Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by very unfriendly and helpful staff. Rooms were of an average standard. We were given a room with an 'ensuite' which was actually the disabled toilet. Overall, I'm happy we only stayed 2 nights here due to an early flight. I would not recommend this hostel to other travellers if others are available. The atmosphere consisted of people watching the TV at the highest volume and shouting in the corridor. Not exactly welcoming.

The staff was not very welcoming or friendly in their replies to questions. Then it was very unexpected that we had to pay for the parking as nowhere on the website I could read anything about it. It was very loud and the no-noise-policy after 10pm was not followed at all, also the night guard joined the guests in smoking/singing at the front door at 4am, I think he would have been responsible for telling the guests to be quiet and talk/smoke somewhere else.

• 16th Nov 2013

Only bad thing that comes to mind is that they said they have breakfast for free till October, and that wasn't true. But everything else was alright though.

• 27th Oct 2013

Thanks for your comments, Free Breakfast is June to October , this means it ends at the start of October. Same if you work 9 to 5 in a job, doesn't mean you work past 5pm.

Excellent Hostel, I had a nice room with opening windows, the hostel was very clean and nice lounges. Location is ok ,very close to Sky Tower and super markets.

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for staying with us.

Probably the worst hostel I've stayed at in Auckland. Rooms were a mess and the other residents had their belongings spread out EVERYWHERE. Sheets weren't very clean at all...had hairs on them. Bathrooms were also not very clean, and there weren't very many bathroom facilities on the first floor. Random sink in the hallway. Small kitchen. Ridiculous $50 key deposit...does it really cost that much for a key? $25 I understand, but who carries around $50 in cash just for the key deposit?

Silverfern is a hostel not a 5 star hotel, we can't go around telling our guests to be super tidy because you are staying in the room. Kitchen is large compared to most hostel kitchens. Most people have $50 deposit for a key, only drunks and bums don't carry around that much money.

Was dissapointed to not be sharing a room with my partner as we did book together and expect to be in the same dorm, however we did book very last minute and wad lucky to find somewhere with beyonce being in town!

Sorry we couldn't put you in same room, but it was very busy.

Just an average budget hostel. Not too much really to say about it really. The poor receptionist looked exhausted, I checked in 7pm and checked out at 7:30am the next day and she was still there! You're provisioned with a pillow and a sheet when you check in, I woke up a twice times in the night shivering as the sheet was only very thin. The plus was that I had a power socket next to me! TBH, I would much rather pay the extra $3 per night and stay elsewhere. I dislike the $50 deposit on check in

Free blankets are available at reception, large signs on the front desk indicate this.

It was silly that the basement sitting room wasn't useful - it was busy upstairs so we wanted to sit down there to find out the Internet didn't reach that far AND that a group had reserved the room. Disappointed. Also, the 'included' Internet is limited amounts....should advertise this.

• 11th Oct 2013

After reading through some other reviews i was hesitant to leave a review after reading the responses of the management...... a clear indication of what the staff on site are like. Upon needing a proof of address letter for other purposes they tried to charge us $10 and were particularly rude about it (next hostel did it free of charge and with a smile) Atmosphere very poor. staff un helpful and rude.

• 6th Oct 2013
  • Scotland

Our hostel is here to provide accommodation and not letters to banks, since you are not a real resident of the hostel (28 days) you get charged for this service. Our staff are very helpful, atmosphere is very good or we wouldn't have so many long-term guests.

I spend a good day!

Thanks, we hope to see you again.

We arrived in the rain and my only pair of shoes were soaked through, only to find that the hostel had given our beds away.. a solid 0/5 recommendation there. The receptionist was also pretty unhelpful and her english wasn't great.

In future you should book further in advance when a major rugby game is playing in Auckland, sorry you couldn't stay with us. Next time arrive on time.

This hostel was a really huge deception. Not a particularly nice staff, gloomy atmosphere, old furniture, the toilets and bathrooms were really really not clean, and a very few of them compared to the number of people. A very small kitchen were you can barely sit given the number of people... Really a place where I wouldn't recommend staying if you want to enjoy a nice in Auckland. Really the worst hostel in our one month long trip.

You can't be writing about Silverfern as we have a very large kitchen and plenty of seating, you can see that very clearly in the photos, the bathrooms are clean, and we have new furniture, perhaps you think 2 year old furniture is old? , gloomy atmostphere ? , funny since the hostel was full and lots of parties with the All Blacks, where were you?

One of the best hostels we have stayed at, Tv in our room was great and the staff were helpful. Good standard of bathrooms and huge kitchen.

• 5th Jul 2013
  • Spain

The Backpaper is allright but the manager is sooooo greeedy about money . the hostel has a big potential but with the manager everything is going down

• 2nd Jul 2013

Sorry Christophe, you are the one who is Greedy, you paid for a 10 bed dorm at $21, from that we pay $2.1 to Hostelworld, we then pay 15% to NZ Gov for GST, leaves $16 less cost of washing sheets, less breakfast, less free Wi-Fi, less hot water etc. Not a lot of money!, perhaps you should grow up.

Very Nice Hostel, clean & comfortable.

• 14th Jun 2013
  • South Korea

Beds are comfy and rooms nice. The owner must be making a mint on the Internet though... ridiculously expensive in comparison to other places. Washing facilities really great and mostly clean. Think kitchen may have given me good poisoning but is mostly ok. Staff not really great, brusque and difficult to get their attention, waited for quite a while at reception a couple of times. And they do make you pay more for later nights... but you don't change rooms. SO STRANGE!

The Hostel looks nice. The Staff is great the receptionist helps a lot and look after the guests. The Hostel is nice for just a couple of nights, if you looking for a good place and good location is not the the place!

just my room was very cold and the room just smell like weed all the time. the staff always un happy and the two girls overseas who were working there had very poor english skills, they were always in kitchen ganging out with their friends most of the time,

What rubbish, staff are always happy, you stayed an extra 6 nights, so you must of enjoyed the hostel. Our Staff make guests their friends in our hostel, so they will stop and chat with them. Your English is terrible and you say you are English?

had a Great time, Really nice people. the kichen and the commonroom are nice to chill out. The room was good. Nothing special. You need to walk about 10 minutes to be in the city center.

I had a great time in Silverfern during my stay in Auckland. The staff was Amazing, kitchen and bathrooms spotless, dispite it can get very busy and there's a huge turn-over of people, there are heaps of common areas where to chill out and socialize,.