Shelter Jordan Reviews

Bloemstraat 179, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My room (a four bedroom room) was very cramped. There were two bunk banks and four lockers, no table or even a chair. If all of us decided to (un)pack at the same time, there would be no chance. The building was very noisy owing to very thin walls. There is no kitchen, or even a kettle, just a microwave. They mention Christian hospitality on their website, yet they do charge 40 Euro cents for hot water to a half litter flask. I found it rather odd. Besides that, staff is lovely.

This was the beginning of my trip and as a 25 year old female travelling alone I was somewhat apprehensive but as soon as I arrived in shelter Jordan I felt at ease. I cannot praise the staff highly enough they treated me like a friend rather than a customer. The free walking tour is also worth going on. I stayed in a 18 bed dorm which sounds like a tight squeeze but it was actually ok. I never had to wait to use a shower or toilet and there were lockers in the room. 100% would stay again!

• 28th Aug 2015
  • Northern Ireland

This hostel is clean and safe, it's probably the best choice for female traveler in Amsterdam, so I will definitely recommend It to my female friend who wants to travel in Amsterdam alone.

Hostel is 5 minutes walk from the tram and bus station, 15 minutes walk from Anne Frank House. Friendly staff and great breakfast. Map available in at the receptionist so that's convenient.

Was very clean and comfortable, the room was great. i will be coming back.

• 27th Aug 2015

The staffs are super nice, and friendly . The location is easily to go every attractive and markets. It's pity that they don't have lift, so if you carry heavy luggages, you have to find someone to help. The breakfast is basic but full for girl. There's rarely socket in the dorm, so it's better to bring multi-socket with you. Having a nice day, people here are so friendly.

Very nice people. Reat location ans low prices

Overall is good !! Will go back again if I go alone trip in Amsterdam . Just some small things need to improve will be perfect ! The wifi not work during my first night stay at my hall . Moreover , one sucket for 4 beds people to share not convènient . Especially , the socket location at a very position , for upper deck bed user , not convenient for lower bed me .

• 25th Aug 2015
  • Hong Kong

Thanks for your comments. Only the largest dormitory doesn't have one socket per bed - sorry for that - in the smaller rooms there is a light and socket by every bed.

It was great, except for a bad smell in one corner of the room.

great place! excellent food!

Very homely environment & staff extremely corurtescious

• 23rd Aug 2015

I loved this 'little' hostel. The staff were so kind warm and helpful that i felt immediately at 'home'. I actually enjoyed returning after a hectic day sight seeing as their was an atmosphere of domestic calm and order that was an antidote to the hedonism of the city. Reflecting on my short stay at Shelter Jordan I can confidently say that i hold it and the memories of my lovely time in Amsterdam with equal fondness. Thank you.

• 18th Aug 2015

It's in a nice and safe neighborhood and has good river around. The staffs are really nice and the warm breakfast was quite good. The facilities are a bit old but it was alright to use. Nice and secure hostel within good price.

It was wonderful to stay there, staff there are very helpful and responsible to each person. Breakfast was good, bed was comfy and it is close to reach central station.

The Shelter in Amsterdam has a great relaxed, comfortable, and homey feel that's just perfect to recuperate weary travelers! The cafe, with the homemade food and comfy atmosphere, was a great place to hang out and grab a bite of very affordable food! The fact that all the staff are volunteers gives the Shelter a really friendly vibe. Loved my stay here.

Measures must be taken to insure less theft. One of my dorm-mates had her iphone stolen. There are lockers for everyone; but they are meant to correspond with the number of your assigned bed...in my case virtually no-one in the room of 16 put their things in the assigned locker. Perhaps the information about assigned bed and assigned locker can be stressed while absolute honesty about the risk of not locking up valuables can also be stressed. Tell visitors about the theft and let them decide

Great place with great volunteers, close to every good spot to see in Amsterdam. I really recomand to stay on it !

• 16th Aug 2015

This hostel is in a great location, and the staff is very friendly. Unfortunately, I don't think it has the best value for money. I stayed in a 18 bed all female dorm. There was only one socket for every four beds! I don't think it would cost much for them to buy an extension cord so that each bed had their own plug. The front desk does offer to charge your things for you, though. I could only see 4 toilets and showers on my floor even though there were other rooms on the floor.

the ostel is clean beautiful and near the centre

This place is a light in a dark place. "They will know you are Christians by your love" and "By their fruit you will recognize them." That is Hostel Jordan. I was encouraged by the staff and it was a blessing to also be able to share my life and experiences with them. It was a little bit difficult to rent a bike as you had to give a deposit, and it was more than I had. Since I was leaving the next day, I didn't want to get 50 more out.

• 12th Aug 2015