Sequoia Lodge Backpackers Reviews

3a Nelson Square, Picton, New Zealand

For my mate who hates soft beds. She would have hated it, the bed was ridiculously soft so anyone who likes a bit more support from a bed don't stay here. Others than this, everything was great for the night I stayed there.

• 24th Mar 2015

Owner very welcoming. Great location for ferry. Recommend highly

• 19th Mar 2015

The definition of a great hostel!

free pudding was a nice touch

Chocolate pudding in the evening was a really nice touch. Staff on reception are lovely but the beds are not too comfortable.

Fab hostel, abit further out of town than others still only a short walk. Was really clean, has free unlimited WiFi and the chocolate pudding was amazing! Would definatly stay again.

Really loved my stay here. The gal running the joint really knows what she's going. Everyone is super nice and relaxed. Would stay here again :)

Really good hostel!! The free chocolate pudding dessert is homemade, fresh out of the oven and AMAZING!!!!!! Nice, big, clean, and equipped kitchen. Cozy layout and atmosphere. I'd totally recommend this place!

Nice bathroom and free pudding at night! Although our room was located near the room and was rather noisy throughout the night.

Free chocolate pudding, free tea/coffee, free oil and herbs! I ate well here!

Cozy hostel!

Awesome place, friendly staff, hot tub!

A cool little hotel - an easy drive from the ferry back to Wellington. Great facilities with a free hot spa bath and free chocolate pudding, cool TV room and various other common rooms. Our rooms were comfortable and clean enough. Staff were friendly and helpful.

This review isn't all about the property and more my experience. The place was relatively clean: kitchen and bathrooms were good but the common areas could have been cleaner. Dorm bed was comfortable. The young woman who picked me up from the ferry after their normal hours was great! And the communication with the hostel about my arrival was speedy. The bad - a had an incredibly drunk person in my room that ruined my stay.

We are very sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Although we are happy for guests to have a social drink drunkenness has never been acceptable at our hostel. Had we been made aware that there was a problem the person would have been removed. We have a cleaning regime that we have always prided ourselves on so are unable to comment as you didn't specify what the issue was. We are glad you were happy with the other aspects of your stay.

No lock on the doors. Rooms a bit cramped. Common facilities good. Nice free chocolate pudding.

Had a great stay at Sequoia Lodge. It is really clean and I loved the free choc pudding in the evening!

Late cancelation should not charge for the full price as no services are used (water, heat, change of bedding)

We are sorry you were not happy with late cancellation charges. Our policy on this allows cancellation without charge up to 24 hours before your arrival. All bookings are made aware of this policy. The issue is that the bed has been unavailable for other guests to book. The 24 hours gives us a fair opportunity to resell the bed. As you booked through a 3rd party we have already lost 12% of our normal bed price.

I would certainly stay here if I was in Taupo again. They had a nice communal area and were able to set up transportation to the Tongariro crossing. Some cons were that there is no free wifi or breakfast (even just bread and spreads would be nice) and the bathrooms weren't super clean - there were honestly like 20 spiders on the ceiling of one stall. It was like being in the end of the movie Arachnaphobia.

We are a Picton backpackers (not in Taupo) and we have free unlimited wifi and NO SPIDERS :-)

My stay here was without a doubt one of my best so far in NZ. Staff were very friendly, helpful and approachable! Rooms were very clean and bed was super comfy! TV was cute and relaxing .. Free wifi, hot tub and chocolate pudding with ice cream every night! Perfect stay for my New Years in New Zealand and all different age ranges! Was ace! Would definitely recommend! Thanks !! Xx

• 31st Dec 2014

Very comfortable hostel, clean kitchen, comfortable common area, with couches, and a mere 5 minute walk away from the centre of the town and the beach!!! They also had free chocolate pudding in the evenings, which was really nice of them!!!