Sir Cedrics Chateau Franz Backpackers and Motels Reviews

8-10 Cron Street, Franz Josef, New Zealand

This was my favorite hostel so far!

Excellent staff members who helpfully recommended us a couple of things that turned out very well! Thanks

• 1st Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Nice hostel, very quiet at the moment. They are doing renovations in the backpacker house- the new pods are great but the TV lounge and kitchen there are currently closed so have to walk across to the other building to use their kitchen. Also the coldest hostel I've ever been in, no heating in the common areas and doors left open all the time!

Great hostel! Lovely staff and awesome fireplace! Would just say that I stayed in a 4 bed dorm and the heater only had 1 setting and it was unbearably hot being on the top bunk and cold on the bottom bunk and if i turned it off within 30mins the room was freezing again and wasnt fair for the people on bottom bunks so i just roasted the whole night haha maybe consider changing it to one that circulates the heat or something cos its cold on the bottom and unbearabley hot on the top?

Nice quiet hostel/motel. The Franz Josef township is quite small so everything is within an easy walking distance from the hostel. Free breakfast, dinner, and wifi was great. Highly recommend.

• 17th Jul 2015

staff were super friendly and helpful. offered free breakfast and soup in the evening and popcorn!! great atmosphere... had the camp fire going at night .

Very good, comfortable hostel. Needs free wi-fi.

Great hostel. Stayed in a dorm bed dorm called 'the stables'. Had a small table and a kettle and fridge. The kitchen was in the maim building and had all facilities i needed. Hostel provide free soup and breakfast which is great, helped save a few pennies. Good location, although franz josef is tiny anyway. Also free wifi actually worked which is always a bonus!

We stayed here for one night. They upgraded us to an ensuite which was very nice! They had free soup and free breakfast which was awesome! I would definitely stay here again!

We were very happy with our stay there. It was very comfortable and with the addition of free soup and spa and breakfast-what more could you want?

• 11th Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

I enjoyed staying at this hostel! Everyone was very friendly and I felt very safe and at home. The staff was not the kindest but nonetheless, it is good value for the money!

Best NZ hostel I have stayed in for sure!

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

The staff was great, favorite part was sitting around the bon fire and meeting new people. The glow worm walks were also a lot of fun. Free soup and breakfast is ALWAYS a plus!!!!!! Two thumbs up!

Good hostel for visiting glacier country. The free food was a huge plus. Saved $ on meals in this expensive little town!

Good hostel overall - free soup, tasty bakery items and breakfast all included. Only complaint is that our beds were in a communal kitchen/living area which was not very secure.

Great hostel, would definitely stay here again

This hostel was located at a descent location. It was a pretty cool hostel, I really like the style in the main room. The one thing I didn't really appreciate was the fact that when I was checking out, I waited a long while before anyone came to help me. The bathroom that we had was not that clean, there was a spider just hanging around. The dishes in our room were also dirty and we had to wash them.

Great hostel. So nice to have free breakfast, soup, and unlimited wifi. Great location (although Franz Josef is quite small anyway). My only complaints are that the fridge in the upstairs kitchen was leaking and the bathrooms weren't very clean. It also got quite cold at night. The rest was really great though. Nice TV room and fire pit. Outlets, USB portals, and lights at every bed in my room, and good staff.

Honestly the best hostel I've stayed in, in New Zealand. Definitely stay there again!!

• 20th Apr 2015
  • Wales

Great place to stay - comfortable bed, hot tub out back, dart board, nice seating area. Kitchen was also great - one downstairs and one in the next building so never too busy. Free soup at night was awesome and came with baked goods so was really filling. Staff were lovely and overall just a great backpackers.