Shoestrings Backpackers Reviews

12 West Drive, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe

Great hostel with a lively atmosphere, including a small restaurant and a bar. The staff are very helpful in booking activities in Victoria Falls. There are also three adorable dogs that live there. It's a 25-minute walk or a $5 taxi to Victoria Falls and the Zambian border. My only complaints are that the hot water wasn't working and you have to pay a small charge for Internet, but these are to be expected from a hostel.

As a family group of 4 we booked a twin and a double private room. The double room was very hot (caught a lot of sun), the bathroom dirty (especially the blackened shower area), water irregular (getting caught covered in soap in the shower with no more water was not the best experience) and the mosquito net promised in all private rooms non existent - not great as the room was alive with mosquitoes. And when we raised this at reception, the staff really didn't want to help.

• 29th Oct 2015

Nice place, good location. Some of the dorm beds didn't have proper support, could feel the slats through the mattress which was too bad - but other than that okay place.

This hostel was the loudest most annoying hostel that I've ever stayed at. I didn't get a wink of sleep until 3 am... Thin ways and no quiet hours. Also, I thought the staff was a bit annoying and it was overpriced.

You get what u pay for. It's a nice place to stay. Nice atmosphere at evenings. Good food and good prices for Vic falls. Nice people I met as well

Good location, decent atmosphere every night. A bit run down though

so I only stayed at shoestrings for 1.5 weeks, but I was in Vic Falls staying at the orphanage for about 3 weeks and would visit shoestrings regularly. It's definitely the party place getting busy around 10, but everyone has to be out by midnight so guests aren't disturbed. The property is huge and I luckily got to know a lot of the guys who work the shops in back. I absolutely love this place and can't wait to return next year to visit old friends!

I really liked this place. I had 3 nights here and felt pretty attached to it when I left. I ended up splurging quite hard and did a bungee, a day trip to Chobe in Botswana, and a chopper ride. After trekking through all the shops on the main strip, you realise that the best deal is from the hostel itself! Save yourselves the pain, effort, and money, and just go with the hostel guys! All three trips were utterly amazing and 100% recommended... even had my own private safari in Bots! Thanks guys.

View all Victoria Falls Hostels