Seoul Base Camp Reviews

The 3rd Floor, 383-14 Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

Great service

• 15th Aug 2014

Overall it is a good enough hostel (though not as excellent as I imagined from the other reviews). Relatively good location (pretty close to the metro and in the corner of the Hongdae region - best one in Seoul). High point is the atmosphere: one of the few 'party hotels' in the city that I know about. Don't know what's the big deal on the breakfast they offer, nothing more than toast with butter or jam, waffle and powdered coffee. Not bad, but wouldn't highly recommend the place.

Thank you for the review. I agree with you. We are not a hostel built on heaven. Some of the guests thought so and we are incredibly flattered. Our role model isn't Hilton or Ritz Carlton, for that matter. I'm sure there are many luxuries that we cannot offer, as a small hostel of 32 guests. What we excel at is to offer a place that feels personal where each and every guest can be themselves and share the excitement of being in a foreign city. Wish you the best in the rest of your journey. -Jake

Best hostel I've ever been, amazin atmosphere, feels like home. Made people that felt like friends from the staff to the guests. District is just about one of the coolest in Seoul as I've seen so far, and even though it doesn't look like the center it is quite close from mostly everything by subway. The rooftop is awesome, and by summer you might enjoy a long, chillax Soju night with staff and guests. Only one advice: don't give anyone your snapchat. Anyone.

Hey man, thank you for this lovely review. We had a great time. But you gotta stop sending us sexts over snapchat. Getting inappropriate photos from soju-loving frenchman isn't on any of our staffs' job description. We all know you typed this review with just one hand too. Haha. Just joking. Send us inappropriate stuff any time. - Jake

There was a nice vibe in the hostel, and I really loved how they've made the place up. I especially liked that you got a towel, and shampoo/conditioner provided for. For the price I can't complain really, but staying in the 10 bed dorm was definitely an experience! I didn't get much sleep, and was worried about my stuff down on the floor (there is hardly any room to move) and waking everybody else up when I got down, but the waffles in the morning were all that was needed to placate me!

• 3rd Aug 2014

We are sorry to hear that you had discomfort in the 10 bed dorm. We try to maximize the comfort by having 11pm quiet hour, providing free earplugs, and providing free lockers. We will renovate the room so there will be more space as well. Otherwise, we are happy that you enjoyed the vibe here. That's where we focus the most since we believe hostel is all about having meaningful social experience. Thank you for staying with us and we wish you the best. - Jake

The staff here is great and is knowledable about the area.

I'm glad you had a great time here. We always strive to stay connected to the area we represent and be knowledgeable, not just with the current location of things but also with context and the history of the area. We appreciate you staying here with us and wish you the best in your travels. - Jake

Great Location! Walking distance to Hongdae with lots of shops, food, and nightlife. Also only a few steps from the Subway. This place also has a nice rooftop great for hanging out and making new friends. The Hosts are very friendly and have lots of great information, they also like to hang out with the guests on occasion :) thanks for everything Jake and Min! I'll be back ;)

• 30th Jul 2014

It was great to see you for the third time! See you again soon, buddy. - Jake

Overall is value for money with good location near to subway. The owner Min was very kind to help ladies carrying down big baggage from 3 floor to ground floor. Thank you so much for being so helpful.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Malaysia

Ms, thank you for staying here. We hope you enjoyed your stay. We wish you could have joined us upstairs for a beer or two. We wish you the best on your travels. - Jake

Really lovely place to stay in Seoul with awesome touches like free breakfast waffles made for you. The staff were so friendly and attentive.

Thank you. We are happy to make you waffles any day, all day. We wish you the best on your travels!

Min and Jake are extremely friendly! good location, right next to the vivid and trendy area of Hapjeong. Nice rooftop and common area. Definetely recommend this hostel ;)

We had a lot of fun going out with you. We are really lucky to be in such a great location. We hope to see you again! - Jake

Great hostel! The staff are the best you could ever hope for and are making every effort to improve the place on what it already is.

Thanks Lachlan see you in 3 weeks Min Seoul Base Camp Hostel.

Jake, Min, thanks for the awesome stay and I'm sure I'll see you again in the future when I return to Seoul!

• 20th Jun 2014

Thanks for reviewing. we had a great time with you. wish to see you soon again. MIn Seoul Base Camp Hostel.

A really cool and cosy place with great homely atmosphere. It's a few steps from the tube, and in a great part of Seoul. The people there are really nice.

• 29th May 2014
  • Czech Republic

Thank you. Loved your style. We wish you the best in the rest of your time in Asia. - Jake

Amazing. The free waffles and toast, although it sounds cheesy, is the perfect addition to this hostel. This feels very much like a dorm room, or my buddy's apartment, and that it a good thing, as it makes me feel right at home. Only one suggestion, and that would be to add some sort of hook by the beds! It kind sucks to just drape your towel on your bed to dry out. That little addition would give this place the perfect score. I will definitely be coming back if and when I'm back in Seoul. THX!

R, your suggestion sounds great! We are always adding to the place all the time so the hooks will become a reality very soon. We are glad you had a great time in Seoul. Do come back when you are in town! - Jake

Not crazy about the "capsule" beds but the location is great, just steps from the subway. Friendly staff & good wifi

Best. Hostel. Ever. Returning customers should get first pick on bottom bunks though...I'll be expecting that next time I visit. ;)

Best. Customer. Ever. 10/10 Would host again. - Jake

If you're looking to have a good time, Seoul Base Camp is the place to go. The friendly staff are not only helpful, but they also enjoy having fun. The hostel has a very home like atmosphere which is something that can be hard to find when traveling. With a location right beside a subway station, which gives you access to the entire city, and it is also only a 5 minute walk from Hongdae, the spot to be on any night. Seoul Base Camp is the kind of place that you'll never want to leave.

And that's why you never left. It was an awesome 3 weeks we spent with you, buddy! - Jake

Staff was so friendly and helpful! Will definitely recommend the hostel to others.

We provide not only service but a community. Let's build one together. - Jake

The location of this hostel is wonderful, not even a 5 minute walk from the subway. The place felt very relaxed and laid back. We were given free waffles in the morning for breakfast and the staff helped us decide what we should do for the day. Although our room was a little cramped it was perfect for sleeping and I would definitely go back again. They also had a nice large common area for meeting people. Only problem was there were no keys or security (although they did provide lockers).

Hi, Thank you for the write up. We are sorry about the security issue. Though we provide keys for the 4 bed dorms and the private room, the 10 bed dorms are difficult to keep it secure simply because of the number of people in the room. We are glad you have enjoyed our complementary breakfast and our homely atmosphere. Those are the areas that we definitely do the best. Hope you had a great time in Seoul and we hope to see you again! - Jake