Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

I've never stayed at a hostel before so when I went in I was a little confused as to the "protocol." The owner was very polite, I felt very safe being a young woman in a foreign country but a little more explanation as to expectations during my stay would have been nice. Breakfast was supplied but dinner was not, I didnt stay during lunch hours so I can't comment on that but the beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and clean, and the view from the upstairs bedroom was wonderful.

• 8th Oct 2013

Like staying with an old friend.

• 29th Sep 2013

The host was great. Prompt free pick-up at the airport, and free return. The wifi is limited to no Skype or downloads and is off from 10 pm to 7 am.

• 21st Sep 2013

Free airport shuttle, friendly owner, hot shower and good breakfast for 17 USD only. Good value for money !!

• 20th Sep 2013

Rob was fantastic, a really nice person. The transfer service is great, the hostel is perfect if you are just passing given that close to the Airport! The hostel is nice and good atmosphere.

It was a nice and quite place very close to the airport. We got a free transfer from the airport to shoestrings and the next day a transfer to the trainstation, so that was very pleasant. We had a great room, double bed with private bath and toilet and that was really nice. The only thing was to get warm water for just one bath. So the second one needs to bath in cold water. But the beds were good and the breakfast (also included) perfect. Bread, milk and cornflakes, fruit.

• 12th Sep 2013

Rob is a great host! Pickup and drop off at the airport, breakfast and clean room - what more could you want!

Perfect for an overnight stop between flights due to close proximity to OR Tambo. Airport transfer was free. Friendly and helpful personnel!

Grsat place recommend highl

I felt immediately at home when I arrived and it was very pleasant to work and sit in the garden.

• 18th Aug 2013

Hey, we really loved this place. We were in quite a creepy hostel before that and now really really enjoyed the openness and friendliness of the staff, plus of course the cool people that hung out there. Jup, it's not 5stars, but who expects that in a hostel anyway? We had a 2bed room with a fabulous window front so that the sun shined in there and made it nice and warm. Loved sitting outside in the garden place. plus, perfectly situated next to the airport! I really recommend it.

• 12th Aug 2013

Convenient hostel close to the airport, if you only stay one night and are flying out the next day or just came in from a flight. Not ideal if you're staying longer in Joburg cause there isn't anything interesting in the neighbourhood.I was impressed by the room, one like you wouldn't find in many hotels! Breakfast basic but ok. The owner was very friendly and helped me out when the person who was supposed to pick me up for my tour didn't show up.One of the best hostels I stayed in so far!

This hostel is perfect if you are need a hostel close to the airport although I'm not sure it would be that good otherwise due to location. It is very suited to airport guests - there is free pick-up and drop-off at the airport which is perfect. We were picked up quickly and had a huge room and bathroom. There is also free tea and free breakfast and cooking facilities. There is no bar/served meals but there is a hotel with a restaurant one minute away which was good.

Had a great one night stay! Very convenient to the airport and the train station. Rob was an amazing host and we really appreciated all of his help!

Rob is a wonderful person who made our trip easy. Johannesburg is possibly one of my least favorite places on earth, so it was nice to meet some good people while we were there!

Rob helps with everything, great guy!

• 27th Jun 2013

Stayed here three different times. Rob is consistently cheerful and helpful with airport transfers (free!), getting to public transportation, advice about what to do and where to go, etc. You can literally see the tails of planes from this airport hostel. No bar or food (beyond free breakfast), but the Protea Hotel is just across the street for this. Very quiet and restful. There is always somebody to watch the news with in the living room, which has a fire on cold evenings.

Exactly as advertised - nice and simple, perfect for a layover in joburg as rob picks you up and drops you off at the terminal.

All is very good!!! Specially, staff is very kindful. But, wi-fi had a striction.

Relaxing atmosphere and helpful staff. Very close to the airport and available kitchen for cooking.

• 6th Jun 2013