Santos Express Train B&B Reviews

Private Bax X5, # 254, Mossel Bay, South Africa

I loved this accomodation. Probably one of the best I've stayed at. Lockers in the room, staff are amazing. Beach front. Hot water not warm hot! I met people who didn't stay here because they thought the train would be too cold. It's not! Well no colder then any other non heated accomodation. You can't get wifi in your room but the wifi does work good in the lobby and resturant!

Cute concept and right on the beach so quite nice during summer. Nice spacious and hot shower despite being on a train...the taps are a bit difficult to use though. It's definitely a novelty accommodation. Don't expect to sleep past 7am though as there are no sound barriers, especially when you have inconsiderate neighbours and cleaning ladies. Also, no heating during winter and I'm guessing no AC during summer. Nice personnel. Would be nice if there was a common room with sofas and a TV.

Hostel was lovely. Definitely what I expected and enjoyed the setting in a train. The only thing they could improve would be the sinks in the bathrooms. The taps make it absolutely impossible to wash your face without spraying water all over the place.

Great idea, lots of potential, needs some renovation work in places. Worth the money we paid.

We stayed here for one night and was clean and cosy, though cramped as expected. Nice position by the beach and good restaurant attached to train. Wifi available in restaurant and town within walking distance.

Great location and enjoyed the sunrise in bed

• 4th Jun 2014
  • South Africa

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here as it was during the quite season but I don't think the dorms would be comfortable if it were busy as the walking space in the train is very narrow. The staff were very helpful and reasonably friendly . Wifi is available in the reception and dinning area for free. For people staying in the dorms there is nowhere to dry clothes which I find very annoying as a long term backpacker. Free breakfest is advertised for everyone but this is not for people in dorms, beware

• 22nd May 2014

Food at restaurant was delicious.

I had booked Santos Express because of the good location Our holiday in SA was for 2 weeks and we stayed at various hostels. This was the worst one we stayed in It was so bad that instead of staying 2 nights that we had booked we stayed for 1. The staff were rude and unhelpful. When I mentioned at reception that I thought the shower and toilet facilities were dirty (there was mould everywhere) the receptionist seemed very stroppy about my observation.

The location, right at the beach, was perfect. the experience of sleeping in a train as well. the cabins are quite small and bathrooms are well ok; pillows not that comfy, but its too be expected by that price range and when sleeping in a train.staff was nice, there is a nice restaurant allocated to it. you can hear the waves crashing. so, GREAT:

• 19th Mar 2014

Great location and great restaurant!

Wlan only working in restaurant!

A really nice and unique place to stay. Only draw back is that they didn't have any charge points in the carriage though, so had to give our electronics to the reception for them to charge behind the desk which wasn't very convenient.

It was good to stay here because I got my own cabin for only 15$. I don't think dorm will be secure as there is nowhere to store your things. The lock on the cabin doors are flimsy. No electricity until 7pm. The resto-bar is good to order sandwiches, food, beer. But never ever get coffee or cocktail. THE GOOD: The lady in the reception is super helpful. You have amazing view of the beach & sunrise from your cabin. Beach 5 steps away. It is a cool concept hotel. 30min walk to center town.

great place to lodge to eat and to get around. ocean view from the train window. just 10m from the beach. very helpful staff make me satisfied in mossel bay. i'll be back definitely. recommend strongly!

Nice location right to the beach, the room is a real room in a coach. During the day is very hot, dont expect too much space, lights in the room only available in the evening. The shower is powerful and hot. Nice experience for those who are never slept in a train. Dont miss having a bath in the ocean at 2am!!

View all Mossel Bay Bed and Breakfasts