Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by very unfriendly and helpful staff. Rooms were of an average standard. We were given a room with an 'ensuite' which was actually the disabled toilet. Overall, I'm happy we only stayed 2 nights here due to an early flight. I would not recommend this hostel to other travellers if others are available. The atmosphere consisted of people watching the TV at the highest volume and shouting in the corridor. Not exactly welcoming.

The staff was not very welcoming or friendly in their replies to questions. Then it was very unexpected that we had to pay for the parking as nowhere on the website I could read anything about it. It was very loud and the no-noise-policy after 10pm was not followed at all, also the night guard joined the guests in smoking/singing at the front door at 4am, I think he would have been responsible for telling the guests to be quiet and talk/smoke somewhere else.

• 16th Nov 2013

Only bad thing that comes to mind is that they said they have breakfast for free till October, and that wasn't true. But everything else was alright though.

• 27th Oct 2013

Thanks for your comments, Free Breakfast is June to October , this means it ends at the start of October. Same if you work 9 to 5 in a job, doesn't mean you work past 5pm.

Excellent Hostel, I had a nice room with opening windows, the hostel was very clean and nice lounges. Location is ok ,very close to Sky Tower and super markets.

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for staying with us.

Probably the worst hostel I've stayed at in Auckland. Rooms were a mess and the other residents had their belongings spread out EVERYWHERE. Sheets weren't very clean at all...had hairs on them. Bathrooms were also not very clean, and there weren't very many bathroom facilities on the first floor. Random sink in the hallway. Small kitchen. Ridiculous $50 key deposit...does it really cost that much for a key? $25 I understand, but who carries around $50 in cash just for the key deposit?

Silverfern is a hostel not a 5 star hotel, we can't go around telling our guests to be super tidy because you are staying in the room. Kitchen is large compared to most hostel kitchens. Most people have $50 deposit for a key, only drunks and bums don't carry around that much money.

Was dissapointed to not be sharing a room with my partner as we did book together and expect to be in the same dorm, however we did book very last minute and wad lucky to find somewhere with beyonce being in town!

Sorry we couldn't put you in same room, but it was very busy.

Just an average budget hostel. Not too much really to say about it really. The poor receptionist looked exhausted, I checked in 7pm and checked out at 7:30am the next day and she was still there! You're provisioned with a pillow and a sheet when you check in, I woke up a twice times in the night shivering as the sheet was only very thin. The plus was that I had a power socket next to me! TBH, I would much rather pay the extra $3 per night and stay elsewhere. I dislike the $50 deposit on check in

Free blankets are available at reception, large signs on the front desk indicate this.

1 2 Next » last »