Silverfern Backpackers Reviews

234 Hobson Street, Auckland, New Zealand

I stayed in a large dorm it was good value for money and well cleaned. The bathroom was tidy and spacious , one of the best I have seen in New Zealand. Staff were helpful and kind. Location was central to all ones needs and the hostel is easy to get to from the airport. Free Wi-Fi was reasonably fast.

• 18th Sep 2014

As I was putting the sheets on the bed I was assigned a man came up to me, he had red bite marks all over his face and body. He told me that he received the bites in the night while sleeping on the bed that I had just been assigned. The hostel had given him 1GB internet data as compensation. I went down to reception and asked why they had given me a bed that they knew had bed bugs!? They told me that if I didn't want to sleep in that bed I would have to pay extra. Disappointing.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Its a pity you didn't get your facts straight, 1000's of others have slept on the same bed and not been bitten. The person had 2 spots on his nose which were zits. Staff checked the mattress and nothing was found, no extra Wi-Fi was given out. Please provide evidence next time and not just hearsay.

I stayed one night in the women staff room so it was not as quite as I expected but not to bad. There is no place to store your lockage in the room. Th staff members were very nice, they just forgot to mentionned the breakfast so don't forget to ask. Otherwise the hostel is very clean and well located.

Beware if you are only staying one night - Silverfern Backpackers tack on a shady $10 extra outside of the Hostelworld fee. The hostel itself is grimy and noisy. Location isn't too bad although it's just up the road from a drug rehab so expect a lot of meth addicts strolling by at all hours

• 7th Sep 2014

Simon you were kicked out of the hostel because you were found stealing other peoples food from the fridges in the kitchen. We don't tolerate that behaviour. All the terms and conditions are found in the policy section on our web page , you had every opportunity to read that. There is no drug rehab in Central Auckland, another of your lies, our hostel is clean and tidy same as the bedroom you were in. Other hostels in Auckland have been informed about your behaviour

Large dorm was clean and tidy, staff were helpful, cheap and good location.

• 30th Aug 2014

Thanks for your comments, we hope to see you again one day.

A very nice hostel. Kind staff and clean bedrooms. Good facilities in hostel and good location away from noisy bars.

• 25th Aug 2014
  • Northern Ireland

Thanks for taking the time to comment, enjoy your travels.

I've never had any concerns, but this one.The room was filthy,smelly.I slept several times in a 10 beds' bedrooms and they weren't like this. The toilet was ok. It seemed that It's been ages that they didn't clean the rooms because u could notice through the things on the ground, for example, they fold the bed linen and wrap a type of elastic to keep it together.There were heaps of this elastics on the floor.Ah!! the smell is

Our rooms are cleaned every day as you know, we can't help how guests smell, we have large windows which you can always open.

It wasn't the most clean hostel and it wasn't very cozy.

• 7th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

You choose the largest dorm and you had a room just to your selves which was spotlessly clean. It may not of been cozy because it was not full, We have a lot of cozy areas in the hostel where you can read a book or play on your computer or Ipad.

The hostel has everything you would need, good location, nice staff and good value for money.

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Belgium

Thanks for your comments, hope you will be back one day.

The two main fators for us staying at your Hostel (for the second time now) is the central location that gives easy access to town on foot. As well as the parking right in front of the Hostle which seemingly does not come wich many other Hostels in Auckland. It was a little inconvenient that the reciept machine was broken throughout our stay (4 nights) but we hope to get around this when re-imbursing our employer.

• 4th Jul 2014

Thanks for the comments, if you still need a receipt we can email you one.

I had a good time here, good facilities, nice to have a bedroom with windows. Avoid the hostels in Auckland which don't as the rooms stink.

• 21st Jun 2014

Thanks for taking time to add a comment, I agree it is a shame that a lot of Auckland hostels don't have windows,(in most countries it would be illegal, as it encourages mould and bed bugs). Hope to see you back again.

Hostel was good value for money, good staff and clean.

• 11th Jun 2014

Thanks for booking with us, we hope to see you soon.

This hostel is desgusting... No body clean the rooms... Just don't go there!

You know full well the rooms are cleaned everyday, you paid to stay another night, so you must of enjoyed it. It's a shame you are so dishonest Vito Tito.

work up on second morning with bites on my arms, legs, face, hands, torso which became itchy. The last morning i was there i squashed a bug on my neck. Not sure think they were bed bugs. Room 15.

Are rooms are constantly checked for any pests, we were unable to find any thing, we noticed you had a sleeping bag, so I hope you are not carrying anything within it.

No free wiFi, only 30mb free when you arrive! No freezer! Not really a good backpackers

Wi-Fi is not unlimited or everyone would be down loading 24hours a day and speed would become very slow. A freezer is not necessary we have 2 supermarkets next to the hostel, you can buy fresh food everyday.

There was hair everywhere in our bathroom and used bars of soap from other guests. At around 9pm someone came into our room unannounced and none of the staff could tell us who it was. Great location close to a lot of great places but I did not feel safe leaving my things in the room when we were not there.

Good location, nice modern hostel.

• 24th May 2014
  • New Zealand

Thanks for your comments, hope to see you again

Good time spend in Aukland. I enjoyed staying at the hostel with the great staff.

Thanks for writing, hope you enjoy the rest of New Zealand

Just off queen st with good staff and very clean. Good facilities.

Thanks for the comments, hope you will be back one day.

Bathroom and toilets were very clean, and comfortable beds. Place was nice and warm.

• 18th May 2014

Great feed back, thanks for writing.