Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

The best thing with the place is the location for a quick and easy stopover in Joburg. Rob is quick and helpful with the pickup and dropoff. The facilities are ok with nice kitchen and tv, dorm bed and mattreses are caving in quite a bit and needs to be renewed. Wifi turned on between 08-10 and 19-22.

Convenient to airport. Rob picks you up from airport. A bit scruffy but ok for a night while waiting for transit.

• 13th Jul 2014

This place was dirty and gave me a bad vibe. The bunk beds are so unstable, and have no ladder so I was forced to step on the guy beneath me in order to get down. I wouldn't go in the showers, they were so gross. While it was nice to be close to the airport, I didn't sleep very well and didn't enjoy it.

Great place to stay near the airport. Comfortable, well heated and tidy. Free pick up and return to the airport by the lovely owner. Hassle free!

Traveling is making plans from your front doorstep till putting back your key in the door afterwards. The easy thing about the shoestrings airport lodge, you don't have to worry how to get to the hostel after a long flight, it's just a phone call away. They pick you up straight from the airport. Even if you didn't plan your trip in advanced the staff is friendly and will help you find interesting things or places to visit. No matter how you wish to stay (camping/dorm or private) it's great!!!

I totally dig Shoestrings. Rob, the owner/manager, is absolutely wonderful! Everytime I come to Johannesburg I stay at his lodge and I love it every time. It could perhaps be a bit cleaner and the beds could be a bit more comfortable, but I think that Rob's amazingness and willingness to help with anything just makes it completely worthwhile. I couldn't fathom staying anywhere in Johannesburg except for Shoestrings!

Rob, the man who runs the place, is something else. Always helpfull with everything, pick you up at the airport and also take you there when you should leave. However the place is really distant from the city center (around 25km), so be prepared to get a cab or rent a car to deslocate to the city. Good atmosphere, breakfast ok, but the room for 2 people is not very clean, the water is not always hot and we slept in a room which had no shower (just a bath).

Shoestrings is a great hostel for those who need to be close to the airport. Their free drop off / pick up was so helpful. Rob was very accommodating and willing to pick up and drop off whenever. The facilities were nice - not amazing, but a good comfortable place for backpackers to stay. Warm showers. Comfortable bed. Full kitchen. I'd definitely recommend Shoestrings and will stay there again the next time I pass through JoBurg.

Extremely convenient but definitely no frills. The owner will gladly pick you up from the airport which makes it the best choice if you're catching an early morning flight. But don't expect much to do or a whole lot of atmosphere. I stayed in a private room one night that wasn't too bad. But the next night was in a dorm and the "bed" was laughable. A two-inch mattress atop hard metal springs. The bed practically caved in! It'll make do for a night, but you'll be happy to move on.

• 30th Mar 2014

The reception was excellent and were dropped at the airport terminal at 6 AM, which is very appreciated.

• 18th Mar 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed our stay at Shoestrings. The owner, Rob, is a great guy. He personally fetched us from, and returned us to the airport, and went out of his way to be helpful. Although his hostel is in dire need of renovation, it is kept clean and tidy - and breakfast is provided too. This is not a party place, but everyone we met was very friendly. And although very close to the airport, the sound of planes did not bother us.

Great location from the airport and good garden.

We were disapointed with the facilities when we arrived at shoestrings. Although the hostel was set in a nice big house, the free wifi advertised was limited to just a couple of hours in the morning and evening and the big swimming pool was drained and was not ever used :-( The two things that helped us to decide to stay befire a long flight.

• 15th Feb 2014

The Owner is very nice and helpful. No credit cards. The owner offers free taxi transfer to the airport. It is clean but not very comfortable (old).... Ok for one night next to the airport for a cheap price incl. transfer...

Rob seems like a really nice guy, didn't get upset for me arriving at 11 pm. Recommended.

i miss rob