Small World Guesthouse in Kyoto Reviews

25-10 Shimotorida-Tyou Murasakino, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan

The place is just a traditional Japanese house converted into hostels with bunk beds. As such, it's small, but it's expected. Very few bathrooms and showers shared between all the hostel guests, so it can get tricky. The restroom and showers are separated. There is always hot water in the shower, which is nice. The restrooms could use a little upgrade (no hotwater in the taps). No lockers for your personal belongings. Would I stay again? Yes. Good value for the money and not bad.

It was a great experience. The owner was kind, helpful, and understandable. Although the place was narrow, I like the environment of how laid-back the place was. I met people from different areas around the world in the common room. I used the common kitchen to make tea. It was a gas-stove which was great. I enjoyed the electric blanket (best invention ever!!), hot showers, heater, actual blankets, and actual pillows. The pillows was soft. It wasn't the ones with pebbles inside.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Great access to the northern part Kyoto city and a host of temples from here.

• 23rd Nov 2013

It was a great experience to stay here. I really loved it! It might be a little bit cold for some people during winter as the showers and toilets are outside, but it was really ok for me and the atmosphere really worth going here!!!

My first time in a Japanese townhouse(?) and I was startled by how small and narrow the corridors are. The wooden floors creaked as I walked on it, and I felt a bit like a bear in a china shop (I am very tall). lol. I was also not used to how hard the beds were. It is a very charming place though, with wooden sliding doors, a nice little shower room with really hot water (great in winter) and a small spot near the kitchen to sit and chat near a fire heater. Great experience really!

This is my favorite hostel I have stayed at yet!!! A traditional japanese house located down a tiny back alley with other traditional houses. If you have been to Kyoto you know that can be a bit rare to find these days as most of the city has modernized. Location is far away from Kyoto station but still well located!! You can easily walk to Kinkakuji which is one of the most famous temples in Kyoto or the alley is one block from a major street where you can catch a bus to wherever. No Lockers

Definitely NOT worth the money or the time. Try to book long enough ahead to find another hostel.

You hardly went out from the hostel for three days. and were facing to the monitor of Pc. 'Definitely Not' nevertheless? Also,after check-out was facing the monitor in the common room till the evening!

in the web site it says "free Japanese food", but this was not truth. and the rooms are really very very small....and no lockers....

• 21st Oct 2013
  • shmaymallach

Hello. Our web site does not write "free japanease food "NEVER! Where did you reead it? Don't you have misunderstood something?

Overall traditional Japanese atmosphere of the family room we stayed was great. However, the tatami mats smelled a little musty. We especially liked the guesthouse location: in the suburbs, very quiet at night yet still within walking distance to the subway station. Recommended.

• 20th Oct 2013
  • Malaysia

Pretty much impossible to find after you get off the bus/subway, but was it for the cute twin kids. The place had a unique Japanese vibe, with a great commonspace.

The hostel is rather hard to find indeed. I spent half an hour to ask locals for the direction. But the atmosphere is excellent. I've never stayed in hostel with such unique style. Overall, it would be a great choice to spend one or two nights here. Besides, the owner is helpful when asking him for information.

Very Japanese, quiet place, I enjoyed staying there.

It is a VERY small world! Once you get over the tiny spaces (tiny common room, 2-foot-wide hallways, ladders to access the rooftop platform and one sleeping loft...) this is a perfectly fine place to stay. The house (actually, appears to be several structures joined together) is over 100 years old; there is a communal kitchen space and both Japanese and Western toilets. Difficult to find, but when you get off the bus just ask at the corner restaurant and they can direct you.

• 8th Aug 2013

Small World Guest House is good if you are looking to stay in a traditional type of Japanese Guest house. I found the quarters to be very cramped, poorly ventilated, noisy, and unclean. They did have excellent Wifi. It is easy enough to find. But it's a bit of a walk from the subway.

A very nice hostel. Feels like home. Situated in a lovely neighbourhood, and there are many temples etc close by. If you want to see more of the city, you can rent a bike and cycle around. Kyoto is a good city for cycling so you won't regret it.

Not really close to the center but the kitaoji bus terminal and train station are10min by walk from the house. The staff is very kind and helpfull.

Wouldn't have been hard to find with more detailed instructions - get the 9 bus to Shimatorida cho, take the first left (by a barber's) and then the next left down a very small side street and you're there. The hostel itself was beautifully traditional, I really enjoyed my stay.

It isn't the ideal location (not bad either though), but it's a really cozy guesthouse and a chance to see inside the wooden houses. For me it was good for meeting people too. It's hard to find, so it would be good if either there was an English sign outside or the instructions here were more specific on what to look for.

This hostel is quite far from the station and away from touristy attractions. It's quite hard to find and I had to use my iphone. It has a traditional feel of what most homes in Japan are like if this is what you want to experience. I live in Japan and am used to cold rooms, but foreigners might say it's a bit cold. I had a bicycle so I could get around, and you can rent bikes here which makes it easier to travel around Kyoto.

It´s a nice little guesthouse, but difficult to find from the station. We had to call them and were told to ask the restaurant at the busstop. A nice young man showed us the guesthouse, but a better discription would be helpfull.

• 3rd May 2013