Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Reviews

No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China

I would like to review my stay, however I wouldn't really call it much of a stay seeing as when we arrived there was in fact no room for us in the hotel, even though we had booked! We arrived in the middle of the night and we were four young girls. Being told you have no room, in a location you don't know at all was very scary and worrying. The hotel offered no alternatives and were unhelpful in this situation, they even laughed at our situation. They didn't even help us with an alternative.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

The hostel is at the end of an alley, but its location in Shanghai is good. Easy to get to other sights. Very friendly staff and quite good atmosphere too.

I chose this hostel because was the only one available for the New Year.The hostel is not in the main street but you have to walk along a very bad little street before to reach it.The hostel itself is not bad looking, but the room was on the first floor and was really cold. We asked for the heating system but the first night was broken and the others night it worked just for a few hours. Then, they didn't give us the blankets for the first two night! They forgot it!

Staff speaks really less English. Heater does not work. Warm water in the shower not available. Booked Room was also not available.

Found the Hidden Garden Hostel at the end of a dirty, dark alley. The lobby was nice, but we received bad directions from the receptionists twice. The room itself was horrible. The walls were covered in mold and the room was so damp that the bedding and any clothes left out felt damp by the end of the day. We tried to leave the fan going to air out the room, but the staff would come in and turn it off. Why they were in a private room to see the fan going when they don't clean is a mystery.

1) There was really ODD SMELL in my room (and not only in my room). 2) It was pleasant to have bathroom on my room, but it was not very clean. 3) The aircond was not very good. 4) You must walk through DARK AND SCARY STREET to get there. 5) Staff was very helpfull and there was a NICE ATMOSPHERE that fortunately SAVED EVERYTHING. And they have nearly every movie (you can watch it whenever you want). 6) Drinks were NOT EXPENSIVE there as well as the western menu.they offer.

Food was overpriced for the quality served, there were large tangles of black hair stuck to the room's bathroom wall, location is more than 10 min walk from metro and hostel is reached by walking down a filthy back alley.Staff is helpful, not friendly.

I liked the place because I met super nice travellers there... generally there was nice atmosphere among travellers. Staff was ok as well. But there were cockroaches and that was quite disgusting, and also in our room there was no air conditioning working so we've asked if it's possible to move us to some other room. But unfortunately they could only offer us second room in which air conditioning was really noisy, but we agreed on that. At least they've tried to help us. That was August 2013.

The location is half decent as it is about 10 minutes from a subway station. The staff speak very little english, and are only helpful if you are willing to spend 1-2 hours at the front desk. The food is a rip-off. The 30 yuan breakfast included "omelette, bacon, and tomatoes" was actually just one egg, one bacon, and two mini tomatoes. At one point two people were streaming movies online, and thus no one had internet access, not even the front desk, and they were unwilling to tell them to stop.

Two problems: - A sign in the bathroom stated "if you need your towels / sheets changed, leave them in the basin". When I did this, my dirty towels were merely folded and put back on their shelf, not changed. - The shower has a freezing mode and a scalding mode, but no pleasant-temperature mode. On the plus side, the air conditioner did work well.

Staff was very helpful. Guy at the desk helped me order food and even brought the food to my room even though I checked in after 2am. Only negative was the shower. Nearly impossible to set a luke warm temperature and shower had no water pressure.

The Huangpu river is close by here, a really nice place in the evening when it gets cool. Also, Rushan, a street behind the hostel has really lovely and lively vibes. Staff are super helpful and about half speak good English. Breakfast is not good.

Fine for one or two nights and maybe if you already visited shanghai and just need a place to sleep. Location is not perfect to discover the city and especially in the night taxis from puxi can be 50+ Stayed in a double room with TV. The internetTV also had some english movies.

Very nice staff. Friendly atmosphere.

• 27th Jun 2013

Well... This place is far from the subway station, there was a rat in the kitchen, cleaning personnel is rude and non polite, was summer and they unplug the A/C in the afternoon and took off the remote controls. The staff girls do their best but they speak really bad English. Even someone stole 2 of my t-shirts while were drying on the roof. Is also full of Chinese people staying for long term, besides that is cheap and guests are friendly.

I only stayed one night. The welcome is so so. The hostel is well placed, not too expensive. The stairs to rooms is not so convenient for luggage.

good place for fairly low price, not quite in the center, but very close - location is in business area of shanghai. very good price for rooms for shanghai, also nice interior design

The rooms smell very bad, some of them dont have windows and smell too much like humedity you could grow mushrooms. If you decide to come make sure you get a room with window. The bathroom in the room smells always like pee and is pretty disgusting. Is close to the train station and lots of good places to eat around. Perfect for a couple of nights, but for longer staying is a bit annoying.

The courtyard was really nice and with a good atmosphere. It was a really calming place. The only thing we didn't like was the humid room with a kind of moldy smell. But it was raining when we came so maybe that had an impact. Good location.

Nice place, staff, location and common areas! Our bathroom was very dirty, but that has more to do with the people staying there than the hostel. It was nice located, the staff spoke english and helped us out when needed. When we booked train tickets they even bought it with their own card and we payed them in cash. I can recommend this place highly! I would stay here again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7