Seoul Base Camp Reviews

The 3rd Floor, 383-14 Hapjeong-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

I have stayed at many hostels in Seoul and this is the best one and the only one that feels like a proper hostel! If your looking for the nicest hostel in Seoul, this isn't it (although it is incredibly clean). Instead Jake and Min have accomplished exactly what they set out to do - create a place where people can hang out, relax and swap stories. The location is also a big draw. The only negative was the place doesn't feel that secure which may worry people who are unaware how safe Seoul is!

Totally unique! It really feels like you are camping in the middle of the city. There's even a hostel pet, Hamlet / Hammy, the pig. Ideal for people looking for a different / cheap place to stay in Seoul. Lovely brekkie of waffles and chocolate, super helpful owners. Stayed in a 10 bed dorm, it's the quietest large dorm I've ever slept in - no bag rustlers (a miracle!). Downsides, a little far from Hongik (more like 15-20mins walk) and showers need doors (especially because bathroom is shared).

As always, an awesome stay at Base Camp =)

Good hostel with an awesome staff. Everybody was really friendly and helpful. Dorms are pretty standard and there is a great a/c in the room. Cool common area with good tunes playing all day. Piggy lives up on the roof, watch your toes!!

This was one of the best hostels ive ever stayed in, it was super clean, there were waffles for breakfast and the showers have huge shower heads with free shampoo and all. But the best part of Seoul base camp where the people, every one of the people working amd staying here were super nice and helpfull. I will be back for sure on my next Seoul trip. Only little negative thing is that their pet pig bites. But he is cute to look at! Just make sure not to eat in front of him haha ;) stay here!

Thank you for the review. We are happy to host you again! - Jake

The hostel was as described, plain, simple, cheap and in a good location in Seoul. so nothing to complain about.. waffle breakfast is also pretty nice.. but still I would appreciate if e.g. the walls get painted in the dorms, since they look a little bit odd, this would already make someone feel a little bit more comfortable. Beside that I liked that you get really easy in touch with the other people staying there and I really appreciated that they were flexible in canceling my last day

Thank you for the review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We wish you the best in the rest of your journey - Jake

Min and Jake are awesome, great atmosphere and at the perfect location in Seoul.

You are awesome. Thank you for the beautiful drawing of the prince of Basecamp. - Jake

Super fun here. I met great people and they have a pet Pig! The staff here are also especially great. They were extremely helpful in terms of giving all kinds of different advice about Seoul. It's also located in a pretty central location in the super fun area of Hongdae. My boyfriend and I had a lot of fun here in our travels. Morning waffles are also a yummy bonus!

Hi V, we were happy to have you hear as well! - Jake

Spot on awesome place would def go back!

• 3rd May 2015

Awesome dude! Would def lov to have you back. - Jake

Great guys, great hostel, great location!

and a great review. - Jake

The staff are wonderful and helpful and the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed. The hostel is located extremely close to the subway station and an area full of cool bars, restaurants and shops. The rooftop is a great place to sit and have a drink, play the hostel guitar, or cuddle the pet pig (!). There are only a couple of toilets and showers so at times there was a bit of a wait to use them, but it wasn't usually too long and always clean. Overall, it's a great place - highly recommended!

Thank you. We do our best to keep up our standard every hour. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Feel free to come back any time! - Jake

I really recommend young travelers to stay at this hostel during in Seoul. Especially for design / art lovers, they gonna love the hostel and it will make you feel home. Their pet pig is adorable. The staff is cool and reliable. Location and price are great, close to cool area: hongik university.

Thank you for the review. We do our best to provide a homely atmosphere. We had a great time hosting you. - Jake

Can't say enough about this place. Walking distance to Hongdae, which is a central place for some great culture, food, and shopping. The hostel is only a 3-5 minute walk from the subway, which is the primary way to get around Seoul. The staff is extremely friendly, young, and genuinely interested in helping you have a great stay. The dorms are fairly standard, nothing special. It has a great common area that is conducive to meeting new people. They provide shower gel, shampoo, etc. Loved it!

Thank you! We are actually working on making them dorms as snazzy as our common space. Come back whenever! - Jake.

Great hostel. Looks a bit grim from the outside but the hostel itself is awesome. The 2 guys at reception are super helpful and friendly and speak perfect English. The do have a pet piglet though which is really annoying and not so friendly, by other than that, grey hostel, super hot showers and a fantastic breakfast. Coffee and waffles. Great guys. Great hostel and the wifi is really good too

• 27th Mar 2015

Thank you so much. Sorry the pig couldn't be more mannered. He is an a-hole. Glad you enjoyed our breakfast and internet! I wish you the best in the rest of your trip! - Jake

Really enjoyed my stay here whilst in Seoul for fashion week. The hostel has a really charming DIY/industrial atmosphere that's relaxing and comfortable. The free waffles at breakfast were very well received and the location is great for exploring hongdae. Will definitely be back soon!

Thank you. I loved your shirts and pants combo. I wish you the best in your fashion studies. Come back any time. - Jake

I've been to several hostels in Seoul and this is by far the best one! Great staff, very nice location and a breakfast above average! Thanks so much for the time there! When I come back to Seoul I already know where to stay!

• 22nd Mar 2015

Thank you for staying! We are happy you enjoyed our breakfast! You are always welcome here. - Jake

First impression wasn't great, the building is a bit creepy but ended up having a great stay! Close to the metro and short walk to the main Hongdae places. Staff were really good when they were around. Small hostel, great for socialising. Piggy is cool!

Thank you for the review. Our building is one of the oldest one in the neighborhood and we embrace its character with a whole heart. Having said that, we are working on having a cleaner look and we hope the new changes to give newcomers more confidence in choosing our space. We wish you the best in the rest of your journey! - Jake

Seoul Base Camp isn't such a bad hostel, but I wouldn't say that its exemplary either. Frankly put, it was just a place to sleep and lacked the qualities that distinguishes a hostel - having an activities board or organizing a social outing would have been nice. The resident pet pig was also somewhat of a nuisance as it would constantly charge towards you at the sight of food and my mattress was uncomfortable to sleep on. Albeit my review sounding negative, overall, this hostel wasn't bad at all

We are sorry to hear your trouble with Hamlet the pig. We do our best to train him to only eat from his bowl. Occasionally, one or two guests will feed him from their hands and he comes to expect food from guests. Sorry we weren't able to give you a more social experience. Due to its nature, each guest's social scene at the hostel might vary. We think having organized group activities is a very valid suggestion. We are in the works to bring it about when the weather gets accommodating. - jake

This fantastic place looks pretty much like a base camp, but it's very comfortable and clean. A mini pig that lives right in the hostel is so lovely:)

Hi! Basecamp is what we are. And we are the sherpas who will help you discover this massive city. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and our new family member! - Jake

If you are looking for a "different and alternative" hostel, and of course cheap, it is the perfect choice. The vibes are great. It is not a hostel where you'll find comfort, but for that price and location, you won't regret it.

Thank you. We are always working on providing more comfort while keeping the essence of what makes us different. We wish you the best in your future travels! - Jake