Shelter Jordan Reviews

Bloemstraat 179, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Shelter Jordan was my first hostel experience and it was more than I expected!! The staff were great and very friendly and helpful! I felt very safe and secure in this hostel. I stayed in the 18 bed dorm and it was very quiet and people were very respectful. The bathrooms and rooms were very clean. The free breakfast was phenomenal!! They made it fresh for you that morning and it was homemade. They do a free dinner every weekend as well which was great and allowed you meet different people!

• 12th Feb 2015

Besides the fact that there were very few plugs at the hostel, this was a great experience. It was clean and the staff were very friendly. Everyone spoke at least two or three languages (dutch, english, and usually spanish). The hot breakfast was also very good. Overall a great hostel.

• 12th Feb 2015

A great hostel, located in one of the prettiest areas of Amsterdam, at walking distance from everything. A very clean, quiet and friendly place. + The staff was extremely helpful on my 1st day - my credit card and my phone didn't work anymore for some reason (the nightmare of all travellers). They let me use the hostel's facilities (and their own phone) until some money was transfered to me by a friend and I could pay for my stay. Thanks ever so much for that !

It was one of the best hostel I stayed since I travel. It's a christian hostel, but you don't feel pushed in any ways. You just can feel the respect and the calm. People play guitar and piano in the kitchen it's lovely. The breakfast is amazing! I had muesli and yogourt with a fruit and a coffee. The only thing is that there is not enough plugs to charge cellphones in the room, but they can charge it for you at the reception!

This is my first time to stay in a Christian hostel and the experience was awesome! The staff showed excellent hospitality and the atmosphere of the cafe was great. Nice breakfast! You can't miss the free walking tour they provide!

The staff are very pleasing and its a perfect youth hostel. If you are well behaved then you will like this place. I loved the 2 girls in the kitchen who despite last minute reservations had food for us and the guy at the reception desk was patient enough to answer all our questions. It is perfect for someone travelling during the day and returning for sleep.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • India

I wish there were more outlets! That was a major problem. But the breakfast was good, staff was nice, I was just confused as to why there were so many older people because it is a youth hostel.

Excellent in all aspects!!! =)

• 5th Feb 2015

If you like Jesus, and not having any fun, this is the place for you.

Very nice place to stay... Highly recommended

• 1st Feb 2015
  • India

I loved this hostal. They were so sweet, organized and prepared to help you with literally anything you needed. The rooms and bathrooms were clean and breakfast was delish!! I am not religous at all and actually just chose this place because there was no room at my friends hostal but by the end of my trip all my friends wished they stayed with me! Thank you so much shelter jordan for giving me a great first hostal experience, I will most definetley be seeing you again!

• 30th Jan 2015

I really really liked this hostel. I stayed in a 18 bed female dorm, although the 2 nights I stayed there, they were no more than 4 people in the room at a time. The room was split up very well for privacy too, and had lockers and such. The breakfast was free and was GREAT. I had a warm breakfast with toast and eggs and ham and cheese and it was so great and, FREE. They had other options too. The workers seem like they love being here, and they're all volunteers. I felt welcome in this hostel.

Great hostel, very friendly and helpful staffs, good location (but far away from central station. yet it is okay because there is a tram station nearby. Delicious superb breakfast. the only bad thing yet funny is you have to like their page on Facebook in order to get the free wifi and you have to post " I enjoy my stay at this hostel" on Facebook. But everything was all great.

Really great safe spot to explore the city. Happily stay again!

• 16th Jan 2015

Very laid back community. They have lots of young people on working vacations that staff the hostel, so there are always cool people to hang out with. They're all super nice. All of the girls on staff are really cute (especially the German painter at the reception). Guys were either old or slightly antisocial but it was definitely a safe environment. Definitely not a party hostel but it's a great way to settle into the peaceful side of Amsterdam. Safest hostel I stayed at in Amsterdam.

Great little place, friendly staff and really great atmosphere. Breakfast was pretty decent too. 15 euro deposit for key.

• 15th Jan 2015

As a non-Christian I felt very comfortable in this hostel. It wasn't like other hostel's I've visited but it served it's purpose. It was a pleasant experience, met some nice people. Staff were also really professional, and most importantly, kind. Even though our stay wasn't long, they didn't try to bible bash us at all. If you're interested in becoming Christian on you're vacation, this might be a perfect place to start.

• 12th Jan 2015

It is a bit expensive as I am staying there only for a Sat night. But it is still great, as the staff out there are really warm. They are willing to talk with anyone and give a hand.

I spent a night at the hostel with three of my friends and we really enjoyed our stay. I would recommend this hostel to anyone. We stayed in a four person room that is a little small for four strangers but was perfect for my friends and I. We were able to walk to everything we wanted to see and found a couple great coffee shops and restaurants in the Jordaan area. The hostel provides Christian activities but isn't uncomfortable for those who aren't Christians either.

Overall good stay at this hostel. Was disappointed that we were not allowed to use the actual kitchen as it is only for the staff, although there is a small refrigerator and microwave provided (a kitchen is not listed under facilities.) Staff was welcoming. Typical metal bunk beds in the dorm, provided with a clean sheet and blanket. Know to bring your own lock for the lockers, or you can buy one from them for 4 euros. This hostel is in a cool area, about a 25 minute walk from the center.