Shangri-Lagos Hostel Reviews

Travessa Gil Vicente 15, Lagos, Portugal

I had a comfortable and enjoyable stay at Shangri-Lagos. Loved the outdoor garden area and the colorful decor of the building. All of the walls are decked out with praise from past visitors - very positive vibe. Always reggae & good music playing. Perhaps this isn't the place for solo travelers (or perhaps it's just Lagos as whole), as almost everyone I met had come with a group.

Great location with an amazing chill out garden where everybody can meet and mingle. Unfortunately lots of problems during our stay with over booking, which some staff handled amazingly while others were rude and unhelpful. Not ideal situation. Cheers to the that did help and did a great job accommodating our needs. Lots of suggested activities and recommendations from friendly staff really made our trip. Great place to meet other travellers, and lots extended their stays which says it all!

We stayed at the second building in a little room without windows or any kind of ventilation, the matresses are covered in plastic so that we woke up totally sweaty many times per night. The bathrooms (only 2 for 5 rooms) were filthy, the whole place seemed dirty. The staff was friendly but didn't know anything about the greater area or travelling in Portugal. They also had problems with overbooking but that did not affect us. Would definitely never book there again.

Great stay at Shangri! It was already my second stay here and I will definitely be back for a third one. The hostel garden is just perfect to chill and meet people, especially after a long night out!

Had a great stay in shangrilagos!! They have a separate building with a quieter vibe and great if you have 2 or 3 people with you! Great if you want to get away from the crazy party atmosphere and chill out for a bit. The staff were amazing! I forgot my passport in my room while checking out and went to Lisbon, but the staff emailed me straight away and kept it safe, even offering it to mail it to me. Luckily I was heading down to lagos again anyway so I picked it up! Great value!

One of the worst hostel I've stayed at, the staff seemed very unorganised with more than a few over bookings and in general. Bathrooms were pretty bad with 1 toilet for 20 beds. The lockers were so flimsy ad only held together with glue. Beds were broken and held together with duct tape. 1 charging port per room and wifi wasn't good. The court yard was good as was the bartender though.

Hostel overbooked and kicked us out on a busy Saturday night, despite taking our deposit. Arrived in town with nowhere to stay. Very rude staff, who pretended they were trying to help us, but were playing games with us, and offered us no apology or form of compensation. Insulted our intelligence. If you stay here, ensure that your booking is 100% guartenteed so you do not waste your time and money!

• 9th Aug 2014

Staff generally friendly and helpful, but overall experience pretty average due to issues such as overbooking, broken/old amenities etc.

They only cool thing this hostel has is a nice patio, which they close at 10:30. Beds are noisy and it gets really hot and sticky inside the rooms. No A/C. Staff is cool and helpful, but if you want the Lagos-party experience, go somewhere else.

What a place! Me and my friend had the best time at Shangri. We planned to stay for 2 nights, it ended up in 5 instead. The staff was amazing and I really recommend this place! Probably not for the familyvacation, more like the opposite;)

• 29th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

Confusion about our booking on arrival and beds not being ready was made up by Will looking after us at the bar as the night progressed. Good vibes in the beer garden to get the nights rolling, great location - just a quick walk to and easy stumble back from the bars. Not far from the beach either

There are no outlets in any useable area. Only one bathroom for a lot of people. The lockers are so flimsy you might as well just leave your things out. Will the bartender is an awesome dude and the lounge area has a solid vibe but other than that this place needs some work.

Paid extra for a private room, which had no wifi, shower didnt work, staff were slow and unhelpful (however the english owners were great guys) , thought i was getting a double bed or at least 2 singles in my twin private with my girlfriend but we got bunkbeds. Not what we expected on arrival, wouldnt not recomend

Beds were really clean -- clean sheets, mattresses, etc. -- but the showers were just okay, and the rest of the hostel overall was grubby. However, the chill vibe of the staff and other people staying here was perfect -- far better than some other hostels in the area.

• 18th Jul 2014

Cool hippy vibes at Shargi-Lagos. Stayed at 3 different hostels in Lagos and this was definitely my favourite. Staff was very friendly and helpful and the outdoor garden is a great place to chill. The other hostels I stayed at were pretty rough so this was definitely a nice oasis to finally stumble into. Would say a must stay if you are in lagos trying to avoid the Aussie party bro vibe that has taken over the town. Thats not to say this place isn't loads of fun because it definitely is.

Loved this hostel. Lagos in July is full of full-time partiers who go crazy every night. Shangri-Lagos was a good respite from all of the madness. There are images of Buddha all over the place and they burn incense. It's perfect if you want to party and have fun, but meet some more relaxed people and have a safe and clean place to spend the night. The garden is a wonderful place to recharge. Location is perfect - seconds away from the main strip, but quiet at night. Staff is helpful and friendly

Really nice staff, an amazing vibe... and we especially loved the garden! The rooms and bathromms are a bit too small for the price, in my opinion.

Overall a great vibe and great garden area but was disappointed by the false advertising - many facilities they claim to have they could not provide e.g. washing machine/laundry facilities, towels are not free, bbq, no wifi if you're not in the main building. There are better options in lagos that still have a great vibe while providing better facilities. No privacy in showers or locks on dorm doors.

We were in the second building across the street. No wifi in that whole building which was a shame. Pretty average facilities on the whole. Decent vibe in the main building and the garden area, but there are nicer hostels in Lagos.

Awesome staff, vibe was incredible and loved every minute of my stay. Definitely be back

• 5th Jul 2014