Shoestrings Airport Lodge Reviews

85 Gladiator Street, Rhodesfield, Kempton Park 1619, Johannesburg, South Africa

Shoestrings is a great hostel for those who need to be close to the airport. Their free drop off / pick up was so helpful. Rob was very accommodating and willing to pick up and drop off whenever. The facilities were nice - not amazing, but a good comfortable place for backpackers to stay. Warm showers. Comfortable bed. Full kitchen. I'd definitely recommend Shoestrings and will stay there again the next time I pass through JoBurg.

Super pratique pour l'aéroport, je l'ai utilisé en revenant du cap avant de faire un safari et tout était parfait. Deux bémols: le wifi n'est pas accessible toute la journée et a part le petit dej généreusement offert il n'y pas de service de restauration pour le dej et le dîner.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Extremely convenient but definitely no frills. The owner will gladly pick you up from the airport which makes it the best choice if you're catching an early morning flight. But don't expect much to do or a whole lot of atmosphere. I stayed in a private room one night that wasn't too bad. But the next night was in a dorm and the "bed" was laughable. A two-inch mattress atop hard metal springs. The bed practically caved in! It'll make do for a night, but you'll be happy to move on.

• 30th Mar 2014

das ist ein altes abgewracktes Hostel, kaum noch bewohnbar, es soll naechstes Jahr abgerissen werden. Jedoch sehr nah am Flughafen, Shuttleservice gut und kostenfrei. Der Pool ist ohne Wasser, der Garten sehr ungepflegt.Die Fenster und Tueren sind nicht recht verschliessbar

The reception was excellent and were dropped at the airport terminal at 6 AM, which is very appreciated.

• 18th Mar 2014

Unkompliziert, freundlich, hilfsbereit, flughafennähe. Perfekt für einen kurzen Aufenthalt. Nur die Bettwäsche könnte besser riechen!

• 6th Mar 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed our stay at Shoestrings. The owner, Rob, is a great guy. He personally fetched us from, and returned us to the airport, and went out of his way to be helpful. Although his hostel is in dire need of renovation, it is kept clean and tidy - and breakfast is provided too. This is not a party place, but everyone we met was very friendly. And although very close to the airport, the sound of planes did not bother us.

We were disapointed with the facilities when we arrived at shoestrings. Although the hostel was set in a nice big house, the free wifi advertised was limited to just a couple of hours in the morning and evening and the big swimming pool was drained and was not ever used :-( The two things that helped us to decide to stay befire a long flight.

• 15th Feb 2014

The Owner is very nice and helpful. No credit cards. The owner offers free taxi transfer to the airport. It is clean but not very comfortable (old).... Ok for one night next to the airport for a cheap price incl. transfer...

Rob seems like a really nice guy, didn't get upset for me arriving at 11 pm. Recommended.

i miss rob

I was very happy with my stay at Shoestring. The airport is very close and Rob kindly offered free transport to and fro. Included breakfast was great. The only suggestions- screens on the windows or a fan in the room (I got lots of mosquito bites), a shower head on the bathtub in the private room. Everything else was great; I'd definitely be back. Thank you :)

Hostel located very close to the Airport and that's the main appeal of that hostel. Although it offers no frills, the Owner is a very nice person and did his best to accommodate me. If you budget is tight and you have an early flight, then you can definitely consider staying at this hostel. If you are thinking of visiting Johannesburg, then I would suggest you find another hostel more centrally located.

I stayed one night during my first visit to South Africa. Having airport transfer was terrific! Rob was very kind and accommodating. The facilities were nice and clean, and I felt very safe at this hostel. Thanks for a great stay!

• 15th Jan 2014

i particularly loved the friendly and welcoming nature of the host Rob. thanks a lot. and i will be back .this is definately not the last you have seen of me.

• 10th Dec 2013
  • Kenya

the toilets needs to be regularlly cleaned and tissue must always be available especially in the night;

• 7th Dec 2013
  • Botswana

No shower in the room I stayed. Just a bath tub. Internet only available from 8 to 10am and 7 to 10pm. Not good.

Très court séjour mais rien à redire. Service impeccable du propriétaire qui nous a ramené très tôt le matin à l'aéroport . Je n'ai pas de problème à le recommander.

Thanks Rob, you've always been a great host. I'll see you again! Highly recommended airport hostel when arriving or departing Johannesburg's airport. The Protea hotel next door does indeed serve great meals and is surprisingly inexpensive(great view of the airport too!).

Rob is a great host, he is always available to drive you to and from the airport. Rob has valuable knowledge that serves the traveller well, he's recommendation are suited to your needs. Perfect location to start or finish your trip!

View all Johannesburg Hostels