Sequoia Lodge Backpackers Reviews

3a Nelson Square, Picton, New Zealand

A cool little hotel - an easy drive from the ferry back to Wellington. Great facilities with a free hot spa bath and free chocolate pudding, cool TV room and various other common rooms. Our rooms were comfortable and clean enough. Staff were friendly and helpful.

This review isn't all about the property and more my experience. The place was relatively clean: kitchen and bathrooms were good but the common areas could have been cleaner. Dorm bed was comfortable. The young woman who picked me up from the ferry after their normal hours was great! And the communication with the hostel about my arrival was speedy. The bad - a had an incredibly drunk person in my room that ruined my stay.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Although we are happy for guests to have a social drink drunkenness has never been acceptable at our hostel. Had we been made aware that there was a problem the person would have been removed. We have a cleaning regime that we have always prided ourselves on so are unable to comment as you didn't specify what the issue was. We are glad you were happy with the other aspects of your stay.

No lock on the doors. Rooms a bit cramped. Common facilities good. Nice free chocolate pudding.

Had a great stay at Sequoia Lodge. It is really clean and I loved the free choc pudding in the evening!

Late cancelation should not charge for the full price as no services are used (water, heat, change of bedding)

We are sorry you were not happy with late cancellation charges. Our policy on this allows cancellation without charge up to 24 hours before your arrival. All bookings are made aware of this policy. The issue is that the bed has been unavailable for other guests to book. The 24 hours gives us a fair opportunity to resell the bed. As you booked through a 3rd party we have already lost 12% of our normal bed price.

I would certainly stay here if I was in Taupo again. They had a nice communal area and were able to set up transportation to the Tongariro crossing. Some cons were that there is no free wifi or breakfast (even just bread and spreads would be nice) and the bathrooms weren't super clean - there were honestly like 20 spiders on the ceiling of one stall. It was like being in the end of the movie Arachnaphobia.

My stay here was without a doubt one of my best so far in NZ. Staff were very friendly, helpful and approachable! Rooms were very clean and bed was super comfy! TV was cute and relaxing .. Free wifi, hot tub and chocolate pudding with ice cream every night! Perfect stay for my New Years in New Zealand and all different age ranges! Was ace! Would definitely recommend! Thanks !! Xx

• 31st Dec 2014

Very comfortable hostel, clean kitchen, comfortable common area, with couches, and a mere 5 minute walk away from the centre of the town and the beach!!! They also had free chocolate pudding in the evenings, which was really nice of them!!!

A really nice place to stay for a few nights, such a cozy place. Great staff and manager and just the perfect place to stay before or after taking the ferry and relaxing, meeting nice people and enjoying your stay. Highly recommended!

Easy to find, lovely lady and gent on the front desk. Free tea and coffee throughout the stay and the chocolate pudding was a great way for everyone to get together! Had a real homely feel about the place. Was lovely to see colour on the walls rather than cream! Doorm was plenty big enough and great having an ensuite bathroom! Nice little touches around the place to make you feel at ease and relaxed.

no locks on dorm doors but that's fairly average for a lot of places in NZ. hot tub, good TV room and free wifi which worked well

Stayed in female door with ensuite, spacious and clean. Separate bathroom allowed me to get changed when leaving for the ferry early.

The staff were very nice. I came by ferry from Wellington and they were nice to offer free transfer to the hostel and back. The location was good, just a few minutes walk from the city center. The rooms were very clean and kept that way. Only thing that I didn't like was the atmosphere. Everyone was in their own corner and there wasn't really a way of getting everyone to mingle which was inconvenient.

Loved my stay here! Staff and guests were friendly and easy to get along with. Note that there is a code to get into the building at night but otherwise the facility is pretty open. No locks for individual dorm rooms, however. There are lockers in the hallway (I had my own lock and don't know if there are any available there). I didn't feel the openness was an issue but know some may. Felt very comfortable with the people and a had great stay- would recommend. Need new mattresses though! :)

Great place, great staff and I went out so missed the chocolate pudding but heard it was delicious!

Really Enjoyed staying at the Sequoia. A bit of a walk from he ferry terminal with luggage but they offer to pick you up. Don't get a room key and rooms don't lock, they just lock the main door at night and there are lockers available. Really friendly atmosphere. Comfy beds, good showers.

Lovely hostel with hammocks, a hot tub and a huge chess board. Free chocolate pudding was tasty.

This was one of the nicer hostels we stayed at. Each bunk bed had a small shelf, which was so handy. The chocolate pudding was pretty good, so be there at 8 pm for it! I'd stay here again if I had the chance.

The owner is very helpful and friendly. I enjoyed the free pudding, furthermore the free shuttle from and towards the ferry terminal is very convenient. The hostel has a great atmosphere and the kitchen is well supplied.

I would really recommend this place, it was clean room and at the hostel was really good atmosphere. We had the best sleep after year, we were feeling there better than in our flat. It was the best value for money.