Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

work up on second morning with bites on my arms, legs, face, hands, torso which became itchy. The last morning i was there i squashed a bug on my neck. Not sure think they were bed bugs. Room 15.

Are rooms are constantly checked for any pests, we were unable to find any thing, we noticed you had a sleeping bag, so I hope you are not carrying anything within it.

No free wiFi, only 30mb free when you arrive! No freezer! Not really a good backpackers

Wi-Fi is not unlimited or everyone would be down loading 24hours a day and speed would become very slow. A freezer is not necessary we have 2 supermarkets next to the hostel, you can buy fresh food everyday.

There was hair everywhere in our bathroom and used bars of soap from other guests. At around 9pm someone came into our room unannounced and none of the staff could tell us who it was. Great location close to a lot of great places but I did not feel safe leaving my things in the room when we were not there.

Good location, nice modern hostel.

• 24th May 2014
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your comments, hope to see you again

Good time spend in Aukland. I enjoyed staying at the hostel with the great staff.

Thanks for writing, hope you enjoy the rest of New Zealand

Just off queen st with good staff and very clean. Good facilities.

Thanks for the comments, hope you will be back one day.

Bathroom and toilets were very clean, and comfortable beds. Place was nice and warm.

• 18th May 2014

Great feed back, thanks for writing.

Very rude and unhelpful owner/manager. The hostel was in a good location but the dorms were boiling despite it being autumn and the parking was $8 from 11-11 meaning even if you arrive at 7pm you still have to pay $8 until 11 the next day.

Thanks for your kind comments, our bedrooms are nice and warm , its great to be warm & cozy during Autumn and Winter as most of our guests appreciate it. NZ is a western country we have a fixed price system, we don't haggle over carparking prices. There's no where else in Central Auckland where you can park for $8 for 24 hours. You arrived at 5pm, 18 hours of parking for $8.

Hostel staff were very kind & helpful, the location is good as is only a short walk to bus station & Queen St, the beds were really comfortable & hostel looked clean and well maintained. I will stay again on my return to Auckland.

• 20th Apr 2014
  • Denmark

Good fun hostel.

• 9th Apr 2014

Thanks for the stay

• 3rd Apr 2014

Thanks for your staying, hope to see you back soon.

Nice Hostel, friendly guests & staff

• 27th Mar 2014

Thanks for your comments, hope to see you back soon.

I wasnt happy with changed room.i ordered single with ensuite but got 6 bed with disabled bathroom.also you advertised free breakfast but thete wasnt any breakfast provided.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

You got a single room with ensuite like you asked you had all the room to yourself, breakfast was never included, only available during winter.

Silverfern is located close to Sky tower so it was easy to find, the reception staff checked me in and were kind and helpful. My bedroom was full of interesting people and they quickly showed me around the hostel , there is many lounge areas and a great kitchen with all the kitchen utensils. It seems many people find work in Auckland and they drift here from other hostels as they say it is the best for value in Auckland.

• 19th Mar 2014

Thanks for the stay, glad you enjoyed our hostel.

Nice and seemingly new Hostel in Auckland CBD, approx give minutes to Skycity. Facilities are good and clean. Bad things: completely unfriendly and unmotivated staff, charge for lockers, charge for luggage storage and 50$ key Deposit. No free breakfast as advertised and free wifi only for 30 minutes per day.

Breakfast is only free during winter months as advertised, stay a week and you get 1GB of wifi. Staff are very motivated which is why the hostel is so busy and clean. We have many guests who have stayed longer than a year, if staff were unfriendly they wouldn't stay that long. Perhaps you should try being more sociable yourself.

ALL THE ABOVE AVERAGES WERE JUST TO SEND THIS TO YOU. THEY DO NOT APPLY. I just put them in so that this could be sent. I did not stay here in the end as I had a place closer to my event in Auckland and also had a medical emergency. They were kind enough to only charge me the one night with a three night reservation. Can not really comment on above as I have never seen the place.

• 1st Mar 2014

The hostel was quite shabby and overpriced, which showed everywhere: compulsory payment for 3 nights minimum (even if you'd only stay for 2 nights), 50 dollar key deposit, safety lockers only available on extra payment... in Auckland, there are much better options available at the same rate.

If there were better options why did you stay here, since you only wanted 2 nights? you know this is one of the best quality hostels in Auckland.

Was a very busy weekend in Auckland (everywhere else was fully booked) but this hostel still managed to overbook beds. Pretty annoying when people get into the room at 2am and 4am and find someone is in their bed.

Sorry you couldn't find your bed, the room wasn't over booked there was an empty bed in the room for you. Next time leave some personal belongings on the bed then other guests won't think it is empty.

We slept there 2 times. The first time (2 nights) was OK basically... BUT well, we had such a bad night the day we left with noises, doors banging and so on untill we left at 3o'clock am ... because our room was close to the kitchen... and normally after 10pm it was supposed to be closed BUT it was not... and asking for silence or peace we were talked to rudely !!! And in fact we left earlier than expected because of that !

lots of space in the hostel though kitchen work was being done and no attempt to cover any food, plus not sure why they the $50 key deposit, or charge for storing your luggage

No need to cover food, when there is no dust. You get charged for luggage storage at airports, bus stations, train stations why not hostels? Most hostels in city centres charge for this service if you want it leave it in a safe place.