Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

DO NOT STAY HERE. Dirty and smelly everywhere in all rooms! The stoves didn´t work in the kitchen and flies everywhere. Expensive wifi. A bit from town, no athmosphere, had to wait 2h to check in. In general we didin´t wanted to be in the hostel at all during our stay in Auckland which made our visit in Auckland worse than it should have. People and staff left the room doors open, hot romms with no ventilation, no soap in the ladies bathroom, and toilets without paper.

DON'T GO THERE ! Welcome to Nightmare Hostel. If you're looking for a safe, nice, clean and welcoming hostel, you're definitely at the wrong place. You have to PAY for : Internet?! (wtf!), a MUG (WTF?!), Lockers (!?), your Proof of Residence! Key Deposit is 50$ (wtf?!). Kitchen is Hell's Kitchen : people are stealing from each other, it's very oily and dirty and nobody washes anything. Bathroom : you get out of there more dirty then clean. Rooms : Stinky, dirty, chaotic, 12 people..

When I called that I would arrive late due to my flight coming in late, the owner told me this was not his problem and that check in is till 10.30pm and that this is part of the booking agreements. Since all other hostels were full I had to spent my night on the street. I checked the info page of hostelworld and it doesn't state anything about late check ins. however no refund was given. Worst experience with a hostel ever.

• 20th Nov 2015

It says in 3 places on our site Reception hours, 7am to 10.30pm, look under Facilities, Map & Directions , Things to Note. You said you would arrive at 10pm not 2am in the morning. Please name a business in Holland which is going to open up for you, because you arrive 4 hours late.

Homely hostel with friendly guests and nice atmosphere, probably because it isn't too big. Lots of common room areas. Not the most spotless or flashiest place I've stayed in but it did the job. Shame the prices were hiked up because it was a weekend when there were lots of events on in Auckland, otherwise probably would have been okay value.

Welcome to the Silver Fern where the flies welcome you into the kitchen don't disturb them and you will all co exist very peacefully, upon entering your room your beds double as a advanced gymnasium apparatus that even the iconic Nadia ( the perfect 10 Olympic champion) would struggle to mount and dismount, also beware of the fact that it's one rule for one lot of guests and another for others regarding drinking inside the building. Also drugs are used at this hostel beware.

• 16th Nov 2015

The bathroom was clean and the location was good. These are the only good things I can say about the hostel though. They want money for everything, you don't even find a cup in the kitchen as they want you to buy one or they charge you for a letter of residency which you get for free in most of the other hostels in the city. It's a party hostel and the social area was always dirty and smelly from the night before.

Its an ok sort of hostel, good place to meet nice people. Hostel is clean ,good location.

• 12th Nov 2015

Dirty and they try to charge you for everything even storage.

• 9th Nov 2015

Categorically the worst hostel in Auckland. I have stayed in almost every hostel and this money grabbing and rude company is incomparable to even the bad hostels in Auckland. The pillow was filth and I have slept on potatoes with more spring and cushion. staff were miserable and quite frankly uninterested. Wifi came at a cost? In this day and age wifi is a basic human right. 2 plug sockets in a room of 8 people, what are you thinking? next time I'll take the homeless shelter down the road...

• 8th Nov 2015

A very popular hostel it seems, every night full, very clean bedroom, bathrooms were well maintained. Staff were helpful and I was able to check in at 11am. Everyone was very nice and you can see why longtermers are attracted to the hostel with it's cheap weekly rates.

• 1st Nov 2015
  • Wales

If you have a chance to book other places don't go here or the boss asks you money also when you breath too much

• 25th Oct 2015

This hostel tries to get money out of you at every corner.The $50 key deposit is totally unnecessary and I have never experienced such a high rate before.You must pay to have your luggage stored in thier store room.You must pay for a cup so you can have a cup of tea. It is full of long termers which means the rooms are dominated by thier possessions leading to the rooms not been kept clean.The bedding is the worst i have seen.The pillow you wouldn't even give to an animal. Not backpacker friendl

• 25th Oct 2015

Staff was rude and unwelcoming. The place was an absolute disaster when we walked in. We had to wait 3 hours to check in and another 3 hours on top of that to receive a pillow and clean sheets..Was not very impressed especially after a 14 hour flight to New Zealand. 8$ daily wifi and a 50$ key deposit is quite excessive as well! and to top things off our room was located right outside the lounging area was screaming, partying and doing lines till 7am and coming into our room turning on the light

• 23rd Oct 2015

This wasn't a bad hostel, but I wouldn't stay here again. It's the kind of hostel where you have to make your own bed.. The room smelt quite bad and the beds were quite packed in in the 12 person dorm. The social area was always busy, though I never used it as it was mainly people getting drunk. People were friendly and said hello in corridors and stuff but I didn't really speak to anyone in my room. It was also quite noisy at night but this didn't bother me too much.

Way too many rules, fines for every little thing. It feels a bit like the hostel is trying to make as much money as possible, compromising on the comfort of guests.

- Kitchen dirty and poorly organized, missing vital equipment. Guests not held to a high standard by staff. Remind guests to be considerate AND TIDY. - Bathroom quite dirty. Showers worst, especially after partying guests got too drunk and had to wash off in the showers. - My bag was got into while I was out of the room. - Roommates dealing weed in the room. WHY. - Guests drunk in the halls, very raucous and rude. - Room VERY smelly and dirty. Require guests to wash their laundry!

This is a cheap backpacker (on the paper but not really) and you understand why when you arrive. After have spent $50 for the key deposit, you can talk with the cockroaches on the kitchen (take a look just above the garbage, near to the food) or cook with very damaged kitchen ustensils. But it doesn't matter, you can take a cafe to relax you. After have bought your own mug (yes, and the reason is very ridiculous). Wifi is not free, and bathrooms are dirty, smelling like mushrooms. RUN !

• 22nd Oct 2015

Stayed for 6 nights. It was loud and messy, food scrabs on the floor... The staff is friendly. The are is good, pretty central. At the last day I've waited at the reception for about 30 minutes to get my key deposit back but even though I rang the bell a hundred times and ran around searching for someone who could help, nobody came. I've nearly missed my bus and I hope I'll get my 50 Dollars back. Then I'll rate better. I called the manager but he just hung up after a minute

Was an extremely clicky English crowd that was staying there. Not a very friendly atmosphere. Had to pay for wifi and parking was not very easy to find. $50 key deposit is a little bit hefty as well.

Guy at the reception was unfriendly. My expectations are not high. But it was disgusting. The room and bathrooms were so dirty and smelly. At least the atmosphere was nice.