Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

Friiendly, helpful staff, very close to the airport, prompt free collection to & from the airport. Facilities a biit old & run down but clean & very cheap

The staff were very helpfull and friendly but the hostel conditions were very poor, but clean.

Everything was good here. Clean, hot shower, friendly, safe. Breakfast basic but fine. Pick up and drop off at airport quick and appreciated. Only negative comment would be limited wifi access.

A great manager, Rob, makes this place great! Very helpful, friendly, lots of knowledge. Location near airport is perfect for making this your jumping off place for other parts of Africa, including BazBus drop off/pick up at door. Very quiet despite proximity to airport, also near a nice restaurant, Protea Hotel. Wi-fi only in mornings and evenings. Decor isn't much to speak of, if that's important to you.

The hostel is clean, safe, and well-run, and the owner is very nice. The free airport transfer is a great bonus as well. It is ideal for people staying in Johannesburg only overnight (which was my situation). However, if you are staying in Johannesburg for a longer period of time and want to see the city, I recommend staying somewhere else. This hostel is also rather quiet and not particularly lively, so it wasn't a fun place to meet new people like many other hostels.

This is an older hotel - kind of like visiting your grandmother's home. Old, but has charm. The owner Rob is very helpful. Will pick you up at the airport and bring you back. He provides everything you need for breakfast. Everyone was friendly. I liked it there and this will be my stop-over whenever I'm in Jo'berg.

• 15th Aug 2015

Rob was wonderful! I arrived clueless about everything, and he helped me set my itinerary for Johannesburg and SA. I found him really caring: he took me to the train station, gave me clear directions for exploring the city, and lent me necessities. I was the only one in the dorm room, which I found cozy because of the comforter, despite the cool winter weather. Breakfast is basic carbs, the bathrooms are spotless, wi-fi is limited to 2 hrs in am and 3 hrs at night. Oh and this place is safe!! :)

A fantastic place! Really well located near the airport! The owner/manager went out of his way to help us out. Cannot recommend this place enough!

1 2 Next » last »