Seoul Base Camp Reviews

The 3rd Floor, 383-14 Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

I really recommend young travelers to stay at this hostel during in Seoul. Especially for design / art lovers, they gonna love the hostel and it will make you feel home. Their pet pig is adorable. The staff is cool and reliable. Location and price are great, close to cool area: hongik university.

Thank you for the review. We do our best to provide a homely atmosphere. We had a great time hosting you. - Jake

Can't say enough about this place. Walking distance to Hongdae, which is a central place for some great culture, food, and shopping. The hostel is only a 3-5 minute walk from the subway, which is the primary way to get around Seoul. The staff is extremely friendly, young, and genuinely interested in helping you have a great stay. The dorms are fairly standard, nothing special. It has a great common area that is conducive to meeting new people. They provide shower gel, shampoo, etc. Loved it!

Great hostel. Looks a bit grim from the outside but the hostel itself is awesome. The 2 guys at reception are super helpful and friendly and speak perfect English. The do have a pet piglet though which is really annoying and not so friendly, by other than that, grey hostel, super hot showers and a fantastic breakfast. Coffee and waffles. Great guys. Great hostel and the wifi is really good too

• 27th Mar 2015

Thank you so much. Sorry the pig couldn't be more mannered. He is an a-hole. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and internet! I wish you the best in the rest of your trip! - Jake

Really enjoyed my stay here whilst in Seoul for fashion week. The hostel has a really charming DIY/industrial atmosphere that's relaxing and comfortable. The free waffles at breakfast were very well received and the location is great for exploring hongdae. Will definitely be back soon!

Thank you. I loved your shirts and pants combo. I wish you the best in your fashion studies. Come back any time. - Jake

I've been to several hostels in Seoul and this is by far the best one! Great staff, very nice location and a breakfast above average! Thanks so much for the time there! When I come back to Seoul I already know where to stay!

• 22nd Mar 2015

Thank you for staying! We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast! You are always welcome here. - Jake

First impression wasn't great, the building is a bit creepy but ended up having a great stay! Close to the metro and short walk to the main Hongdae places. Staff were really good when they were around. Small hostel, great for socialising. Piggy is cool!

Thank you for the review. Our building is one of the oldest one in the neighborhood and we embrace its character with a whole heart. Having said that, we are working on having a cleaner look and we hope the new changes to give newcomers more confidence in choosing our space. We wish you the best in the rest of your journey! - Jake

Seoul Base Camp isn't such a bad hostel, but I wouldn't say that its exemplary either. Frankly put, it was just a place to sleep and lacked the qualities that distinguishes a hostel - having an activities board or organizing a social outing would have been nice. The resident pet pig was also somewhat of a nuisance as it would constantly charge towards you at the sight of food and my mattress was uncomfortable to sleep on. Albeit my review sounding negative, overall, this hostel wasn't bad at all

We are sorry to hear your trouble with Hamlet the pig. We do our best to train him to only eat from his bowl. Occasionally, one or two guests will feed him from their hands and he comes to expect food from guests. Sorry we weren't able to give you a more social experience. Due to its nature, each guest's social scene at the hostel might vary. We think having organized group activities is a very valid suggestion. We are in the works to bring it about when the weather gets accommodating. - jake

This fantastic place looks pretty much like a base camp, but it's very comfortable and clean. A mini pig that lives right in the hostel is so lovely:)

Hi! Basecamp is what we are. And we are the sherpas who will help you discover this massive city. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our new family member! - Jake

If you are looking for a "different and alternative" hostel, and of course cheap, it is the perfect choice. The vibes are great. It is not a hostel where you'll find comfort, but for that price and location, you won't regret it.

• 17th Feb 2015

Thank you. We are always working on providing more comfort while keeping the essence of what makes us different. We wish you the best in your future travels! - Jake

The dudes (staff) here were so cool, super fun place to stay. The pig is the cutest! Can't wait to go back

Thanks D! You were so cool too! - Jake

Fantastic value and wonderful staff! The location is one of my favourites in the city.

I love coming to my work and not having to walk far from the subway. I love getting off work and walking only few blocks to my favourite bars. I'm glad you share my enthusiasm with our location. -Jake

Really nice staff :) He spoke so kindly, and was never rude or offputting. The pig was the best part of my new year so far. Just lovely. Beds need better blankets. Bigger blankets. Didnt even fit half my body, but it was warm in the room with the heater. The concrete floors were super clean and i walked around barefooted most of the time. :)

Hi, thank you for the feedback. I'm sorry about the blanket. We provide two blankets : a summer throw and a large sleeping bag, which acts as a comforter. We understand how the comforter might have been too warm for the already heated room. We will try to get a larger blanket for the Summer. We are happy that you enjoyed our (and pig's) company. We are at the reception everyday to help you with whatever you may need. We wish you the best in your travel.

Great stay ! Everything was nice about this place.

Great review! Everything was nice about you too. Thank you for the feedback! - Jake

The main things about this hostel: it has one of the best meeting-other-travellers/people-atmosphere. AND IT HAS A CUTE LITTLE PIG!! Sigh..I miss him. (scratch him below his cheeks--that's his sweet spot). The hostel's cheap, has wifi, great location and vibe. I was there in the winter, where more long term people stay. It seems intimidating at first since they all know each other already, but they're really nice once you get to know them :)

Hey yo- you were quite social for such an intimidated person. :) If anyone is reading this, my name is Jake and please feel free to approach me anytime for life coaching, financial consultation, or psychotherapy although I do not hold qualification for any of those things. - Jake.

Seoul Base Camp is a great place to stay. There's a rooftop with a great view, it's really close to the subway, and there's a mini pig! Feels like a home away from home. If you're a lone traveler this is a great place to meet people to explore Seoul with.

• 11th Nov 2014

Oh, you are completely right, but did you get these words off from our intro page? Thank you nonetheless. - Jake

Base camp is a basic hostel, nothing special. It was easy to find from the subway. I stayed in a room with 10 people and the room was very small.

Thanks for writing Review. We are really sorry to hear the room was small. We wish you stayed longer than few hours. and We do not want people skyping late night. Have a great time in Korea.

awesome place; great vibes and hospitality here. laid-back atmosphere makes for a very social and enjoyable experience. wood-work layout gives the place a warmly earthy aura, as well. one of the owners always shows his nipples, though............

Base Camp is always awesome. I've stayed there 3 or 4 times and never had a complaint.

It was nice to see you guys again. See you soon. You guys always very coming at SBC Min