdoors. One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in.

Easy to find. Relaxing and friendly. Quite nice if you wanna cook by urself cause there is a kitchen equipped with everything and you can watch TV or chat with the other guests while cooking.

Very old bunk beds, with equally old sheets etc. Felt like I was sleeping directly on springs. Breakfast is at least included, just check the bread is not mouldy! Was ok, but not worth the amount I paid for the room.

The woman talked very, very loudly on the phone for a long time. Then she started shouting at the person she had only been yelling at. She didn't seem to take a breath for 15-20 minutes. Doesn't create a good atmosphere. The beds in the room were truly awful.The mattresses were worn through, the frames squeaked, and I don't think anyone in the dorm managed much sleep. There's not much to see and do, so thini carefully about going to Thurso. OK for onr night for a ferry, or LEJOG/JOGLE cyclists

Clean hostel with bike storage in the rear yard (bring a lock though). Had a good museli breakfast included (I think there were other choices as well inc tea/coffee). I would stay there again if in the area. Beware if arriving late on the train as very few places open to eat on a sunday - managed to find some food from the local chinese though!