Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Good secure hostel, happy staff and good amenities.

• 22nd Mar 2015

This is maybe the worst backpacker hostel I ever been too. Positive: Have it´s own kitchen, okay room for sosialising, okay shower and toilet facilities. Negative: Crowded room (6 persons room i stayed in), no system of wich bed is yours, not very clean room, many of the people living there sleeps in different beds, cold water in shower the day I arrived, loud people screaming and shouting all night and morning, internet was down half my stay. Maybe I am just a little to old for this!

Great as a last minute accommodation option as everywhere else was booked, relatively cheap, and it had the basics, however: - hardly any wall pugs in the room - Dodgy fan with dodgy cord - Disgusting room, very messy - Poor greeting on arrival, a smile and welcome would be great (and also a nice way to feel welcome and safe). - Showers/bathrooms had no rubber mats, water everywhere, went cold, annoying 30sec button, - $50 key deposit is over the top and unusual. - Did not feel safe.

• 13th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

You don´t feel very welcome if you arrive the silver fern hostel. Perhaps it was because I was too early for check-in. I met a very bored staff member at the reception who even didn´t look up to me when I arrived but continued reading his book. After I introduced myself he answered very shortly that check-in is at 11 am. I was suprised that he agreed to store my luggage. But when I asked for the free WIFI which is promised at the homepage he told me that I´ll get the PIN for that at 11 am but...

• 1st Mar 2015

Way overpriced. Staff is not friendly. Washroom didn't even lock.

It is a shame how expensive is for what you get. Every morning we got to look for a bowl or a mug, people in the backpacker are so unrespectful with the others. There is only one light switcher in each room, no space for your stuffs. AND THEY LIE--> They say on internet FREE BREAKFAST it is just tea bags and instant discount coffee ! The staff is very rude, and last but not least, they ask you to pay if you want to leave your luggages for the day, even if you stayed there for a few days !!!

• 17th Feb 2015

Didn't Like the place much, had decent people in it but the owner seemed hardly interested in his guests. Signs around telling you you'll be fined for doing x,y or z. Proof of address? 10 dollars please. Stash your bags here for a few hours? 4 dollars. Wait in the hostel until your flight leaves? pay the day rate. All/Most entertainment facilities are off limits after 10. 50$ key deposit on top of it all. Facilities are fine for hostel standards. Staff was pretty pleasant, as the guests

• 17th Feb 2015

We stayed here just one night. Booked room for 2 ppl in 4 bed shared room but got separated into 2 rooms with 4 ppl. Reception was either empty (lady was cleaning hostel facilities) or queued with waiting backpackers. Hostel was dirty and ugly, located in loud area so forget about good sleep. I was sleeping on upper twin bed and didnt have stairs to my bed, so I had to climb through my neighbours bed. This hostel should not hold the name of NZ national symbol - silverfern. Sorry :(

I decided not to stay the minute I walked into the room.

Room was extremely hot and messy cause of some live ins. Not enough power points in the room. Area is a bit dodgy.

Great little hostel with nice guests and staff. Safe

• 11th Feb 2015
  • Poland

Kitchen's dirty, not friendly staff. We stayed for 2nights and when we wanted to book for one more night, they charge us an extra 10nzd, because that's the price for staying just one night. The thing is we stayed 3. I've should have read the comments before booking here, they are right. Auckland is not that big, any other choices are better than this.

So disgusting, there were flies everywhere but especially in the kitchen. Dirty kitchen in general. No toiletpaper, soap etc. Really smelly commonroom. Slept in dorm with a 62-year old alcoholic homeless man. Not recommended for backpackers who plan to meet other backpackers in Auckland.

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Denmark

Stayed in a 12 bed dorm and it was absolutely boiling, one tiny wall fan for 12 people was ridiculous. Staff weren't particularly friendly especially the man on front desk. Not a bad location, 5 min walk onto queen street. Lots of other better hostels to stay in Auckland

Need your earplugs for this one is you want to get any sleep. Start of the motorway is very close so there is endless traffic for about 20 hours/day and the guests party into the early hours with no consideration for others.

Decent hostel for what you pay. Location is good if you'll be walking around downtown or to nearby sites; easy walk down the hill to Britomart. Lots of long term people who have their own cliche going. Be prepared to have to elbow your way through the mass of smokers to get in or out of the hostel. Bathrooms and kitchen are kept clean and the kitchen has all the basics for making a meal. A little noisy, but to be expected of a backpackers.

Fun hostel to be in. Plenty of good vibes here.

• 22nd Dec 2014
  • Denmark

Good place to start of your travels in New Zealand. Manager is very knowledgeable about N.Z. Hostel is fairly central to most things, only short walk to bus terminal Bathrooms and bedrooms were clean, other guests very nice.

• 21st Dec 2014

The hostel it self was ok. People at the hostel where nice and lots of friendly travellers. They had a very poor wifi system that you only get 3 hours free and after that you must pay $5 for another 3 hours every time you run out. The staff are rude and lack the very basic of customer service. Had to have an argument with one of the staff who tried to charge me twice for a late arrival fee. And then proceeded to try lecture me on my ways of travel. Would never stay there again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stood there 2 nights... considering how i hate hostels in big cities this one was quite okay... not to big, a hangout area where u can have some beers and talk to people...seemed to be quite secure too... price of 26NZD for a 12doorm seems decent... the basement room with the tiny window was a bit noise though, caus the window is towards the road and there is a strange deep sound going in the night...