Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel Reviews

No.55 Xianggang Road, Shanghai, China

Good location, staff ok, but not really nice as in some other hostels. We did not like that there were no common place to hang out or a bar or restaurant... we had a private room and it was nice and clean, but without the window and we could not sleep really well because we were in 3rd floor and you could hear everybody from 4th floor walking around (also all the night)..

The hostel was, for me, in desperate need of a better common room. There was no place to hang out - no couches or dimmed lights - and even worse; there was no place to get food or drinks even. In many aspects, the hostel seemed more like a cheap hotel...

• 15th Aug 2013
  • Denmark

It was terrible. The room was so small, without any window inside. Moreover, the room smelled so much and nobody came to clean the room for 4 days. Lift could reach only the 3rd floor, my room was on the 4th floor so I had to bring my luggages upstairs by myself. I really don`t like it. In fact, on 18th I went away cause fortunately I found a room to rent. I know it is an hostel so it can not offer like an hotel service, but I think that they have to lower the price at least.

• 14th Aug 2013

This Hostel was situated in a back alley, very close to the Bund, which was nice, but the streets were very dark, so it didn't have a really nice feel. The staff was barely able to speak English, and even in Chinese not friendly or helpful. The rooms were ok, but not more, the AC dripping water all over the floor (obviously for ages already) and the bathrooms were just ok clean.

Thank u! We liked everything.

great location, but not very cosy. i´ve been there 3 times because the location is great but i never got the room that i booked. some rooms are very nice and quiet but there are also rooms with no windows or rooms, that are next to the stairs, which can get very noisy in the nighttime. but still, if you need a low priced room to stay this is your hostel

If you take the 6-bed dorm with in-room shower, you'll get excellent sanitary on a budget! Staff could be friendlier, but what do you expect at 3 am. Very good value for money on an excellent location!

I booked a single room tand it ended up being a tiny closet! Im not exagerrating.The door nearly hit the end of the bed, so it was like a capsule of a room. I was too exhausted after a long flight to take the lift down to reception late at night to complain,but it was nothing like the photo on the website and I felt ripped off. The second night I stayed in a dorm, and it was one of the best I've seen in a while. More like 3 star accom for cheap. Downside was loud, first time chinese backpackers.

We really did not understand the rating of this hostel and the enthusiastic reviews from other people. A tiny room with no window, poor decoration, no place to sit at all, no place to relax outside the bedroom. Staff doesn't talk to you. No reason to linger in this hostel, it's just a place to sleep if you don't find anything else.

I like this hostel because of the location. I stayed at "Basic 10 Bed Mixed Dorm". It's not brilliant atmosphere but the bathrooms were clean. So, if you want to stay longer and reasonable price, this is highly recommended ^^.

• 19th Jul 2013
  • Japan

if you need a clean place to sleep that is right next to the bund and close to nanjinglu this is your hostel! it´s clean, quiet and the staff is nice and helpful as well. internet connection often failed or was slow and the common room is not that cosy as well, but because of the location it´s one of my favorites in shanghai

The AC was awsome!!

• 12th Jul 2013

I stayed in the single-bed private room, and it was very claustrophobic (fourth floor, and elevator only goes to third floor). The entire hostel has a rather moldy, cramped feel to it, and the staff seemed very lackluster about greeting guests. It is also a few blocks away from the nearest subway stop, and the streets are not ideal for walking with luggage in tow. Maybe it is best to take a cab there. All this said, I should point out the location is excellent and the prices are low!

It was clean and location was good, close to bund and east nanjing road. Staff speak very less english. They made one room as a common place but it was so small for so many people

• 8th Jul 2013
  • Turkey

Super close to the bund, really convenient location, had Internet, computer rooms with free use, clean beds, nice showers and complimentary soap and shampoo for the 6 bed rooms. Definitely helped us figure out good places to visit and was a good value!

• 5th Jul 2013

Generally good hostel, but my stay was over shadowed by a bad run in with the cleaners. While I was in the room, the cleaners twice damaged my property, one quite badly, and at one point standing on my property. And when I showed them the damage, they simply laughed it off and went back to their work. There may be cultural differences, but I feel this is beyond rude and disrespectful. After complaining to reception, they sided with the cleaner and I moved hostel. I can not recommend this hostel.

didn't like it cause no common room, except just for the computer room

Our room was very moldy, had a broken toilet, and was not at all nice.

• 1st Jul 2013

Good location close by the Bund and friendly staff, but please don't allow smoking inside the hostel!

• 1st Jul 2013