Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

The hostel it self was ok. People at the hostel where nice and lots of friendly travellers. They had a very poor wifi system that you only get 3 hours free and after that you must pay $5 for another 3 hours every time you run out. The staff are rude and lack the very basic of customer service. Had to have an argument with one of the staff who tried to charge me twice for a late arrival fee. And then proceeded to try lecture me on my ways of travel. Would never stay there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stood there 2 nights... considering how i hate hostels in big cities this one was quite okay... not to big, a hangout area where u can have some beers and talk to people...seemed to be quite secure too... price of 26NZD for a 12doorm seems decent... the basement room with the tiny window was a bit noise though, caus the window is towards the road and there is a strange deep sound going in the night...

Was the last dorm room that was left in akl. Paid a horrendous price 34$ for a four bed dorm. My top bunk had no ladder to climb up which made it very difficult to reach my bed. Staff was unfriendly and disorganised. Internet didnt work. Bathrooms are very dirty. Kitchen is way too small and poorly equipped. The people who stayed in the hostel were fun. Wouldnt recommdend this hostel.

• 4th Dec 2014

Overall a great hostel, clean and tidy, good kitchen and guest facilities. Fast wi-Fi , helpful staff and a hostel with a carpark.

• 23rd Nov 2014

Do yourself a favour and just do not stay here. Unless you have no expectations or standards. Rooms are disgusting, they stink, they're dingy, they are awfully messy with belongings everywhere. No room to even put your bag let alone lockers for them. People seem to stay there long term and do no tidy up after themselves. Bathrooms are like a dirty old school gym changing room. Soap and paper towels non existant. Man at reception unhelpful and have to wait around to be served. I could go on...

Not an enjoyable stay

• 19th Nov 2014

The hostel is very dirty. The bathroom at the below level is full of pees and all what is humanly possible to leave.

The biggest hole I've ever had to stay in in my entire life. A 50 dollar key deposit is the first thing you are greeted with in this sh.ithole. On top of this the internet is not free and you must pay something ridiculous like 30 dollars a week for it. This place is not backpacker friendly and you can forget about getting any sleep here because you won't. There is a cop station at the end of the block. The guy who runs this place is only interested in robbing of your hard earned money.

Staff were very rude and grumpy. Facilities good but no lockers in rooms. 10 minute walk into town. Ok value but there are better hostels closer to the centre with much more helpful and friendly staff for the same price.

• 14th Nov 2014

Reception unhelpful at best, make no effort to make you feel welcome, give you the bare minimum in information. Lacks friendly environment/atmosphere like most other hostels I've been to. The rooms are cramped, feel unclean. And of course, worst of all....my bed had bedbugs. Unfortunately I didn't notice until the day I checked out, but one was crawling over the sheets and I realized I had bites all over my body. When I notified reception, no effort at reimbursement was made. Wifi rarely works.

• 13th Nov 2014

The manager claims Hostelworld keeps 100% of the money paid as a deposit on the room as a fee for reserving through the website and then charges the full cost of the stay upon arrival. Swindling backpackers out of their hard earned cash is despicable. All facilities including the office are closed between 10pm-7am which means if you're leaving outside of those hours, in order to collect your $50 key deposit you must write your visa details on a piece of paper and slide it under the office door

• 3rd Nov 2014

Stayed here for sometime, nice hostel in good location. Lots of long term backpackers ,so you make friends quickly,

• 27th Oct 2014

I usually never write reviews, in fact this is my first ever review of everything. But on this occasion I have to leave a review and tell everyone who is reading this, TO STAY AWAY FROM SILVERFERN! Staff are not helpful (manager was the rudest man I have ever dealt with, you ask him for help and he will just roll his eyes like he can't be bothered to help, the way he speaks to you is demeaning, charges $10 for a piece of paper for proof of address), free internet (you only get 40mb) Dont go here

• 24th Oct 2014

Just any other hostel. NO BREAKFAST anymore (although on hostelword's website, it states there is...). If you just want a bed and don't pay too much in Auckland, this is just fine, but expect nothing more.

This is what it says "Our free breakfast is served from 8am to 9am (During winter June to September)." .Please read more carefully next time.

Wifi was constantly kicking me out or I would not be able to log in. Connection was not good accept in one area of my room and hardly anywhere in the building. Travelers need good connection to stay in contact with family/friends. Good connections is all we ask for at hostels.

• 14th Oct 2014

I haven't seen any breakfast. And the free internet was 30mg. Reseption has crazy trading hours.

• 9th Oct 2014

Breakfast is available free during winter.Customers get 3 hours of free wi-fi on check in, weekly guests gets 7 days unlimited downloads.with fibre cable.

We had a great stay and the double room was just what we needed after our flight from north America. We liked it so much we are staying again before we fly out.

The best hostel i've stayed in - really good facilities including kitchen and common room area. Wifi was quality and the bathrooms were very very good

Over all a good place. Good: if you have a car or plan to rent one they have parking $8per day or $20 for 3 days or $40 for a week. (This is the cheapest parking in the city for sure). Bad: the free internet is not free, you get 40mb per day which is maybe 20min. And that's if the internet is working, then you have to pay.

• 25th Sep 2014

One of the best hostels I have visited in NZ.

• 21st Sep 2014