Service World Chinatown (Chin Swee) Hostel Reviews

Block 52, Chin Swee Road, #02-33, Singapore, Singapore

Very small hostel near Chinatown MRT. When I arrived I had trouble getting in, as the door to the reception on the 2nd floor was locked and no one answered the phone. Found some people near the entrance on the 3rd floor who welcomed me in. Everyone I met was friendly. The bed in the dorm was comfortable and there was AC. There was only one bathroom, which is not enough as it got crowded in the morning. Good place to crash, but I would not stay there for more than one night.

Mediocre place to stay for cheap on a quick stopover. Good location, although signage could be better. As for the hostel itself, it was a tiny apartment with bunk beds and a tinier bathroom. Apparently there were more facilities in a separate apartment above ours, but it wasn't mentioned to us. The staff showed us how open the door and then disappeared for the rest of our stay. Also, blasting the A/C at full power while only providing super thin sheets meant we had to dress up to avoid freezing!

The guest paid $33.00 SGD for 2 persons. He knew he was checking into a budget dormitory. At least, he admitted that the room was super cool, but it was surprising he did not know how to use the Aircon remote controller. The WIFI is fibre optics at 1000 mbps, and there was a fridge and washing machine for his use. What else does he expect to get in a budget backpackers hostel than these?

It is good that I did not find Andrew the owner who is highly praised. So, I can make it straight. This hostel is one of the worst I have been in 10 years. It does not mean it is bad. It has almost everything you could ask for but on the low-end quality. Reception: hide in the room Security: excellent Bed: not quite clean Air Con: not working good Toilet: kind of clean but exceptionally 3rd world Atmosphere: like a dorm of locals There are better cheap hostels closer to china town.

Our Hostel caters for both professionals and tourists, as well as low-end budget travelers. This Thai guest booked a bed in a budget dormitory with 10 beds,charging him S$17.60 for one's nights stay. He told us he would arrive after midnight; so, one of our staff waited in the dorm for him after midnight. How could he be so ungracious as to say "there is no reception except the staff giving him security within the dorm." We expect riff raffs for budget dorms, not a rude show of ingratitude

I stayed at the dormitory which is actually a narrow hall stuffed with some uncomfortable bunk beds. The "desk" of the hostel is inside (!) of this room, the unfriendly staff kept talking loudly inside until very late. I had to be quite rude to make them shut up. AC is available, but does not work properly, because the door is open most of the time. The so highly praised fast WIFI was one of the slowest I had in Asia. Lots of mosquitos and not backpacker atmosphere at all.

The inconvenience caused to this guest on 2 May is regrettable , as on that day, the Hostel changed to Fibre Optics and quite a lot of work was going on, resulting in some noise. The guest only booked for one night and paid only S$20.00; so cannot expect Hostel features.

Decent place for staying a night but not really what I expected from the online description. The proprietor is very nice, location is a little bit out of the way but within walking distance to the MRT.

Andrew is SUCH a helpful person, but aside from that fact, the location and security were the only good things. There's only a small "lounge" area which includes the kitchen and bathrooms. And the kitchen is severely lacking. Only a hot water heater to cook any food, a fridge and sink. No microwave. Wi-Fi didn't work on the 3rd floor, but this is being fixed. Shower stalls are extremely small.