• No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai, China
Good 384 Total Reviews
Good 384 Total Reviews
Shanghai Hidden Garden Youth Hostel Located at No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District, Shanghai.
China
Shanghai 200120 No. 840A, Lane 834, Pudong Avenue, Lujiazui District
66% 384
31.2391874 121.5271139
    Rooms available

• USA, Couple, 18-24
26th Apr 2016

My wife and I have stayed here 3 times already. First Hostel we stayed at in China together so it has good memories. The staff has always been friendly and the rooms are what you pay for. Not top of the line but just good enough for the night. We always stay here when we are in Shanghai, we will upgrade when we have enough money though.

• Czech Republic, Female, 18-24
16th Apr 2016
4.3

We had reservation for 2 beds in a female 8 bed dormitory with a bathroom and a locker. We informed them that we will arrive at 8pm and this is the time we arrived. However, when we arrived the room we booked was already full. Instead we got 2 beds in a mixed 20 beds room with no bathroom, no lockers and no roomkey for exactly the same price.

• Australia, Female, 41+
11th Apr 2016

The Shanghai Hidden Garden Hostel is an oasis amongst the towering skyscapers of this huge and bustling city. The reception staff were great and the communal facilitaties terrific. My only concern was the cleanliness of the dorms and some maintenance issues regarding the general state of the hostel.

• Australia, Couple, 25-30
25th Mar 2016
6.3

The hostel is very hard to find. Staff are friendly and pretty good with their English. Rooms smelt bad and the shower was pretty disappointing. Nice and close to the train and some local restaurants and supermarkets.

• mathiasmavraganis8300
  • Denmark, Male, 18-24
23rd Mar 2016
7.7

The best with the hostel was the staff and the atmosphere. Sue at the reception was a huge help in both planning my stay in shanghai and helped me plan my trip through China, booking hostels for me. The many common spaces and the central courtyard made it very cozy. Unfortunately the rooms and facilities in general could really use a caring hand. The door to the bathroom in my room could barely close and the shower was from a past century. Locationwise it was fine, close to lots of restaurants.

• France, Mixed Group, 18-24
7th Feb 2016
6.6

Many cozy common places, a lovely garden with a veranda to relax, a TV with movies and games... Nice staff as well, BUT our dorm and our bathroom were the dirtiest I have ever experienced in a hostel. The ceiling was full of damp stains and both the dorm and the bathroom stinked. The walls of the bathroom were covered of browned stains and the smell was unbearable! This hostel could have been great, but guys, do something about it...

• Jamaica, Male, 31-40
4th Feb 2016
6.6

Better signage and direction (online) to find the place, PLEASE. Improve warmth during the winter season (functioning or better air conditioner or heating system), especially in the lobby. Improve English communication if the staff (especially since you are business that deal with international travelers).

• USA, All Female Group, 25-30
29th Jan 2016
3.7

This is definitely a "last resort" hostel. I received contradicting directions from the website and confirmation email but finally found it at the end of a dark sketchy alley. My sheets were damp and so was the room (there was mold in the ceiling). The heater didn't work and so I was freezing all night...I literally slept in my coat. The other girls in the room appeared to live there and someone was using my assigned locker as their underwear drawer. Definitely won't be back!

10th Jan 2016
3.1

I rarely leave reviews on Hostel World but I can say that without a doubt this is one of the worst hostels I've ever stayed in. The room I was in was disgusting. It appeared that the other guests had been their for some time and that the room had not been cleaned in months. The bathroom door was waterlogged such that it would not even close. The lobby area was decent but the staff seemed to have no real responsibilities besides checking people in and out. It is not located near anything of note.

• Ireland, Female, 18-24
4th Jan 2016
6.0

Enjoyed my stay here mostly because of the girls I met in the room. They helped me improve my mandarin and we had many interesting conversations. I stayed here for nearly 2 months while I was waiting to move into an apartment. I wouldn't recommend the place if you were staying for a holiday in Shanghai as it's quite away from the touristy areas. The hostel is more so for people trying to get set up Shanghai (i.e. English teachers, students etc).