Sandra's Backpackers Hostel Reviews

24 Princes Street, Caithness, Thurso, Scotland

Extremely messy. Unfriendly aggressive staff. Worst hostel we've stayed in.

• 24th Jun 2015

Extremely dirty, unbelievably worn and holed mattresses, one of thee worst hostels which I have stayed in.

I was very impressed that when I phoned to report that I had been mistakenly charged twice because of an admin mistake (I paid in cash on arrival and was also subsequently charged on my account), they were very helpful and prompt in refunding the overcharge. Very good customer relations!

• 17th Jun 2015

We had a comfortable room and the communal kitchen was really handy. Yes I would recommend Sandra's Hostel.

Shittie staff and hostel... Very very dirty and old and bad.. Dont stay here

It is not one of these hostels where you will meet a fellow backpacker who just opened his own hostel. With a separated reception area and a backyard that is ugly it is quite anonymous. We had problems with clean linen but got the money back in the end. The owner told us that they will renovate and get new beds. That is absolutely necessary as the price is far to expensive for the beds and service provided. It can be compared with hostels charging 9 pounds per night. The free breakfast is ok.

The room was warm, the bed long enough but the bathroom heater did not work, and there was a lot of dust around. The kitchen had plenty of equipment, but again a bit grubby. Some of the cupboards contain items that are irrelevant for guests such as paint brushes and old electrical equipment.

• 13th Feb 2015
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

We had an absolutely fantastic time at Sandra's. The owners were so accommodating and friendly, really made the stay fab. Some comments mentioned that there was a problem with booking but we didn't experience it at all! If anyone is going up as far as Thurso I would definitely recommend this fab little place.