Santa Semente Reviews

Rua Miguel Resende, 328, Santa Teresa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Very kind and lovely staff

No hot showers. Weren't allowed to bring in own drinks (even different to those sold at extortionate prices). The staff were rude and unfriendly- one day we came down at 9.50 for breakfast (meant to be 8-10) and were told we had missed it. Instead of arguing, even though we had got up especially, we asked if we could just have a splash of milk if we made our own coffee. We were rudely told no. The staff were stingey and arrogant. Rooms were dirty and stank of damp. Far from bus, shop, everywhere

Very happy stay at this place for the most part. Did not appreciate that there was no attempt at hot water, also could have been another bathroom :) also very tricky to find!! Did not appreciate being told at breakfast not to be 'selfish' by staff for taking two buns for breakfast!

• 9th Jul 2014
  • South Africa
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Am impressed on how properly and detailed they give directions to reach the hostel. Owners are straightforward, friendly, and warmth. Breakfast is at 8am-ish, and it is very good, but I hope it was served earlier, say 7am sharp. :) So far it is cleanest hostel I've been to. I miss sitting under their big mango tree on early mornings. Staying there is like home away from HOME.

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

Shower was the worst I had seen in South America. It stank and was ice cold. The area is good but due to being out if the way the owner could provide a small info sheet for busses and metro etc. instead you get a map drawn on a napkin. Quaint but not good in this age of travel. Most people staying there spent all their time on computers etc and there was little interaction and atmosphere.

Santa Semente has a great feel surrounding it with the 'homely' approach provided by Luke & Sheila. They look after you (including providing a very tasty breakfast each morning), offer advice and keep you up-to-date on relevant local news, etc. The hostel is very clean and well maintained, although you may experience a cold shower! It is tucked away which makes it difficult for taxi drivers to find and is close to a favela, but there is no threat to your safety. A hostel I would recommend.

Excellent hostel with excellent, friendly owners. Brilliant dinner cooked in the hostel and a good breakfast in the morning. Spacious dorms and a very chilled out atmosphere in the evening. Might be a little tricky to find but it's well signed from the streets.

A very nice clean hostel. Staff super friendly. Good friendly vibe. Very close to bars if you want to go out drinking.

Santa Semente is located in Santa Teresa which provides nice exposure to local culture. While there we walked to a local bar and had some burgers while locals played music outside and celebrated Brazil's participation in the World Cup. The hostel itself has a great view of the neighborhood and the city with a nice open rooftop. The wifi was hard to connect to but it worked sometimes. All-in-all we had a good time with guests from all over the world and friendly hosts.

I booked one night to see how the hostel was but the owner, an american guy, seemed to be very angry for that. I had to sit down with him and he explained me the rules of the hostel as he was my dad. Next morning I was checking on google maps where I could find another hostel, and that's when he kicked me out of the hostel. Never had such a bad experience in my life. His brazilian wife was very polite, may be she should run the hostel on her own. I recommend Sante hostel, around the corner.

Clean, comfortable, great breakfast and great hosts.

Nice staff, nice atmosphere.

Fantastic new hostel. It has a great view of the Sambodrome that was wonderful during carnival to watch the fireworks. Both the owners went out their way to help all the guess. They even helped to find me a volunteer placement in Rio. Close to bars in Santa Teresa. Nice breakfast, spacious beds and i really liked the open plan kitchen and living space. Would highly recommend.

• 28th Feb 2014