Sir Ruthelen Reviews

3777 Ruthelen Street, Los Angeles, California, USA

I had appreciated the free laundry The breakfast is not very good (depends on days and I would appreciate to have thea, not only coffee) Unfortunately it is not very easy to communicate with other people in the hostel because several kitchens

Well you have to check in at another place than the one you live in, usually. Look that up before you go to this place ;)

Everything is perfect. Maybe too perfect for a Hostel. Less service and instead a smaller price for travellers would be nice. But i think this is just New York.

Bathroom was the nicest of the room, hostel located in a neighborhood area next to the city, nearest bus stop I went to took a 10-15 minute walk, wouldn't recommend to walk at night, suggest getting your own breakfast because it wasn't enough for me, suggest looking up bus stops and studying the map around the area because staff did not help me with those things.

• 22nd Aug 2013

Great hostel. Old 1920's mansion in old Los Angeles, feels like going into a rich family house rather than an actual hostel. It's clean enough not to remind you of Bates Motel... hihgly recommended for people looking for something a bit more homelike than usual backpacker hostels.

• 24th Jul 2013
  • Mexico

- Emailed me to chase me to check in... But didn't mention they'd changed my booking from a 4 to 6 bed dorm. - the office is about a mile from the accomodation, with no onsite staff presence at the accomodation. - "guests" smoking pot and drunk at all hours, bad behavior symptomatic of the lack of staff presence - WiFi didn't work for me - near the metro station but its a long ride to anywhere - on the plus side it is cheap...

• 17th Jul 2013

The house was beautiful, our room was amazing and was so comfortable with real nice furniture and walk in wardrobe. The shared bathroom was actually like an en suite between two rooms which we loved and just felt like our own bathroom. Everything was spotless, sooo clean. It isnt actually a hostel but a shared house but it was fine. Breakfast got a bit boring, staff were a bit useless; we ordered a airport pick up and it didn't turn up. Area is a bit dodgy but just be in before dark!!

My stay was great! The mix of short-term travelers and long-term residents made for a great social experience. Kudos especially to a couple of those employed by the hostel: Alfred Rubin Thompson for keeping it the cleanest hostel I'd seen yet, and Shawn Jones for being so helpful in my settling in and being a swell guy in general.

• 20th May 2013

Great little place with great staff! Very helpful and accommodating!

Wow. My stay at Sir Ruthelen was excellent. The front desk personnel were nice, freindly, helpful, and very patient with me. At first, I was kind of skeptical as to what staying in a hostel would be like but the staff and guest made it feel like more of a home. The house was clean and well kept, the kitchen is very nice. The other guests were very respectable. The rooms were warm and comfortable and I'm gonna recommend this hostel to all of my friends when visiting or staying in LA.

• 14th May 2013
  • Sweden

Thanks Jerome. We aim to duplicate that experience for each of our guest. We were happy to host you and would love it for you to stay with us the next time you're in LA.

the reservation was canceled when we arrived!

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for the cancellation. We cancel reservations for parties that do not inform us of any travel issues. Often, guest cancel without any notice to us. So, we apologize for any inconvenience. Please book with us again.

Good place close to the Metro so it was easy to move around L.A. Great friendly staff!

Thank you. We enjoyed hosting you. See you next time.

Very nice owners

I recently stayed at this hostel in downtown LA and after many poor reviews of LA itself. This hostel totally changed my perception of LA as the place was absolulty excellent. Everyone who was stayng and worked there was really friendly and extremely helpful and getting around LA from this location was very very easy. I would strongly recomend this place and the best place in LA for backpackers!

• 29th Apr 2013

The hostel was located in a bad area, a man in the street asked us if we were lost and said that we should trust no one in the area. The check in desk was located far from the hostel, and there were no sign on the house so it was hard to find. When we arrived we got the info that we the 2 person room we had booked were full and we had to stay in a 6bed dorm. This was a long term accomedation for young people living in L.A and nog a ragular hostel.

• 18th Mar 2013
  • Sweden

They were overbooked and didn't even have the courtesy to email us in advance to let us know we'd have to change the room - and even the building - we asked for. To get into some toilets you need to cross a bedroom. Also, if you stay for more than two days, you'll hate the dry croissants they give every single day as "breakfast".

• 17th Mar 2013
  • Spain

Our bedroom and bathroom were always dirty! No one ever cleaned it, the floor was sticky and full of dust! I felt really dissapointed about that! Sheets looked as if they been used, absolutely disgusting! I would suggest the hostel manager to pay more attention to this, and hire someone who actually cleans! The location was just fine!

Great hostel!

• 6th Mar 2013

Of all the hostels I've stayed in throughout the US, this one has been the cleanest. The breakfast has some left to be desired for the healthy with all carbs; but the openness of the houses, friendliness of the staff, convenience of being SO close to the metro trains; it's a great place to stay when you're in LA.

• 15th Feb 2013

Overall, fairly reasonable for the money. It was a bit strange having the office such a distance from the actual hostel, but the staff was friendly enough to give us a ride from the office to our hostel. The neighborhood it was located in wasn't too bad, not a place I'd really enjoy walking through at night, but the hostel is actually less than a 5 minute walk from the Expo line of the LA Metro and the overall location is about as close to the "center" of LA as you can can find.