Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel Reviews

No.55 Xianggang Road, Shanghai, China

Tucked in a small street, it enjoys unbeatable location on the Bund. Not so spacious on the 1st floor, but better on the 3rd floor where most rooms are located. Staffs are efficient and considerable.

The only thing that I like about this hostel is their location. It is very near to The Bund area. The staffs at the reception is not really friendly as they just answer no and don't know to our inquiry. If you look for a hostel to socialize with other traveler, this hostel is not the best one but in terms of location, it is acceptable.

A little bit cold, however, Clean, Good Location, Good staff.

The location of this hostel is fantastic.. only a few minutes from the Bund and Very close to the many shops and restaurants. The hostel itself needs a lot of attention, our room was small, cold, damp and dirty! The staff speak good English but are not particularly friendly. Overall the hostel was OK.

greate location, high value. thank you for the helpful, friendly staff.

If you r looking for new friends to meet, DO NOT stay here. Frankly speaking, I have never seen people in hostel like this : I tried to talk to 1 of the girls in the room but she doesnt seem to b Interested in the conversation. n at night back at the hostel everyone's using their computers n no one's talking. Same atmosphere in the common room. there r lots of mainland Chinese here tho. N they all seem to b busy w/ their work. Cleanliness: NIGHTMARE. An inch-thick dust on window.

Great Location, Double standar private room big enought, AC, TV, Clean. Tha staff was extremely kind, and helped us every time we needed. Speaks very good english. They gave ua a spanish map! much appreciated!! Suggestion. Please instruction of Washing machine and driyng machine tranlated!

The issue with this hostel isn't the price or the location: it's the cleanliness. They keep the garbage from each room in the hallway of the 3rd floor where all of the rooms are and don't remove it on a daily basis. There were rats in the hallway around the trash area, fleas and mosquitos in the room, and an overwhelming smell of ammonia on our final day. It's cheap--- but if you're a stickler for cleanliness, pay 10 more dollars and stay elsewhere.

• 30th Oct 2013

My single room was really small and without window. Though you cannot expect more for this price in Shanghai, I guess. Most important for me: it was clean and you can tell the staff when you want them to clean it. It had TV and aircondition so it is okay to sleep and relax. There is a common room on the same floor where you can sit by the window to eat or whatever, this makes up for the missing space and window. Staff was all nice and helpful. The subway station is about 10 -15 minutes walk ...

• 21st Oct 2013

Overall I was really happy with this hostel. I booked a double room for myself. Lining in that room felt more like living in a hotel than in a hostel. I liked the location of the Hostel very much. This hostel is the cheapest one on this area, I found. Everything was great. There was only tree little bad but for me acceptable things: 1. My room had no window 2. No common room to sit down together with other guests 3. The cleaning staff began to make a bit noise very early

• 19th Oct 2013

We were a big group, but everything went smooth. Good service, cheap prices, comfy beds, awesome location. all you could want from a weekend in Shanghai

Dock bund hostel mostly fit our needs. The double room was comfortable and clean. The only negative was that the wifi did not reach our room (6303). We had to sit in the hall or common areas to get service. With the hotel room set up, the atmosphere is not very hostel-like, but is pleasant. Location is good for seeing sights in Shanghai. Staff was kind and friendly. Pleased overall with our stay and would recommend it.

Awesome place to stay for a short visit in Shanghai. The wifi could have been better but overall a great, cheap hostel close to the centre.

• 23rd Sep 2013
  • Sweden

The hostel is well located. The morning staff at the reception was nice and helpful. However, the evening receptionist was not very friendly at all nor helpful. When I asked about ways of going yo the circus or how to book tickets he looked annoyed by my questions and would not help much. The single room is a shoebox with no windows and the aircon is noisy and straight on your face.

• 19th Sep 2013
  • Spain

Good value for money

Great value got the price....great location near the Bund...but difficult to find at first.Room was clean but the rest of the place could use a good scrubbing and deodorizing....nonetheless ,would stay again.

When we arrived at 8:45pm after a long days travel very tired and hungry. they told us the room we had booked was not available. So they relocated us to another place about 5-10min walk away. It's was a nicer place, so that was good, but they didn't have a room with double bed like we had booked so had to settle for two singles. Nothing major, just a little annoying. But the staff from the Dock Bund place seemed really friendly.

It is very pleasure to stay in this hostel because it made me full of satisfaction in terms of the staff service, especially when i requested anything from the receptionist, they will try their best to fulfill my requirement, especially Miss Ma & Mr Hou. Glad to meet any staff there, Thank you guys!!!

• 28th Aug 2013
  • Malaysia

Very friendly and fairly good English speaking staff. Even got a refund for the nights we didn't use because we found an apartment early. Really enjoyed our staying!

Good location, staff ok, but not really nice as in some other hostels. We did not like that there were no common place to hang out or a bar or restaurant... we had a private room and it was nice and clean, but without the window and we could not sleep really well because we were in 3rd floor and you could hear everybody from 4th floor walking around (also all the night)..