Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel Reviews

No.55 Xianggang Road, Shanghai, China

We were a big group, but everything went smooth. Good service, cheap prices, comfy beds, awesome location. all you could want from a weekend in Shanghai

Dock bund hostel mostly fit our needs. The double room was comfortable and clean. The only negative was that the wifi did not reach our room (6303). We had to sit in the hall or common areas to get service. With the hotel room set up, the atmosphere is not very hostel-like, but is pleasant. Location is good for seeing sights in Shanghai. Staff was kind and friendly. Pleased overall with our stay and would recommend it.

Awesome place to stay for a short visit in Shanghai. The wifi could have been better but overall a great, cheap hostel close to the centre.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Sweden

The hostel is well located. The morning staff at the reception was nice and helpful. However, the evening receptionist was not very friendly at all nor helpful. When I asked about ways of going yo the circus or how to book tickets he looked annoyed by my questions and would not help much. The single room is a shoebox with no windows and the aircon is noisy and straight on your face.

• 19th Sep 2013
  • Spain

Good value for money

Great value got the price....great location near the Bund...but difficult to find at first.Room was clean but the rest of the place could use a good scrubbing and deodorizing....nonetheless ,would stay again.

When we arrived at 8:45pm after a long days travel very tired and hungry. they told us the room we had booked was not available. So they relocated us to another place about 5-10min walk away. It's was a nicer place, so that was good, but they didn't have a room with double bed like we had booked so had to settle for two singles. Nothing major, just a little annoying. But the staff from the Dock Bund place seemed really friendly.

It is very pleasure to stay in this hostel because it made me full of satisfaction in terms of the staff service, especially when i requested anything from the receptionist, they will try their best to fulfill my requirement, especially Miss Ma & Mr Hou. Glad to meet any staff there, Thank you guys!!!

• 28th Aug 2013
  • Malaysia

Very friendly and fairly good English speaking staff. Even got a refund for the nights we didn't use because we found an apartment early. Really enjoyed our staying!

Good location, staff ok, but not really nice as in some other hostels. We did not like that there were no common place to hang out or a bar or restaurant... we had a private room and it was nice and clean, but without the window and we could not sleep really well because we were in 3rd floor and you could hear everybody from 4th floor walking around (also all the night)..

The hostel was, for me, in desperate need of a better common room. There was no place to hang out - no couches or dimmed lights - and even worse; there was no place to get food or drinks even. In many aspects, the hostel seemed more like a cheap hotel...

• 15th Aug 2013
  • Denmark

It was terrible. The room was so small, without any window inside. Moreover, the room smelled so much and nobody came to clean the room for 4 days. Lift could reach only the 3rd floor, my room was on the 4th floor so I had to bring my luggages upstairs by myself. I really don`t like it. In fact, on 18th I went away cause fortunately I found a room to rent. I know it is an hostel so it can not offer like an hotel service, but I think that they have to lower the price at least.

• 14th Aug 2013

This Hostel was situated in a back alley, very close to the Bund, which was nice, but the streets were very dark, so it didn't have a really nice feel. The staff was barely able to speak English, and even in Chinese not friendly or helpful. The rooms were ok, but not more, the AC dripping water all over the floor (obviously for ages already) and the bathrooms were just ok clean.

Thank u! We liked everything.

great location, but not very cosy. i´ve been there 3 times because the location is great but i never got the room that i booked. some rooms are very nice and quiet but there are also rooms with no windows or rooms, that are next to the stairs, which can get very noisy in the nighttime. but still, if you need a low priced room to stay this is your hostel

If you take the 6-bed dorm with in-room shower, you'll get excellent sanitary on a budget! Staff could be friendlier, but what do you expect at 3 am. Very good value for money on an excellent location!

I booked a single room tand it ended up being a tiny closet! Im not exagerrating.The door nearly hit the end of the bed, so it was like a capsule of a room. I was too exhausted after a long flight to take the lift down to reception late at night to complain,but it was nothing like the photo on the website and I felt ripped off. The second night I stayed in a dorm, and it was one of the best I've seen in a while. More like 3 star accom for cheap. Downside was loud, first time chinese backpackers.

We really did not understand the rating of this hostel and the enthusiastic reviews from other people. A tiny room with no window, poor decoration, no place to sit at all, no place to relax outside the bedroom. Staff doesn't talk to you. No reason to linger in this hostel, it's just a place to sleep if you don't find anything else.

I like this hostel because of the location. I stayed at "Basic 10 Bed Mixed Dorm". It's not brilliant atmosphere but the bathrooms were clean. So, if you want to stay longer and reasonable price, this is highly recommended ^^.

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Japan

if you need a clean place to sleep that is right next to the bund and close to nanjinglu this is your hostel! it´s clean, quiet and the staff is nice and helpful as well. internet connection often failed or was slow and the common room is not that cosy as well, but because of the location it´s one of my favorites in shanghai