Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

I think the hostel has an important lack of investment, all is old and the sheets are old too and they look like dirty. The kitchen is not enough clean, it has not enough cutlery for the guests there. They charge on everything, nothing is free, like wifi, mugs, glasses, lockers, laundry. The wifi has never worked fine in all the week. Hostelworld said that we would pay an amount of money when we get to the hostel and in the hostel they charge on us another more expensive amount of money.

• 2nd Oct 2015
  • Argentina

A short walk to city centre but still worth it. Stayed here before and got free wifi, but now a couple of months later we had to pay - but you pretty much have to pay for wifi everywhere in NZ. There's some really friendly staff, but some of them need to add a smile. Overall a good stay with nice and clean rooms and bathrooms. Good hanging out area.

Staff were very helpful on my arrival, this is the only city hostel with a car park, so it was easy for me to unload my stuff and not have to walk far. The bathrooms are very clean, kitchen has better than average facilities. Lots of other friendly guests all gel together in the main lounge. The hostel is only a short walk from the centre and is very close to the visitor information centre. Wifi was fast and I was able to download films quite easily. Over all I had a good experience here.

• 13th Sep 2015

Stayed here only because YHA and other backpacker hostel no room. Atmosphere very unfriendly. I did not feel welcome here. Gives off vibe of dirty cheap motel. Good for one nite.... but would be horribly unhappy if stayed here longer than that. Not a good place to stay.... NO RECOMMENDATION HERE.

It;s a good choice, awesome Lounge area.

• 5th Sep 2015
  • Denmark

This place is designed to rip you off. I booked two nights and mistakenly booked it for two people but still couldn't cancel the second night cause in this place one day is apparently not enough notice. Not to mention that even though I used the 2nd bed to put my stuff on it was still taken during the night. When mentioning this to the reception their response was that they cannot control who sleeps where. Really? I was honestly afraid that they will even find a reason to take my $50! deposit.

You have to follow the terms and conditions of the website if you wish to book online. Don't blame the hostel for your mistakes.

I have stayed for four nights, overall it's good! many people who stay there seems like to party, so barely I can get a good sleep. And someone in my dorm also has stolen my charger. After all it's value for what you pay for.

Bad smell comming from bagpacker, cold water comes in shower at any time

Sorry we can't help it if your room mates smell, we can't force guests to wash their clothes or take showers. Perhaps next time choose a smaller dorm.

Dirty and smelly, too many drunk and rude boys.

The bedroom you was in was 100% clean, as it was opened for the All Blacks Rugby Match weekend. Perhaps next time choose a female dorm and spend a bit more money if you don't like boys, rather than complaining about them. The boys were here to have a good time and watch the rugby, which they all enjoyed.

This hostel is a absolute rip off. I have stayed in over 100 hostel over the years but never has a hostel took money off my deposit because I was late to check out. The walls r full of little sighns that say if u do this we will charge u. If u use the wrong exit doordoor if u dont wash ur plate even if u ask for a letter to say u r staying in the hostel for the bank just a printed paper 10$. And they charge u more in hostel than if u book online but they won't let u book online ones u get there

You checked out at 12.15pm, checkout time is 10am, staff need to clean your room at 10am. So you got charged for late checkout. You must of enjoyed staying here as you stayed an additional 5 nights, so your review is not at all honest.

1 2 3 Next » last »