Sir Cedrics Glow Worm Flashpacker Hostel Reviews

27 Cron Street, Franz Josef, Franz Josef, New Zealand

This hostel sucks! Don't be fooled by the "flashpackers" title. There's nothing flash about this place. The place is old and dirty, looks like a run down motel from an American Horror film. The lounge is like an old persons living room. No suitable cooking equipment, pans all stick, fridges are dirty. The rooms are cramped, no lock on the bathroom door! The sink is tiny, the size of my foot (size 10). Wouldn't stay here again.

Free soup and European pastries? Unbelievable and tasty. Spent an absurd amount of time signing into the ridiculous wifi. Motel-ish but warm and pretty clean. Pretty good music. Awkward bathrooms in rooms. Friendly woofers. Impressive VHS selection could be sold for 11 dollars to improve wifi system.

I loved this hostel, met some lovely people here. The fire was warm and cosy when I had to spend an extra day stuck in Franz Josef due to torrential rain! The room was warm and well kitted out, it was really handy to have a mini fridge, microwave and toaster in the room. The staff were really friendly and helpful, everyone here was chilled out! Our ensuite bathroom flooded everytime we showered but that just added to the fun! Free wifi, soup, breakfast and international calls, which was perfect

We loved this hostel. Very friendly staff...thank you Karin...and great facility. Free breakfast Ithe a.m. and free broth in the evening plus free hot chocolate, popcorn and international phone calls. We had our own room which included tea, sugar, kitchenette and a private bathroom. Plus they serviced the room while we were trekking the glacier. Loved it! Highly recommend.

I only stayed for one night but it was spot on. Real gem of a place and I would stay here again no question.

Right in Franz Josef. It's a small town, so close to everything. Very helpful with bookings and information, but essentially the same as calling. I'd still recommend booking ahead if short on time. The free soup and popcorn was nice, and the unlimited wifi was a nice break, although it was a bit spotty and only worked in the main area.

The Glow Worm cottage was a convenient accommodation for doing an activity on the glacier. I had planned to do a hike on the glacier, and the staff was very helpful with tips for the tour and everything else in general. The facilities were fine and as expected for a hostel right near the glacier. Would reccommend if one has any early activities on the glacier.

Staff were really nice, everyone here was so chilled and kitchen and living room were all open plan so really social. Clean rooms and the added bonus of breakfast and soup in the evenings made it so much cheaper to eat! Felt like home

Excellent free soup! Nice big lounge

+ friendly staff + well-equipped rooms + clean rooms & comfy beds + breakfast and dinner soup included

This was my absolute favorite hostel experience. The staff were excellent (friendly and quick to help), the facilities were great (full kitchen, fireplace, nice beds with clean sheets, free wifi, TV room with tons of movies), and the perks were great. I had to stay in Franz Josef an extra day due to an overbooked bus and had no qualms, all because I was staying at the Glowworm Cottages.

• 14th Apr 2015

Very helpful and friendly staff. Nice communal areas, with a cosy wood burner, soup, breakfast and wifi all included in the price!

The ensuite rooms are moldy and dusty but the common areas are nice and the internet works mostly well. Staff is really nice. Beds are comfy. Free breakfast is a bonus!

You can a bike for free but they only have one!!