Shanghai Koala Garden House Reviews

240 DuoLun Road, Hongkou District, Shanghai, China

Very dirty rooms, we saw a mouse in the WC's... It's not normal sorry.

• 4th Apr 2014
  • Morocco

CHEATED.Upon booking, I confirmed via e-mail, everything seemed to be OK. When I arrived to the hostel, the reception girl told me my booking was not in her list. She proposed me a private room, for double the price I had seen on Hostelworld.com. I told her I'd rather stay in a shared room. Apparently they were all full; she proposed a tiny room behind the reception counter, (100 yuan/night,200 yuan deposit). I went to another hotel. Of course, I never got back the money I had paid upon booking!

• 2nd Jan 2014

The staff is a complete mixed bag. Some of the employees are quite helpful and can speak decent to very good English, but then the older man who runs the hostel at night can't speak a word of English and is no help whatsoever. It took over a half hour for them to check me in, and I was practically interrogated about my visa and passport, something that I have never had a problem with before. The lock on our door did not work, and it took over two days for the three of us to have our own keys

This could be a really good hostel spoilt only by poorly trained, poorly supported staff. In particular the owners son is extremely rude and arrogant and has no sense of customer service whatsoever. It took me more than 10 minutes to pay for coffee when I was leaving - no change in the till and the owners son couldn't be bothered to go and get any. A pity really because it is nicely located, the rooms are ok and the food is pretty good.

Thank you guys, well done... and see you next time i come to shanghai

• 17th Nov 2013
  • Somalia

You can't ask for a better Shanghai location (once you find the place) and everyone was very friendly and helpful (pluse they have great coffee!)