Sentrum Hostel Reviews

Tollbugata 8, Oslo, Norway

The Hostel is saturated with (for lack of a better word) “homeless” people who destroy the atmosphere and make it difficult for the guests to enjoy themselves. The price is a bit steep, but that was to be expected of the world’s most expensive capital The best thing I can possibly say about this Hostel is that the duty manager ("Matias I believe his name was) was one of the best managers I have ever had the delight of coming into contact with. Really friendly and helpful.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Slovenia

Definitely not a youth hostel, don't go here for the atmosphere. I was only passing through so the hostel was good for that, but would not recommend a long stay. Lots of strange people hanging around at all hours. Man at reception was really nice and let me check in really late. Far too few bathrooms and toilets for the size of the hostel, only one per floor that i could see. Was expensive for what you get, but Oslo in general is expensive.

- living room can and must be more cleanned and more presentable - there is only 5 showers for more than 150 beds !!

• 13th Nov 2014
  • Algeria

sound proofing is bad....

The location is great, and the facilities are very good as well. However, this hostel has the worst hostel atmosphere I've ever seen. Full of creepy (but probably harmless) people, doesn't look like a hostel at all. Wouldn't stay there again.

read some other comments before i booked so i knew what i would potentially be dealing with-so i booked a private room as a result....its not a backpackers hostel..it is a half way house or hostel for homeless people by the looks of it..but being in scandinavia that is not so bad hahaha..if it was in ireland or the uk it would be full of crack heads..i booked a private room as i was only going to be in norway 24hrs...the room was spotless and comfortable and reasonably priced at around 60euro..

The staff kindly upgraded our room, had a pleasant stay. Location was amazing, really close to the main train station. Showers were fantastic!

Not enough bathrooms or shower facilities. Although the staff are super nice the owners are tight fisted slum lords. Far too many crazies in the hostel & not enough lockers to keep your stuff safe that even the bedbugs refuse to go there!

I enjoyed my time at this Hostel. Friendly staff and people but there were a few tiny things of concern. 1. The hairdryers - I'm glad they offered in general, that is a real bonus however they work in odd intervals of time. Turning on one minute and then failing to work the next. 2. The guests - I stayed in a room with an older Norwegian woman who was waiting to be housed. She let nobody sleep. Selfish cow! Anyway perhaps the woman should have been housed in her own room.

This is a rather worn-down place, but the rooms a fine and functional. Free bed linen and towels is a great plus as well. The location couldn't be better. It's situated right in the centre of Oslo.

Good location, very close to the station and to the port. My friend and I were in a 6-bed dorm - and were very surprised: no bunk beds but regular, ordinary beds all next to each other! :-) Since we had the whole room to ourselves we were extremely pleased. All in all: nice place, I'd definitely go there again.

I'll be honest. This is the redlight district of Oslo, and yeah, the ladies climb the stairs of the hostel at night with their high heels, customers in hand, scouting the empty shower stalls to do their job. Of course, these sights affected the 'cleanliness' rating. The toilets were also a mess (stayed unclean for two days). Appart from that, the location is top, and the price is of course horrible, but reasonable in Oslo standards. Staff is helpful, but hard to reach if you come at night.

More than o hostel it looks like a psychiatric hospital, the atmosphere is kind of "dark" and definitely not nice. We were two, and the other guest in our six beds room was a weirdo who fricked us out. There aren't really people gathering around chatting. It's not that kind of hostel where you meet nice people and have nice talks. It is the cheapest in oslo and that's probably the only reason that makes it worth it. Late at night in the street there are prostitutes and drug dealers, not nice...

Great location. Had a creepy feel inside as well as a smell. Fine for a stop over in Oslo but I wouldnt have wanted to stay there longer than two sleeps.

Be careful before you book this hotel because there are '' bed bugs '' in the room. I stayed 3 nights and I have got 40 bits. It is a nightmare!!!!! Absolutely, they dont solve the problem.

Staff were only available from 10am to midnight, and considering my flight came in at 2:30am, made it very difficult. There were absolutely no common areas, so meeting people was next to impossible. Place was run down, and we even found a homeless guy sleeping in the stairwell. It was a very poor experience, and I would not stay here again.

Nice and helpful owner. Ideal location for citytrip in Oslo. Free linnen and towels. Enjoyed my stay very much!!

The location is great, the bedrooms and communal areas are very nice, and everything seems clean. However, this hostel has a BEDBUG infestation, so before booking, enquire as to whether they have fixed it.

• 11th Jul 2014

The hostel had a good location and otherwise the facilities were fairly good for at least one nights stay. As far there have been no signs of the dreaded bed bugs that are one thing that this hostel is known for and what I feared for before the trip. Having less than 10 lockers for the whole hostel (the lockers outside the room on floor 4) is NOT enough-> that affected the "security" part of the feedback. Good thing to know for other travellers is also that there are people living in the hostel.

It's a pension hotel with an excellent closeness to the stations and center of Oslo without much hassle to get around. Not a typical place for travelers and backpackers but once you get used to it or adopt their practices such as opening hours of receptions, showers etc.. you will be fine