Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Just any other hostel. NO BREAKFAST anymore (although on hostelword's website, it states there is...). If you just want a bed and don't pay too much in Auckland, this is just fine, but expect nothing more.

This is what it says "Our free breakfast is served from 8am to 9am (During winter June to September)." .Please read more carefully next time.

Wifi was constantly kicking me out or I would not be able to log in. Connection was not good accept in one area of my room and hardly anywhere in the building. Travelers need good connection to stay in contact with family/friends. Good connections is all we ask for at hostels.

• 14th Oct 2014

I haven't seen any breakfast. And the free internet was 30mg. Reseption has crazy trading hours.

• 9th Oct 2014

Breakfast is available free during winter.Customers get 3 hours of free wi-fi on check in, weekly guests gets 7 days unlimited downloads.with fibre cable.

We had a great stay and the double room was just what we needed after our flight from north America. We liked it so much we are staying again before we fly out.

The best hostel i've stayed in - really good facilities including kitchen and common room area. Wifi was quality and the bathrooms were very very good

Over all a good place. Good: if you have a car or plan to rent one they have parking $8per day or $20 for 3 days or $40 for a week. (This is the cheapest parking in the city for sure). Bad: the free internet is not free, you get 40mb per day which is maybe 20min. And that's if the internet is working, then you have to pay.

• 25th Sep 2014

One of the best hostels I have visited in NZ.

• 21st Sep 2014
  • Poland

I stayed in a large dorm it was good value for money and well cleaned. The bathroom was tidy and spacious , one of the best I have seen in New Zealand. Staff were helpful and kind. Location was central to all ones needs and the hostel is easy to get to from the airport. Free Wi-Fi was reasonably fast.

• 18th Sep 2014

As I was putting the sheets on the bed I was assigned a man came up to me, he had red bite marks all over his face and body. He told me that he received the bites in the night while sleeping on the bed that I had just been assigned. The hostel had given him 1GB internet data as compensation. I went down to reception and asked why they had given me a bed that they knew had bed bugs!? They told me that if I didn't want to sleep in that bed I would have to pay extra. Disappointing.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Its a pity you didn't get your facts straight, 1000's of others have slept on the same bed and not been bitten. The person had 2 spots on his nose which were zits. Staff checked the mattress and nothing was found, no extra Wi-Fi was given out. Please provide evidence next time and not just hearsay.

I stayed one night in the women staff room so it was not as quite as I expected but not to bad. There is no place to store your lockage in the room. Th staff members were very nice, they just forgot to mentionned the breakfast so don't forget to ask. Otherwise the hostel is very clean and well located.

Beware if you are only staying one night - Silverfern Backpackers tack on a shady $10 extra outside of the Hostelworld fee. The hostel itself is grimy and noisy. Location isn't too bad although it's just up the road from a drug rehab so expect a lot of meth addicts strolling by at all hours

• 7th Sep 2014

Simon you were kicked out of the hostel because you were found stealing other peoples food from the fridges in the kitchen. We don't tolerate that behaviour. All the terms and conditions are found in the policy section on our web page , you had every opportunity to read that. There is no drug rehab in Central Auckland, another of your lies, our hostel is clean and tidy same as the bedroom you were in. Other hostels in Auckland have been informed about your behaviour

Large dorm was clean and tidy, staff were helpful, cheap and good location.

• 30th Aug 2014

Thanks for your comments, we hope to see you again one day.

Guys they will charge you more, dont book this place! The manager is really rude and wouldnt give me my deposit back.

A very nice hostel. Kind staff and clean bedrooms. Good facilities in hostel and good location away from noisy bars.

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Thanks for taking the time to comment, enjoy your travels.

I've never had any concerns, but this one.The room was filthy,smelly.I slept several times in a 10 beds' bedrooms and they weren't like this. The toilet was ok. It seemed that It's been ages that they didn't clean the rooms because u could notice through the things on the ground, for example, they fold the bed linen and wrap a type of elastic to keep it together.There were heaps of this elastics on the floor.Ah!! the smell is

Our rooms are cleaned every day as you know, we can't help how guests smell, we have large windows which you can always open.

It wasn't the most clean hostel and it wasn't very cozy.

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

You choose the largest dorm and you had a room just to your selves which was spotlessly clean. It may not of been cozy because it was not full, We have a lot of cozy areas in the hostel where you can read a book or play on your computer or Ipad.

The hostel has everything you would need, good location, nice staff and good value for money.

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Thanks for your comments, hope you will be back one day.

The two main fators for us staying at your Hostel (for the second time now) is the central location that gives easy access to town on foot. As well as the parking right in front of the Hostle which seemingly does not come wich many other Hostels in Auckland. It was a little inconvenient that the reciept machine was broken throughout our stay (4 nights) but we hope to get around this when re-imbursing our employer.

• 4th Jul 2014

Thanks for the comments, if you still need a receipt we can email you one.

I had a good time here, good facilities, nice to have a bedroom with windows. Avoid the hostels in Auckland which don't as the rooms stink.

• 21st Jun 2014

Thanks for taking time to add a comment, I agree it is a shame that a lot of Auckland hostels don't have windows,(in most countries it would be illegal, as it encourages mould and bed bugs). Hope to see you back again.

Hostel was good value for money, good staff and clean.

• 11th Jun 2014

Thanks for booking with us, we hope to see you soon.