Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

Nice and seemingly new Hostel in Auckland CBD, approx give minutes to Skycity. Facilities are good and clean. Bad things: completely unfriendly and unmotivated staff, charge for lockers, charge for luggage storage and 50$ key Deposit. No free breakfast as advertised and free wifi only for 30 minutes per day.

Breakfast is only free during winter months as advertised, stay a week and you get 1GB of wifi. Staff are very motivated which is why the hostel is so busy and clean. We have many guests who have stayed longer than a year, if staff were unfriendly they wouldn't stay that long. Perhaps you should try being more sociable yourself.

ALL THE ABOVE AVERAGES WERE JUST TO SEND THIS TO YOU. THEY DO NOT APPLY. I just put them in so that this could be sent. I did not stay here in the end as I had a place closer to my event in Auckland and also had a medical emergency. They were kind enough to only charge me the one night with a three night reservation. Can not really comment on above as I have never seen the place.

• 1st Mar 2014

The hostel was quite shabby and overpriced, which showed everywhere: compulsory payment for 3 nights minimum (even if you'd only stay for 2 nights), 50 dollar key deposit, safety lockers only available on extra payment... in Auckland, there are much better options available at the same rate.

If there were better options why did you stay here, since you only wanted 2 nights? you know this is one of the best quality hostels in Auckland.

Was a very busy weekend in Auckland (everywhere else was fully booked) but this hostel still managed to overbook beds. Pretty annoying when people get into the room at 2am and 4am and find someone is in their bed.

Sorry you couldn't find your bed, the room wasn't over booked there was an empty bed in the room for you. Next time leave some personal belongings on the bed then other guests won't think it is empty.

We slept there 2 times. The first time (2 nights) was OK basically... BUT well, we had such a bad night the day we left with noises, doors banging and so on untill we left at 3o'clock am ... because our room was close to the kitchen... and normally after 10pm it was supposed to be closed BUT it was not... and asking for silence or peace we were talked to rudely !!! And in fact we left earlier than expected because of that !

lots of space in the hostel though kitchen work was being done and no attempt to cover any food, plus not sure why they the $50 key deposit, or charge for storing your luggage

No need to cover food, when there is no dust. You get charged for luggage storage at airports, bus stations, train stations why not hostels? Most hostels in city centres charge for this service if you want it leave it in a safe place.

Free wifi for 30 minutes a day and a decent location. The rooms were well maintained and I met some nice people.

Thanks for your comments

The staff were polite but not necessarily friendly. They didn't seem eager to help me out, gave me vague directions and sent me away. And really when I'd just come from a 26 hour journey and was quite tired the lack of the ol' faithful kiwi hospitality was very noticeable.

• 12th Feb 2014

A good hostel in a central location, I booked a night then ended up staying many weeks. The hostel has one of the best weekly rates in Auckland, with plenty of free wifi. Cheers to the staff.

• 27th Jan 2014
  • Gibraltar

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm with all the people who we're working at the hostel. It was a smelly room in the basement and of course the cheapest one. The bed didn't have any ladder so had to get a chair to climb up. Showers didn't get hot water. The hostel is located uphill from city centre not a nice walk with backpack, if you travel by bus.

Hostel is in a very central location near the Intercity Bus Terminal, the hostel is very clean and the there was plenty of space in the bedrooms. Kitchen , bathrooms and recreational facilities were of a high standard. Good place to stay if you visit Auckland.

• 21st Jan 2014

This hotel is really horrible. The girl who checked me in was unbelievably unhelpful and it seems like the stingy owner would just love to take your FIFTY DOLLAR key deposit. Only stay in this hostel if your desperate, it is profoundly depressing. The beds are uncomfortable and if you are five minutes late for check out they will charge you. The worst hostel in Auckland, without a doubt.

No tv on in living room made it for me meant that people talked to each other absolutely brilliant :)

It's a really good hostel. The Wifi isn't exactly free, but that's ok al least for me... Keeps the people socializing instead of being with their smartphones all the time.. Good facilites, great staff and really nice atmosphere! It's not a party hostel but I would recommend it to anyone.

I have stayed there twice. Free internet is a joke, only half of an hour per day unless you pay a whole week. But it is very comfortable and bedrooms and baths are clean enough. Nice place.

• 1st Dec 2013
  • Mexico

The guy who attends reception the half of time is verykind but the girl which does it the other half has a terrible attitude

• 26th Nov 2013
  • Colombia

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by very unfriendly and helpful staff. Rooms were of an average standard. We were given a room with an 'ensuite' which was actually the disabled toilet. Overall, I'm happy we only stayed 2 nights here due to an early flight. I would not recommend this hostel to other travellers if others are available. The atmosphere consisted of people watching the TV at the highest volume and shouting in the corridor. Not exactly welcoming.

The staff was not very welcoming or friendly in their replies to questions. Then it was very unexpected that we had to pay for the parking as nowhere on the website I could read anything about it. It was very loud and the no-noise-policy after 10pm was not followed at all, also the night guard joined the guests in smoking/singing at the front door at 4am, I think he would have been responsible for telling the guests to be quiet and talk/smoke somewhere else.

• 16th Nov 2013

Only bad thing that comes to mind is that they said they have breakfast for free till October, and that wasn't true. But everything else was alright though.

• 27th Oct 2013

Thanks for your comments, Free Breakfast is June to October , this means it ends at the start of October. Same if you work 9 to 5 in a job, doesn't mean you work past 5pm.

Excellent Hostel, I had a nice room with opening windows, the hostel was very clean and nice lounges. Location is ok ,very close to Sky Tower and super markets.

• 22nd Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Thanks for staying with us.