Sleek Backpackers Reviews

477 Jan Smuts Avenue, (off Republic Road), Johannesburg, South Africa

Very helpful

• 8th Sep 2013

This was a rather horrible experience for us. After coming in from a 5 hour drive, we needed a welcoming place to rest. Instead after struggling to find the place, we were greeted but a shady looking joint with 4-5 young, rather gangsta'-esque (at least to my American eyes), young men running a haphazard operation. We stayed the cold night, but cancelled our second day's reservation and went to the Mercure Hotel. The extra $25 per night was so, so worth it!

We had a very nice stay at the Sleek Backpackers! Everything was fine. This was the best backpackers I've ever stayed at.

Overall its a good place to stay with clean rooms and nice pool area. Edward the front desk manager was very helpful and friendly.

Very far from the airport - cost you about R300 or more to get a transfer from the airport. You will need to pay for internet - if they have it - and it will be very slow. The beds were very uncomfortable - the worst I slept in all of South Africa - you can feel the bars through the mattress, making it difficult to sleep. It wasn't ever full of backpackers but of local people just staying there making it hard to meet people. No bar and no place to go out around the area.

• 4th Jan 2013
  • 18-24

very unsafe for women to stay..alott off taxis ..not clean outside..nobody will pick up the phone after 15hoo...

Very noisy, room window was next to the main entrance door which was opened and closed throughout the night. Staff on duty chatting loudly till early hours. Definately not the place if you are looking for a good night sleep. Terrible smells of burnt oil coming from the kitchen. Worst baclpackers ever

Thank you for this Review. I will take up the staff noise problem and correct it I get that you had the room that is next to the entrance and the kitchen, we have over 28 rooms, if you made us aware of your problem we could have moved you to one of our other rooms? The staff are always willing and helpful. As far as smells from the kitchen, we cant control what people cook, it is a shared kitchen. Enjoy your travels Steve Owner

We had almost to beg for our "free" breakfast every single morning. The wi-fi was expensive and the location wasn´t brillant but I´m not sure if there is such a place in JoBurg.

Rooms are very small and the breakfast is literally just toast but the staff are good . I'd probably shop around but for the price, the private rooms have hot water and comfy beds.

Good place for a couple of nights, very friendly reception, kitchen is in need of some additional utensils. Pretty cold rooms and common space as there was no heating in this hostel at the moment of our stay.

Decided to leave, because it was dirty, the restroom doors could not close, the bathroom walls are glass, so you are basically sharing it with the other girl/boys. no go.

• 6th May 2011

I am sorry this is the first I have heard from you, I would have loved it if you came and told me you had a problem. It would have given me the opportunity to follow up and rectify the problem, this is also so that problems don't happen in the future. The boy and girl areas are completely separate so I am not sure where you are coming from on this? I have checked the place and am un-able to find the the dirt you speak of, I do get that the section that you speak of which is for group or discounted clients, has a public shower like one gets at a Gym, and that this did not suite you and was not up to your liking. We have many different shower and accommodation options, these options are dependent on what you pay for. We have been in existence for 10years, We have found that our clients are happy with these facilities. We are Have a great Journey.

I was left quite unsatisfied after my stay here, the free breakfast didn't exist and the airport pick up was 200rand instead of the advertised 90. the staff weren't polite or helpful when I asked questions, their default answer was always "get a taxi" - on a side note the taxi's offered by the hostel are very overpriced. Not the worst hostel i've been too but a lot to be improved.

Hi Thanks for your clear review I have taken note of the pricing problem on our Internet Site and will update it accordingly. I have also had a chat with my staff about there client support. From my understanding you kept on harassing and pushing them to get cheap transport but where not willing to catch the cheap public transport, more than offering this was not in there ability to offer and they got frustrated with this situation. We do not have a Taxi service, although we do have a Shuttle that we offer as support. A normal taxi charges R450 for an airport pick up We charge R200 this is just to cover our costs. When we call a Taxi on behalf of a customer, we do not have control of what rates they charge. This is why we offer customers a few Taxi service numbers, so that they can negotiate and choose what is best for themselves. Thanks for staying Have a great adventure

Nicely located by good minibus taxi connections, safe neighbourhood, good cooking facilities! Downsides were the rather poor breakfast, leaking roof and confusion with the bus station pick up which left us stranded in the Joburg centre... All in all, worth the money, but not excellent value. Helpful staff!

Thank you for informing us of the leaking roof(We had a very unusual spell of rain for a long period of time that eventually began seeping through. I have already followed up on this and corrected it. The free breakfast on offer is DIY and very basic, it has been the same for the past 11 years. As far as the Bus station pick up is concerned without clear concise information, we can only then do the best we can in that situation. Thanks for staying with us Have a fantastic adventure Be great Steve Owner/Manager

The owner is very helpful. Keen to ensure his backpackers are safe while in the Johannesburg area. Very clean rooms and kitchen.

Freezing during the night. The staff could be friendly and indifferent at times. The showers have almost no privacy. Why stay? The vibe was amazing and I met some really cool people here. Not sure it would be the same without the World Cup.

Not an unpleasant stay.Pros- 1)Close to tourist attractions(but far from city & airport);2)Good tie ups with tour groups;3)15 mins walk to supermart, 5 mins walk to fast food, 10 mins cab from Sandton (R100);4)wifi available at R60/24 hours;5)Staff always helpful.Cons-1)Water pressure often very low, sometimes no hot water;2)No lockers/security box;3)Kitchen always dirty;4)TV in lounge is on 24/7, rooms nearby affected; 5)airport pickup never materialised

Hi Thank you for your honest write up We have added lockers and security boxes and have hired extra cleaning staff to deal with keeping the kitchen clean and dealing with people not cleaning up after themselves in the Kitchen. Sorry for the confusion at the airport, I will follow up on this to see where the miss communication happened. Thanks for staying with us Be great Steve

Airport transfer did not work, we had to call and wait another hour to get picked up.

It was a pleasure to stay there, thanks a lot for the friendship that I found in the staff of Sleek, always ready to help with the right thoughts and always present in any needs that one can have. And the pool is very nice with beatifull surround. Luca Farruggio from Italy-Catania city.

I didn't like the fact that I booked my visit online on the SLEEK Backpackers page but they put me in ACCOUSTIX instead. It seems they're owned/managed by the same folks, who will cram you in wherever they have room. They evaded my questions about this, and I felt deceived. Stayed in female dorm&was disappointed to find 4 bunk beds CRAMMED in a tiny room with windows too high to open. Also the pool table/gathering area is centrally located so everybody can hear ALL the drunken ruckus ALL night.

« first « Prev 1 2 3