Sanya Backpackers Reviews

No. 1 Type 1 Villa Luming Community, Haihua Road Dadonghai, Sanya, China

We stayed at Sunshine Hostel as the room we booked at Sanya Backpackers was under renovation. The staff was nice and they guided us to our room in Sunshine Hostel. Sunshine Hostel turned out to be quite nice, beyond expectations actually. The room was very large, with a terrace. Staff didn't speak English, but was still very friendly.

We booked at this hostel because of the rating. And they deserve it! Service is excellent. They were renovating the whole hostel, bit noisy but they warned us and gave adequate service for the trouble: they gave us to a double bed room for the same price of a 6 beds room (initially booked that room)! Clean and calm environment, near Dadonghai beach which is very convenient. The pretty lady helped us a lot. She drew us a beautiful map to a more private beach, xiaodonghai.

I would highly recommend Sanya Backpackers to others. This family run hostel is really well run by Linda and Chris. The level of service and personal touch from Linda and Chris was first class, from the booking confirmation email until leaving and follow up email with photos. I stayed with my wife and young 6 year old son. The hostel location is ideal for the beach. The private family room was large and clean with outdoor balcony. The outdoor bar area is also excellent! Great value for money.

This review is for all 3 weeks of my stay. The hostel itself is fabulous, but the city of Sanya is a mixed bag of experiences. Sanya Backpackers is clean, convenient, comfortable, nearly everything you could ask for in a hostel. Internet connections, however, are a bit temperamental, but that's the case throughout all of China these days. The hostel is sociable but peaceful, in contrast to the hectic and chaotic city. Best of all, nearby fantastic beach and dining options abound.

I am not a typical hostel traveler; however, this trip I traveled alone and I thought it might be a nice way to team up with fellow solo travelers. I enjoyed Sanya Backpackers tremendously. Chris and Linda were helpful and friendly. They went above and beyond to ensure comfort and hospitality while on the island. One night we had a BBQ, and Chris helped us start the grill. The bar has a good selection of international beers. Sanya is a great destination and this hostel is the cherry on top.

• 7th Feb 2015

Such a brilliant hostel. It made my trip!

My only complaint is that they charge 40 RMB for 1 kilo of laundry. Most hostels let me wash my own clothes for 10 yuan. Other than that, this place is really one of the great hostels in China. Very clean, very convenient, very well-run.

thank you for staying with us and your review. it's a misunderstanding it's actually 40 rmb for 5 kgs. maybe we were not clear. cheers!

I was here about a week ago for a weekend in Sanya. The owners were friendly and provided information about beach destinations that I wanted to hit. Very easy walk to Dadonghai Beach and there's a nice little cheap noodle place for breakfast across the alley (if you like Chinese style breakfast). The wifi was really slow so I couldn't check my email. They had a computer and the internet was a little better there but not so great. The room was clean and they had lockers for valuables.

hi there, thank you for your valuable feedback. in respond to the internet connection, the reason might be due to heavy usage or might be you were checking google gmail. google is kinda like restricted in china. since day one in sanya, we also experience the internet getting slower every year. might be due to the more and more usage in sanya and infrastructure not upgrade to meet the demand. who knows?! you never get a definite answer from the authorities.

Had a great time here! Very easy to meet people, close to just about anything you could need, and very helpful staff. A little more expensive than similar places nearby but much cleaner (and the beer was cheap!). Wish the bunk beds didn't squeak so much, but that didn't detract from anything.

Linda and chris are very kind and helpful if you need sth. We spend Christmas there and it was really nice. Its 5min to the beach and there are lots of activities available like hiking etc. The bar id also very nice to hang out at and meet ppl. Chris is really kind and you always can have a talk with him. I would def. Come back! Enjoyed the stay

• 20th Dec 2014

I had a great time at Sanya backpackers, the staff was super friendly and the atmosphere was very good. The hostel is really close to Dadong beach, which is nice because it's a much better beach than Sanya beach.

The hostel was in a great location, it was very clean and good value for the money. The best thing about this hostel was the staff. Chris and his wife Linda were extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the area. I would definitely stay in this hostel again.

• 8th Nov 2014