Sankatha Guest House Reviews

CK.10/60-A Manikarnika Ghat, Chowk, Varanasi, India

No Rating

When I arrive the owner show me a very bad room, he told me that for a better room I have to pay more. So I payed more. I stayed in this hostel 4 night and nobody cleaned my room. The owner isn't a nice person.

• 5th Feb 2013

Great location but very dirty, mice running around and hard as wood beds. The food upstairs is great but the cooks wiil try and sell u anything.

free pick up wasnt at the train station when we arrived. We emailed,txt and called them to make sure it was there. Finally get to guest house (not easiest to find) and the room we booked wasnt available.Tried to explain to the guy on the front desk. Not interested. By this time was 10pm so stayed the night in only available room. next day get moved to room we booked. Ask for toilet paper. 'no you have to pay sir' PAY FOR TOILET PAPER! free breakfast is not free either. Dont stay here.

• 9th Aug 2012
  • New Zealand

Rooms are overpriced. There is no air conditioning in the 400 rupee rooms but if you pay the extra for a deluxroom, the electricity rarely works anyway. There is no hot water- ever. Breakfast is NOT inldued despite it saying this on their hostel world page- I have told the manager this and he said its not his fault and he doesn't know how to change it. The staff are lovely, the restaurant upstairs has good food for very reasonable prices with nice staff. The smoke from the ghat is overwhelming.

Nice hostel, easy to find. Although the hostel wast was under renovation, the rooms were very clean and the staff was excelent and helpful

You can't really ask for a better location by the burning ghat and the staff is extremely attentive. Great rooftop restaurant/balcony area and a chef that's taking measures to protect foreign bellies. It's an older place, so your comfort level depends on what you consider to be "old" vs. "clean." Never really got any hot water and the internet was down, but otherwise, no complaints.

just was missing internet

One of the most welcoming places we stayed in during our entire 2 months in India - the owner gave us a (free) personal walking tour of the ghats when we arrived, organised boat trips at a cheap price and offered us all services we wanted/needed with ease and no hassle/pressure. A great place to stay, perfect location, clean and friendly

• 29th Feb 2012

Nice clean friendly budget hostel in an excellent location, the manager manu was very helpful, would happily return. Joe O'Hanlon (Ireland feb 2012)

For India standards this was a nice guest house... I have stayed in worse and better. The owner is a quirky gentleman, he is very nice but he is a businessman. So, enjoy the gracious host but realize that he will try to sell you things that are not the best price.. He is not mean or tricky, he is a businessman.

Owner was very pleasant. Restaurant was excellent and the location is in the heart of the City.

Fantastic location right next to the cremation ghat. The owners are very helpful and can arrange boat trips etc for a good price. The roof top restaurant served some of the best food and lassis I have tasted in India (seriously, the meals were just as good as, if not better than, some of the more expensive places recommended by lonely planet).

thanks a lot my friend for you opinion about my hotel.

The hostel is very good located, near the burning ghat.. the people that work there are very nice and helpfull, very good price and the rooms are very good!!

IT WAS REALLY EXCELLENT !! THE STAFF AND LOCATION ARE GREAT...I RECOMEND IT !!

Around the corner from the Ghats. You can smell smoke from fires & hear every procession go by. Great for accessability to that. Hardly any restaurants nearby; some stalls.Difficult walk from tuc tucs, made more difficult in heat. Best to pay someone to carry your gear. Owner a bit dodgy. Paid extra for a/c that didn't work & when asked for refund, he forgot English.Also overcharged us 3 times proper rate for taxi to airport on departure.

Team is friendly, but rooms are really basic. If your budget is limited and if you are just looking for a place to sleep during the night while you spend all your daytime outside, this place is perfect for you.

The location is incredibly close to the Ganges and the Manikarnika Ghat, which is a plus. In the other hand it`s also located in that maze of Venicelike narrow streets of Varanasi which gets you lost quite easily. It was an enjoyable experience. The rooms were not all that clean, but I wouldnt expect more than that in India for what I payed. The staff at the rooftop restaurant is just FANTASTIC and incredibly friendly. Those guys made my stay worth its while. Do recomment the Lemon-sugar pancake! It`s

View all Varanasi Bed and Breakfasts