Sir Ruthelen Reviews

3777 Ruthelen Street, Los Angeles, USA

I loved this place! Good service, good and easy transportation to wherever you want to go and the main building was gorgeous. I would definitely go back!

• 13th Aug 2014
  • Sweden

That customer service sucks. That I want my security deposit back because I was denied a stay. They were overbooked. I to go and find a different hostel. So I did not get to stay but got charged for it anyways.

• 10th Jun 2014

My friend booked this for me, and I was hesitant about staying in a mixed dorm, but I really enjoyed myself! The other guests were very welcoming, and the room was plenty big enough for all of us. The staff is very courteous, and does a wonderful job keeping up the house. I really enjoyed the fact that we were so close to the Metro line!

• 13th May 2014
  • Russia

This hostel did the job, close to USC as was attending a conference. Lots of long term tenets it seems, so they dont have everything youd expect from a hostel. Altho sort of extras, most hostels have an iron & hairdryer available. A COMPLETELY BASIC thing lacking was towels. Ive never stayed at a hostel that at the very least didnt have towels for rent. Back door open all day - not sure y if every guest has a key. Overall not bad & cheapest accomod in area, clean, felt safe despite unlocked door

• 9th May 2014

This place is a dive, it's old but pretty clean and the bathrooms need renovating ASAP. The staff are okay at best and you better be out the door by check out time or she WILL be after you. The Wifi is super fast but they have blocked certain things (downloads, games and viber were all not working). It's great for a short 1 or 2 night stay as it has what you need in a good location. Any longer and I think the vibe of the place would start getting me down.

I had appreciated the free laundry The breakfast is not very good (depends on days and I would appreciate to have thea, not only coffee) Unfortunately it is not very easy to communicate with other people in the hostel because several kitchens

Well you have to check in at another place than the one you live in, usually. Look that up before you go to this place ;)

Everything is perfect. Maybe too perfect for a Hostel. Less service and instead a smaller price for travellers would be nice. But i think this is just New York.

Bathroom was the nicest of the room, hostel located in a neighborhood area next to the city, nearest bus stop I went to took a 10-15 minute walk, wouldn't recommend to walk at night, suggest getting your own breakfast because it wasn't enough for me, suggest looking up bus stops and studying the map around the area because staff did not help me with those things.

• 22nd Aug 2013

Great hostel. Old 1920's mansion in old Los Angeles, feels like going into a rich family house rather than an actual hostel. It's clean enough not to remind you of Bates Motel... hihgly recommended for people looking for something a bit more homelike than usual backpacker hostels.

• 24th Jul 2013
  • Mexico

- Emailed me to chase me to check in... But didn't mention they'd changed my booking from a 4 to 6 bed dorm. - the office is about a mile from the accomodation, with no onsite staff presence at the accomodation. - "guests" smoking pot and drunk at all hours, bad behavior symptomatic of the lack of staff presence - WiFi didn't work for me - near the metro station but its a long ride to anywhere - on the plus side it is cheap...

• 17th Jul 2013

The house was beautiful, our room was amazing and was so comfortable with real nice furniture and walk in wardrobe. The shared bathroom was actually like an en suite between two rooms which we loved and just felt like our own bathroom. Everything was spotless, sooo clean. It isnt actually a hostel but a shared house but it was fine. Breakfast got a bit boring, staff were a bit useless; we ordered a airport pick up and it didn't turn up. Area is a bit dodgy but just be in before dark!!

My stay was great! The mix of short-term travelers and long-term residents made for a great social experience. Kudos especially to a couple of those employed by the hostel: Alfred Rubin Thompson for keeping it the cleanest hostel I'd seen yet, and Shawn Jones for being so helpful in my settling in and being a swell guy in general.

• 20th May 2013

Great little place with great staff! Very helpful and accommodating!

Wow. My stay at Sir Ruthelen was excellent. The front desk personnel were nice, freindly, helpful, and very patient with me. At first, I was kind of skeptical as to what staying in a hostel would be like but the staff and guest made it feel like more of a home. The house was clean and well kept, the kitchen is very nice. The other guests were very respectable. The rooms were warm and comfortable and I'm gonna recommend this hostel to all of my friends when visiting or staying in LA.

• 14th May 2013
  • Sweden

Thanks Jerome. We aim to duplicate that experience for each of our guest. We were happy to host you and would love it for you to stay with us the next time you're in LA.

the reservation was canceled when we arrived!

Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies for the cancellation. We cancel reservations for parties that do not inform us of any travel issues. Often, guest cancel without any notice to us. So, we apologize for any inconvenience. Please book with us again.

Good place close to the Metro so it was easy to move around L.A. Great friendly staff!

Thank you. We enjoyed hosting you. See you next time.

Very nice owners

I recently stayed at this hostel in downtown LA and after many poor reviews of LA itself. This hostel totally changed my perception of LA as the place was absolulty excellent. Everyone who was stayng and worked there was really friendly and extremely helpful and getting around LA from this location was very very easy. I would strongly recomend this place and the best place in LA for backpackers!

• 29th Apr 2013

The hostel was located in a bad area, a man in the street asked us if we were lost and said that we should trust no one in the area. The check in desk was located far from the hostel, and there were no sign on the house so it was hard to find. When we arrived we got the info that we the 2 person room we had booked were full and we had to stay in a 6bed dorm. This was a long term accomedation for young people living in L.A and nog a ragular hostel.

• 18th Mar 2013