Sir Cedrics Southern Laughter Backpackers Reviews

4 Isle St, Queenstown, Queenstown, New Zealand

Party hostel so be ready, kinda dirty and not really nice.

Cool hostel with decent unlimited wifi. Door to the room was a porch which other people in the room weren't willing to lock which was kind of annoying because it affects my stuff. Other than that it was ok - good for the money and a scalding hot shower which was amazing

Very good hostel, freindly people, accomodating staff and convenient location. Only issue is thr WiFi is very hit and miss during the day and depending on room location.

I thought it was a fantastic place to stay. Such a warm, inviting and homely atmosphere. Great value for money with friendly staff and comforting facilities

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • Sri Lanka

Was a really great place, atmosphere and people were amazing and i loved every second i spent there. Even though its a little beaten around the edges it makes up for that with the free food, heaps of movie choices, the location and the people that stay there. As well as the hot tub !

We stayed in a private double room & had a fantastic week. The staff were excellent (Alex in particular was great) & helped us with everything we needed. Our heater in the room wasn't working properly when we arrived so they gave us their heater from the reception. Plenty of showers & toilets available plus a choice of kitchens. Hot tub & free soup is available daily. Everything was excellent & better than expected. Only negative was it was hard to find spoons but that's ever so minor! Thanks!

During the winter festival everyone was friendly, outgoing and welcoming, truly felt like a community. Good location near main shops, nice kitchenette and ensuite. Also have me a generous discount rate at one of their other hostels in Fran Josef.

Had a great weekend away with the boys. Short walk to pub, warm, clean and friendly

• 19th Jun 2015

I was in a 8 bed dorm which was good, we had our own bathroom, Kitchen & table. Feedback: - the wifi: it was really hard to connect to especially when everyone was in the hostel (but then again it was free) - barely any sockets so charging was annoying - the dryer could have been better, i had to put my stuff in there 3 times which made it expensive Its not in the main city centre but might as well be and cheaper then others. I would definitely recommend this place/go back (hopefully)

• 4th Jun 2015

I appreciate the staff's efforts in keeping the common living spaces/ kitchens clean, despite some very messy travellers. I had booked a private twin room and was very happy with it. The shared kitchen space is a good place to meet other travellers and make friends. I have lived in other hostels before but none were as lively.

Southern Laughter was great! We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere that seemed to embody Queenstown. The location of Southern Laughter is key; close to the town and boasting beautiful views of the lake and mountains. The staff was great, rooms clean, and atmosphere very communal. We enjoyed the nightly free soup and tea, and monday night BBQ's. Definitely a place to check out!

Cozy, lovely hostel! If you want somewhere a little more personal, Southern Laughter is a great hostel to be. It's a bit out of the way, which is good for the views but does keep you a little far from most activities. The reception staff is very friendly, and you don't feel like they're trying to rip every dime from you. The room I was in was fantastic -- a four person mixed dorm with our own kitchen and a beautiful view. Of the 3 hostels I stayed at in Queenstown, this is the one I'd recommend!

A little bit underwhelmed in all honesty. The staff were all friendly, but the whole place looked like it needed a bit of a facelift and I think that affected how people treated it in terms of cleanliness. Also didn't think security was great: only one door between you and outside, with a blind that didn't cover the whole door, and no lockers in the rooms. It wasn't terrible but I don't think I'd stay there again.

Good location and overall a great hostel. Bathrooms are old and a little mouldy though.

Lovely fun hostel. Jokes everywhere which was nice. Bathrooms and laundry were OK and very near our room. We had a private room. Parking was available but completely used most of the time.

Our room door could not be locked from outside and the wifi only worked in the main reception/lounge area despite being advertised as "throughout hostel".

I spent one night at Southern Laughter. The stuff is very friendly and the bedroom was clean. The only disadvantage was a cold shower in the morning because the water didn't heat up.

• 4th Apr 2015

Great hostel with plenty of common space and good facilities! No wonder they tend to get so busy! There were 2 large kitchens to use, 2 tv lounges, a yummy soup in the evenings for everyone to enjoy and a generally cool vibe around this place!

The free soup and different nightly activities were a great added bonus.

The best thing about Southern Laughter was probably the staff - the receptionist was very helpful and nice to us! Other highlights are all the jokes (written and visual) around the hostel and a great veg soup which is free!