Sleek Backpackers Reviews

477 Jan Smuts Avenue, (off Republic Road), Johannesburg, South Africa

It had a relatively good atmosphere and good staff. Its not the most comfortable place to be in but it's cheap and decrypt located in order to get taxis to town.

Good hostel if your waiting to head off on a Safari, but far away from the City. cleanest hostel I have ever stayed at and staff very friendly.

Really nice, clean and friendly staff.

1. The showers weren't private - awkward. 2. There were residents who partied till late on both nights - it was extremely loud and we couldn't sleep. Saturday morning at 3:30 am the music was pumped up! 3. The room was clean. 4. The bathrooms were clean. 5. The parking was a problem - couldn't get out on our departure day. We had to find someone to move their car. 6. It was easy to find.

• 29th May 2015
  • South Africa

Sleek Backpackers was all in all a nice place to stay. The only problem was that it was far away. I mean, there was not much things to do in Randburg and it took ages ro go somewhere with public transportation.

You couldn't find a better place in Johannesburg, even if you spent much more money!

This is my home away from home. The place is perfectly located near the Randburg Mall and Taxi Rank, it is friendly, nice, has a large swimming pool, offers free breakfast and internet. What more can you ask for?

Loved my stay. a big shout out to the staff esoecially AJ

Very helpful

• 8th Sep 2013

This was a rather horrible experience for us. After coming in from a 5 hour drive, we needed a welcoming place to rest. Instead after struggling to find the place, we were greeted but a shady looking joint with 4-5 young, rather gangsta'-esque (at least to my American eyes), young men running a haphazard operation. We stayed the cold night, but cancelled our second day's reservation and went to the Mercure Hotel. The extra $25 per night was so, so worth it!

We had a very nice stay at the Sleek Backpackers! Everything was fine. This was the best backpackers I've ever stayed at.

Overall its a good place to stay with clean rooms and nice pool area. Edward the front desk manager was very helpful and friendly.

Very far from the airport - cost you about R300 or more to get a transfer from the airport. You will need to pay for internet - if they have it - and it will be very slow. The beds were very uncomfortable - the worst I slept in all of South Africa - you can feel the bars through the mattress, making it difficult to sleep. It wasn't ever full of backpackers but of local people just staying there making it hard to meet people. No bar and no place to go out around the area.

• 4th Jan 2013
  • 18-24

very unsafe for women to stay..alott off taxis ..not clean outside..nobody will pick up the phone after 15hoo...

Very noisy, room window was next to the main entrance door which was opened and closed throughout the night. Staff on duty chatting loudly till early hours. Definately not the place if you are looking for a good night sleep. Terrible smells of burnt oil coming from the kitchen. Worst baclpackers ever

Thank you for this Review. I will take up the staff noise problem and correct it I get that you had the room that is next to the entrance and the kitchen, we have over 28 rooms, if you made us aware of your problem we could have moved you to one of our other rooms? The staff are always willing and helpful. As far as smells from the kitchen, we cant control what people cook, it is a shared kitchen. Enjoy your travels Steve Owner

We had almost to beg for our "free" breakfast every single morning. The wi-fi was expensive and the location wasn´t brillant but I´m not sure if there is such a place in JoBurg.

Rooms are very small and the breakfast is literally just toast but the staff are good . I'd probably shop around but for the price, the private rooms have hot water and comfy beds.

Good place for a couple of nights, very friendly reception, kitchen is in need of some additional utensils. Pretty cold rooms and common space as there was no heating in this hostel at the moment of our stay.

Decided to leave, because it was dirty, the restroom doors could not close, the bathroom walls are glass, so you are basically sharing it with the other girl/boys. no go.

• 6th May 2011

I am sorry this is the first I have heard from you, I would have loved it if you came and told me you had a problem. It would have given me the opportunity to follow up and rectify the problem, this is also so that problems don't happen in the future. The boy and girl areas are completely separate so I am not sure where you are coming from on this? I have checked the place and am un-able to find the the dirt you speak of, I do get that the section that you speak of which is for group or discounted clients, has a public shower like one gets at a Gym, and that this did not suite you and was not up to your liking. We have many different shower and accommodation options, these options are dependent on what you pay for. We have been in existence for 10years, We have found that our clients are happy with these facilities. We are Have a great Journey.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4