Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel Reviews

No.55 Xianggang Road, Shanghai, China

The standard twin room had very comfortable beds and a great shower! Sadly the walls are very thin and our room was right under the stairs, so we could hear people running up and down them all night. The location is great though, only a very short walk to Nanjing Road and the Bund. All in all quite reasonable for the price.

Great location for being close to the bund. Connecting to wifi is a pain though.

Ended up with a windowless enquire room....nothing like what appeared on the website. But once the air conditioner was turned on, it was fine. I liked that the room card was an electronics one. Wifi was very strong and stable. Mattress and pillows were very thin, asked for an additional pillow. hair dryer, shampoo and shower foam provided. Housekeeping did not touch my room for entire four days, I emptied my own rubbish..Location was considerably out of the way to nearest subway East

Wifi wasnt good, neither were the computers. Staff were very unhelpful apart from one of 2. There is absolutely no atmosphere and nothing to do once actually in the hostel. Jimi, who just started working there, was a highlight and the only fun in that hostel! Redeeming point was the location which is very good.

• 16th Mar 2014

Place is insufficiently insulated so noise can be an issue. Staff were very friendly but took some prompting to resolve issues.

The location is incredible. Its a good place to stay in, but you won't get a very warm hostel-atmosphere. Good facilities, but not so helpful staff in the reception.

Awesome location-- we could turn a corner and see the Pearl Tower. Lots of little hole-in-the-wall restaurants and convenience stores and banks within a block. Literally 5-10 minute stroll to the Bund, Yuyuan, Nanjing shopping street, etc. Our room also came with all the toiletries we needed, a little electric kettle, and a much-needed AC/climate control unit.

• 8th Mar 2014

Perfect Hostel, if you just want to sleep there and don't want to spend much money

since the location in the bund, i think its excellent to stay here, just 5 minutes walk to the river and 10 minutes to the subway, they have great location. the toilets and bathroom are clean (you know how chinese look about toilet). the room doesnt have heater so it will be so cold in the winter. people in receptionist are so friendly. one of recommended hostel in shanghai..

Tucked in a small street, it enjoys unbeatable location on the Bund. Not so spacious on the 1st floor, but better on the 3rd floor where most rooms are located. Staffs are efficient and considerable.

The only thing that I like about this hostel is their location. It is very near to The Bund area. The staffs at the reception is not really friendly as they just answer no and don't know to our inquiry. If you look for a hostel to socialize with other traveler, this hostel is not the best one but in terms of location, it is acceptable.

A little bit cold, however, Clean, Good Location, Good staff.

The location of this hostel is fantastic.. only a few minutes from the Bund and Very close to the many shops and restaurants. The hostel itself needs a lot of attention, our room was small, cold, damp and dirty! The staff speak good English but are not particularly friendly. Overall the hostel was OK.

greate location, high value. thank you for the helpful, friendly staff.

If you r looking for new friends to meet, DO NOT stay here. Frankly speaking, I have never seen people in hostel like this : I tried to talk to 1 of the girls in the room but she doesnt seem to b Interested in the conversation. n at night back at the hostel everyone's using their computers n no one's talking. Same atmosphere in the common room. there r lots of mainland Chinese here tho. N they all seem to b busy w/ their work. Cleanliness: NIGHTMARE. An inch-thick dust on window.

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Hong Kong

Great Location, Double standar private room big enought, AC, TV, Clean. Tha staff was extremely kind, and helped us every time we needed. Speaks very good english. They gave ua a spanish map! much appreciated!! Suggestion. Please instruction of Washing machine and driyng machine tranlated!

The issue with this hostel isn't the price or the location: it's the cleanliness. They keep the garbage from each room in the hallway of the 3rd floor where all of the rooms are and don't remove it on a daily basis. There were rats in the hallway around the trash area, fleas and mosquitos in the room, and an overwhelming smell of ammonia on our final day. It's cheap--- but if you're a stickler for cleanliness, pay 10 more dollars and stay elsewhere.

• 30th Oct 2013

My single room was really small and without window. Though you cannot expect more for this price in Shanghai, I guess. Most important for me: it was clean and you can tell the staff when you want them to clean it. It had TV and aircondition so it is okay to sleep and relax. There is a common room on the same floor where you can sit by the window to eat or whatever, this makes up for the missing space and window. Staff was all nice and helpful. The subway station is about 10 -15 minutes walk ...

• 21st Oct 2013

Overall I was really happy with this hostel. I booked a double room for myself. Lining in that room felt more like living in a hotel than in a hostel. I liked the location of the Hostel very much. This hostel is the cheapest one on this area, I found. Everything was great. There was only tree little bad but for me acceptable things: 1. My room had no window 2. No common room to sit down together with other guests 3. The cleaning staff began to make a bit noise very early

• 19th Oct 2013