Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

Staff, is very helpful, close to airport so there great with pick up and drop off, bit far from town but an area where you can get around from. Can help with tours I did not need have family SA but still turned me on to few things they did not even know about.! I'm staying back there on my return flight SA. Breakfast over all good, nothing to complain about. Some complain about not 24-7 internet but is that what a hostel is all about..? 3G works great at there location..!

This hostel was very cozy, more like a house than a hostel. That was a nice touch because I was traveling alone. The staff was very nice and courteous, though I was sometimes confused as to who was staff and who was staying or living there. The location was very close to the airport as well as a hotel that does dinner service and only a few minutes walk from some shops/convenient stores.

I stayed at the hostel during a stopover in J'burg, and was met by the owner who was very nice and accommodating. Its a 5 minute drive from the airport and the owner kindly gave us a lift to the airport for free. There is a fantastic hotel opposite the hostel and its really good for food if you don't fancy cooking or going far and its a very good price. The rooms were comfortable and there's a nice living room to relax in.

Spacious beautifully maintained green property. Plus: tremendous thank you to owner Rob not only for ride to airport but for doing it twice to retrieve the winter coat I had left behind!

• 21st Dec 2014

The staff was rude and we didn't feel welcome at all. We felt like we were a nuisance more than guests. The property was very old and worn out, and dirty. The only good thing is that it's located close to airport. WIFI was available four hours a day - 2h in the morning, 2h in the evening.. pathetic! They should have mentioned that in the description! Breakfast consisted of white bread, cereal and milk....

Staff was very nice and helpful. The free airport pickup was great.

This is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for a hostel close to the airport or for a quick stopover. The owner was extremely helpful and understanding given my delayed flight.

Easy access to the airport. Great for a stop over but kinda creepy and ran down from the inside.

Rob, the owner, is extremely helpful and can provide information on almost any activity or excursion you may have planned for Jo'burg. As well free pickups and drop offs to the airport, Rob can also pick you up from the local train stations should you require. Thoroughly recommend.

• 30th Aug 2014

Owner is very friendly and helpful. He collects/brings you from/to the airport for free.

Rob was friendly and great in picking me up and dropping me back at the airport. The wendy house/ cabin that I stayed in was clean but in a poor condition, was drafty, and the furniture was as basic and old as one could get. There was mound on the bedroom ceiling and showers. Overall, very little effort was made to giving the guests more than the very basics required.

• 21st Aug 2014
  • South Africa

Good place to be near the airport with free transport from/to there. Rob is a gentile person.

The best thing with the place is the location for a quick and easy stopover in Joburg. Rob is quick and helpful with the pickup and dropoff. The facilities are ok with nice kitchen and tv, dorm bed and mattreses are caving in quite a bit and needs to be renewed. Wifi turned on between 08-10 and 19-22.

Convenient to airport. Rob picks you up from airport. A bit scruffy but ok for a night while waiting for transit.

• 13th Jul 2014

This place was dirty and gave me a bad vibe. The bunk beds are so unstable, and have no ladder so I was forced to step on the guy beneath me in order to get down. I wouldn't go in the showers, they were so gross. While it was nice to be close to the airport, I didn't sleep very well and didn't enjoy it.

Great place to stay near the airport. Comfortable, well heated and tidy. Free pick up and return to the airport by the lovely owner. Hassle free!

Traveling is making plans from your front doorstep till putting back your key in the door afterwards. The easy thing about the shoestrings airport lodge, you don't have to worry how to get to the hostel after a long flight, it's just a phone call away. They pick you up straight from the airport. Even if you didn't plan your trip in advanced the staff is friendly and will help you find interesting things or places to visit. No matter how you wish to stay (camping/dorm or private) it's great!!!

I totally dig Shoestrings. Rob, the owner/manager, is absolutely wonderful! Everytime I come to Johannesburg I stay at his lodge and I love it every time. It could perhaps be a bit cleaner and the beds could be a bit more comfortable, but I think that Rob's amazingness and willingness to help with anything just makes it completely worthwhile. I couldn't fathom staying anywhere in Johannesburg except for Shoestrings!

Rob, the man who runs the place, is something else. Always helpfull with everything, pick you up at the airport and also take you there when you should leave. However the place is really distant from the city center (around 25km), so be prepared to get a cab or rent a car to deslocate to the city. Good atmosphere, breakfast ok, but the room for 2 people is not very clean, the water is not always hot and we slept in a room which had no shower (just a bath).

Shoestrings is a great hostel for those who need to be close to the airport. Their free drop off / pick up was so helpful. Rob was very accommodating and willing to pick up and drop off whenever. The facilities were nice - not amazing, but a good comfortable place for backpackers to stay. Warm showers. Comfortable bed. Full kitchen. I'd definitely recommend Shoestrings and will stay there again the next time I pass through JoBurg.

View all Johannesburg Hostels