Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

Rob is a super nice and the place is exactly what you need to stay close to the airport. The building is a huge house which was turned into a hostel. If you need a place next to the airport look no further.

The accommodation was exactly what I needed for a reasonable rate. Rob collected me and dropped me at the airport as I needed and even gave me a glass of complimentary red wine. I was very satisfied

• 27th Jan 2016
  • South Africa

This is an excellent hostel, so close to the airport. The room and bathrooms were clean, as were the sheets. It was very secure. There was very little noise, although it was so close to the airport. Rob was great, he picked me up from the airport and dropped me off at 5am! There is a hotel across the road which does good food at a reasonable price. It was very easy and safe to cross the road for this. I can highly recommend this hostel.

• 25th Jan 2016

Coming or going from Joberg airport? This is THE place to stay. Porprietor Rob picks you up with a welcoming smile that puts you at ease immediately. Inn is located mere moments from the airport but feels peaceful with lush grounds around and lots of public spaces to chill or mingle. I enjoyed a lovely soak in the private room bath and one of the most restful nights sleep of my road trip. Not a rowdy party house, just great value at an unbeatable location.

Really great, will be back soon!

Rob was really nice with us, we arrived late and had an early flight the next morning, but he managed to drop us a ride to the airport despite this tight schedule. He also was really kind to mail our postcards. I would definitely recommand him!

• 1st Jan 2016

The breakfast was very poor. It wasn't worth paying for. In the vicinity there is an excellent restaurant!

Very friendly host

We loved it here and would totally stay here again if ever we pass through JoBerg! They picked us up from the airport and dropped us off, and had a very casual and nice atmosphere. Lovely hostel.

My cousin and I had a very pleasant stay at Shoestrings, Rob could not have done more for us or been more welcoming. Our room was very comfortable and we were provided with a key so we felt our possessions were safe. There were also plenty of facilities and transport opportunities around the hostel so it was easy to explore Johannesburg and get everything we needed. Again Rob helped us with transport where he could. I would definitely stay here again.

• 15th Nov 2015

Wifi not working unfortunately Owner was great and dropped me off to the airport which was less than 10 minutes away. Interesting people passing through, nice relaxed atmosphere All doors etc left open but in such a safe sleepy area that it is fine Good for a quick stay before flying out of Joburg

Walked in and walked out within 10 minutes and booked a hotel down the street. We were in an 8 bed dorm and the door didnt even close, it was simply a metal barred door with a poster hung over it. Empty pool with mud in the bottom of it. Saggy thin mattresses with no sheets and brown stains on them. A random selection of dirty couches around the otherwise barren building, including old car benches. Wifi is available, but only during select hours of the day. But hey...atleast the airport's close.

Shoestrings is very close to the airport. It's also on the Guatrain bus line. You can get there from Rhodesfield station and the bus stop is 26 or 1 (the beginning and end of the route). They have free pick up from the TO Tambo airport as well. Their kitchen area is quite big as are areas to just sit and read and chill. It's perfect for a place to stay by the airport.

This is an average place, but close to the airport to arriving/departures with the hostel's transport service. OK and quiet if staying one night in transit. No choice for restaurants in the area, except at the hotel opposite.

There were sheets to cover the mattress but none for between blanket and oneself - this seems unusual for nowadays in hostels. Other than that it was just what I needed. Well run, welcoming and great value.

The owner was very nice and always willing to help. Free shuttle to/from airport was great. Not a party hostel, the pool was closed and you can only use internet under a certain times and no skype was allowed....

The owner was really friendly and always willing to hel. very vlose to the airport.

Location good if you only need a place to stay close to the airport. Friendly reception and airport pick up., ok kitchen and enough brekky for me.

Pros: airport shuttle, public transport nearby, very close to the airport. Cons: nothing around to see, no place to eat nearby

The best hostel to stay at! You don't just get a place to sleep, eat, cook food, but also socialize with people. There is an atmosphere of sitting together with people and sharing life! That is the best part of any travel experience!!

• 4th Sep 2015