Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel Reviews

No.55 Xianggang Road, Shanghai, China

If you r looking for new friends to meet, DO NOT stay here. Frankly speaking, I have never seen people in hostel like this : I tried to talk to 1 of the girls in the room but she doesnt seem to b Interested in the conversation. n at night back at the hostel everyone's using their computers n no one's talking. Same atmosphere in the common room. there r lots of mainland Chinese here tho. N they all seem to b busy w/ their work. Cleanliness: NIGHTMARE. An inch-thick dust on window.

Great Location, Double standar private room big enought, AC, TV, Clean. Tha staff was extremely kind, and helped us every time we needed. Speaks very good english. They gave ua a spanish map! much appreciated!! Suggestion. Please instruction of Washing machine and driyng machine tranlated!

The issue with this hostel isn't the price or the location: it's the cleanliness. They keep the garbage from each room in the hallway of the 3rd floor where all of the rooms are and don't remove it on a daily basis. There were rats in the hallway around the trash area, fleas and mosquitos in the room, and an overwhelming smell of ammonia on our final day. It's cheap--- but if you're a stickler for cleanliness, pay 10 more dollars and stay elsewhere.

• 30th Oct 2013

My single room was really small and without window. Though you cannot expect more for this price in Shanghai, I guess. Most important for me: it was clean and you can tell the staff when you want them to clean it. It had TV and aircondition so it is okay to sleep and relax. There is a common room on the same floor where you can sit by the window to eat or whatever, this makes up for the missing space and window. Staff was all nice and helpful. The subway station is about 10 -15 minutes walk ...

• 21st Oct 2013

Overall I was really happy with this hostel. I booked a double room for myself. Lining in that room felt more like living in a hotel than in a hostel. I liked the location of the Hostel very much. This hostel is the cheapest one on this area, I found. Everything was great. There was only tree little bad but for me acceptable things: 1. My room had no window 2. No common room to sit down together with other guests 3. The cleaning staff began to make a bit noise very early

• 19th Oct 2013

We were a big group, but everything went smooth. Good service, cheap prices, comfy beds, awesome location. all you could want from a weekend in Shanghai

Dock bund hostel mostly fit our needs. The double room was comfortable and clean. The only negative was that the wifi did not reach our room (6303). We had to sit in the hall or common areas to get service. With the hotel room set up, the atmosphere is not very hostel-like, but is pleasant. Location is good for seeing sights in Shanghai. Staff was kind and friendly. Pleased overall with our stay and would recommend it.

Awesome place to stay for a short visit in Shanghai. The wifi could have been better but overall a great, cheap hostel close to the centre.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Sweden

The hostel is well located. The morning staff at the reception was nice and helpful. However, the evening receptionist was not very friendly at all nor helpful. When I asked about ways of going yo the circus or how to book tickets he looked annoyed by my questions and would not help much. The single room is a shoebox with no windows and the aircon is noisy and straight on your face.

• 19th Sep 2013
  • Spain

Good value for money

Great value got the price....great location near the Bund...but difficult to find at first.Room was clean but the rest of the place could use a good scrubbing and deodorizing....nonetheless ,would stay again.

When we arrived at 8:45pm after a long days travel very tired and hungry. they told us the room we had booked was not available. So they relocated us to another place about 5-10min walk away. It's was a nicer place, so that was good, but they didn't have a room with double bed like we had booked so had to settle for two singles. Nothing major, just a little annoying. But the staff from the Dock Bund place seemed really friendly.

It is very pleasure to stay in this hostel because it made me full of satisfaction in terms of the staff service, especially when i requested anything from the receptionist, they will try their best to fulfill my requirement, especially Miss Ma & Mr Hou. Glad to meet any staff there, Thank you guys!!!

• 28th Aug 2013
  • Malaysia

Very friendly and fairly good English speaking staff. Even got a refund for the nights we didn't use because we found an apartment early. Really enjoyed our staying!

Good location, staff ok, but not really nice as in some other hostels. We did not like that there were no common place to hang out or a bar or restaurant... we had a private room and it was nice and clean, but without the window and we could not sleep really well because we were in 3rd floor and you could hear everybody from 4th floor walking around (also all the night)..

The hostel was, for me, in desperate need of a better common room. There was no place to hang out - no couches or dimmed lights - and even worse; there was no place to get food or drinks even. In many aspects, the hostel seemed more like a cheap hotel...

• 15th Aug 2013
  • Denmark

It was terrible. The room was so small, without any window inside. Moreover, the room smelled so much and nobody came to clean the room for 4 days. Lift could reach only the 3rd floor, my room was on the 4th floor so I had to bring my luggages upstairs by myself. I really don`t like it. In fact, on 18th I went away cause fortunately I found a room to rent. I know it is an hostel so it can not offer like an hotel service, but I think that they have to lower the price at least.

• 14th Aug 2013

This Hostel was situated in a back alley, very close to the Bund, which was nice, but the streets were very dark, so it didn't have a really nice feel. The staff was barely able to speak English, and even in Chinese not friendly or helpful. The rooms were ok, but not more, the AC dripping water all over the floor (obviously for ages already) and the bathrooms were just ok clean.

Thank u! We liked everything.

great location, but not very cosy. i´ve been there 3 times because the location is great but i never got the room that i booked. some rooms are very nice and quiet but there are also rooms with no windows or rooms, that are next to the stairs, which can get very noisy in the nighttime. but still, if you need a low priced room to stay this is your hostel