Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

I was very happy with my stay at Shoestring. The airport is very close and Rob kindly offered free transport to and fro. Included breakfast was great. The only suggestions- screens on the windows or a fan in the room (I got lots of mosquito bites), a shower head on the bathtub in the private room. Everything else was great; I'd definitely be back. Thank you :)

Hostel located very close to the Airport and that's the main appeal of that hostel. Although it offers no frills, the Owner is a very nice person and did his best to accommodate me. If you budget is tight and you have an early flight, then you can definitely consider staying at this hostel. If you are thinking of visiting Johannesburg, then I would suggest you find another hostel more centrally located.

I stayed one night during my first visit to South Africa. Having airport transfer was terrific! Rob was very kind and accommodating. The facilities were nice and clean, and I felt very safe at this hostel. Thanks for a great stay!

• 15th Jan 2014

Rob the owner is a nice guy, near to the airport if that's what you need, Baz bus picks up here plus Kruger. Cheap food and bar at nearby hotel. Nothing to do at hostel and way out of city. Rob will pick you up from airport for free. No party hostel

i particularly loved the friendly and welcoming nature of the host Rob. thanks a lot. and i will be back .this is definately not the last you have seen of me.

• 10th Dec 2013
  • Kenya

the toilets needs to be regularlly cleaned and tissue must always be available especially in the night;

• 7th Dec 2013
  • Botswana

No shower in the room I stayed. Just a bath tub. Internet only available from 8 to 10am and 7 to 10pm. Not good.

Thanks Rob, you've always been a great host. I'll see you again! Highly recommended airport hostel when arriving or departing Johannesburg's airport. The Protea hotel next door does indeed serve great meals and is surprisingly inexpensive(great view of the airport too!).

Rob is a great host, he is always available to drive you to and from the airport. Rob has valuable knowledge that serves the traveller well, he's recommendation are suited to your needs. Perfect location to start or finish your trip!

I stayed there for one night and chose it due to the closeness to the airport. For that it was ok, but I paid for a single room and shared bathroom, and the bathroom was missing any possibility to shower. Rooms were clean but very run down. No water in the pool and the atmosphere was somewhat depressing. Good for strategic overnight stay, but nothing for longer/ to explore Joburg.

Very close to the airport, free and fast pick up, pretty useful. Thank you Rob for hosting myself, my brother and my father

We found out while there that Shoestrings is used by university groups, overlanders, airline pilots, independent travelers young and old. Its easy to see why-- because the family that runs this place is so helpful ! Got advice on routes to take to Kruger, shopping assistance, and priceless advice for our travels. After long flights its really great to have them meet you and bring you the Lodge, and back again after your safari or other touring is over. We will be back !

all was very good.

• 26th Oct 2013
  • Argentina

My stay at Shoestrings was great. Rob & his staff really go out of their way to help guests. Airport pickup was quite easy (assuming you are getting a SIM from Vodaphone at the airport of have coins to use the payphone). The Safari Rob helped me arrange was fanastic. I booked 4 days and upgraded to 5 days.Not much to do in the area of the hostel, but the Gautrain runs to downtown as well as Sandton and is a short distance away. I highly recommend Shoestrings. I booked 1 night and stayed 5.

I've never stayed at a hostel before so when I went in I was a little confused as to the "protocol." The owner was very polite, I felt very safe being a young woman in a foreign country but a little more explanation as to expectations during my stay would have been nice. Breakfast was supplied but dinner was not, I didnt stay during lunch hours so I can't comment on that but the beds were very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and clean, and the view from the upstairs bedroom was wonderful.

• 8th Oct 2013

Like staying with an old friend.

• 29th Sep 2013

The host was great. Prompt free pick-up at the airport, and free return. The wifi is limited to no Skype or downloads and is off from 10 pm to 7 am.

• 21st Sep 2013

Free airport shuttle, friendly owner, hot shower and good breakfast for 17 USD only. Good value for money !!

• 20th Sep 2013

Rob was fantastic, a really nice person. The transfer service is great, the hostel is perfect if you are just passing given that close to the Airport! The hostel is nice and good atmosphere.

It was a nice and quite place very close to the airport. We got a free transfer from the airport to shoestrings and the next day a transfer to the trainstation, so that was very pleasant. We had a great room, double bed with private bath and toilet and that was really nice. The only thing was to get warm water for just one bath. So the second one needs to bath in cold water. But the beds were good and the breakfast (also included) perfect. Bread, milk and cornflakes, fruit.

• 12th Sep 2013