Sidsmums Travellers Retreat Reviews

11 Chemin de la Croix d'Achille, Preixan, Carcassonne, France

Do not be scared away because of the distance from the city! There is a bus (although a bit confusing at first) that goes to the city a few times a day. The property is so relaxing and with Peter and Tracy there it feels like a home away from home. Peter even came to pick me up from the city after I got lost and missed the bus. They even took many of us staying early to see the Tour de France and to see a free concert in the city. The market is at the end of the street (closed on Mondays)

Pretty fantastic. Hosts did an excellent job making me feel welcome, and offered their services regularly, whether it be a ride or a glass of wine. My only recommendation would be to get a better shower head, or at least de-calcify it. It felt like bathing in needles!

• 20th Jul 2014

Great host!!! I loved my entire stay in SIdsmums. Many thanks to Peter and Tracy!!!

• 18th Jul 2014
  • China

A wonderful and rejuvenating stay at Sidsmums. Tracy and Peter are extremely welcoming and immediately make all guests feel at ease and like they are staying in their home. They are very helpful with information about getting in and out of Carcassone either by bus, train or bike (which you can borrow for free!). The facilities are awesome! A very large and well-equiped kitchen makes cooking fun! There is a great common area perfect for meeting other travellers, reading or playing games.

• 10th Jul 2014

The Hostel is really good, it's far from Carcasone, so book a place there only if you go by car. The atmosphere was fine, but we got our food stolen from the fridge...

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed in and this is purely down to Tracy and Peter (who own it). I will be returning sometime in the future as I think I was looked after better by them than I am by my parents. The atmosphere created by their kindness and generosity means that this is the perfect place to meet other travellers, and every day I was there we all ended up sharing food and talking as if we'd known each other forever. Thank you!!

This is a great hostel. The atmosphere is very laid back and both Peter and Tracy are very friendly and accomodating. The location is great, just far enough away from Carcassonne to escape the tourists, but close enough not to be an inconvenience. This hostel felt like a home away from home and I recommend it to anyone staying in the area

• 3rd Jul 2014

The hostel is a little far from the city, but the place and the staff are amazing. I really enjoyed staying there

• 3rd Jul 2014

Such a great place to stay! It was the perfect place to just relax after all the stress and craziness that comes with traveling.

This hostel provides a village experience in Carcassonne. I cycled through grapevines and through small villages on a well marked route into La Cite and then back on the train. Fun. Helpful and friendly hosts who communicate well.

What an amazing stay!! The perfect balance between seeing a famous landmark and city and experiencing a French village. On advice from Tracy and Peter I wandered through the vineyards to the next town to enjoy a great dinner and amazing scenery along the way. The hostel itself is impeccably kept and charming and the hosts have thought of everything to make your stay comfortable! Great facilities to socialise with others in a relaxed environment if you want. Thanks again!!

• 15th Jun 2014

What a great hostel! You get a very nice taste of the region by staying there, nice yard with a lot of activities and free bikes for visiting the peaceful vineyards all around. The area is well deserved by 1euro buses, although bus stops are not well indicated, but the hosts, Tracy and Peter, are awesome and will help you out with everything! Its definitely the best hostel I've been ! Carcassonne is not far and it is also not very far from other nice villages that are worth a look

I spent 4 days in Sidsmums Travellers Retreat and it was amazing. The staff was adorable, the atmosphere was very peaceful, the landscape is gorgeous and the Retreat wa really clean. Yes, it can be hard to go to Carcassonne from Preixan but once you understand how the bus service work it's only 1 euro and it's not too far. Also if you stay more than one night you can have a pickup from Carcassonne to the Retreat for free. Thanks again Peter and Tracy to make me feel like home for 4 days.

• 5th Jun 2014

It's quite far away but ideal if you're looking for a retreat. Excellent place to read books for a few days. Staff is ever helpful and positive mood is present.

Best hostel I've ever stayed at! Peter and Tracey were awesome hosts!! I ended up staying an extra 3 days it was such a nice place to be. Would go back in a heart beat! -Tyler from Canada

Great place out in the country. The family that runs it is spectacularly nice. I stayed in the dorm in the main house, but it has single rooms and cottages as well. Borrow a bike for a cruise through the vineyards, or just lounge in the hammock, you can't go wrong. Do yourself a favor and stay here for a night or eight, you won't regret it.

Awesome time there... 100% recomended! Excellent hosts!

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. As there were few other guests while I was there it felt like having my own holiday villa. Although it is far from Carcassonne, arrangements can be made to be dropped off and picked up. The family who own the hostel - Peter, Tracy, Ben and Sarah - are very friendly and accommodating and just nice to chat with. If I was to go back to the area I'd definitely stay there again and I've already recommended it to other backpackers!

It was such a wonderful stay with Tracy, Peter and their dog Fergus.

• 7th Mar 2014