Small World Guesthouse in Kyoto

7.9
Very Good 330 Total Reviews

6th May 2017
6.0

The whoe place was gloomy. Did not feel like the staff was very helpful. Location is a little far from everything. Also, I'm not sure how clean the beds were and the next day, I was really itchy and had small bumps all over my body. Would not recommend.

• Israel, Female, 18-24
3rd May 2017
5.7

The building is nice and it really gives you the traditional feeling but the beds weren't comfortable at all and the owner also wasn't so there to help when needed. They also didnt have any helpful maps for some reason and we had to ride to the station to get some information. All in all, a nice but not very comfortable place.

• England, Female, 25-30
3rd May 2017
4.3

owner needs to be more friendly. kitchen right next to the bedroom which makes it smell of food

• Malaysia, Female, 41+
1st May 2017
4.9

The room we stayed is not properly maintained. The door cannot locked. There're rats on top we guess. Because there were noisy sound when we are sleeping.

11th Apr 2017
7.4

It was so cold! It was a really cool place to stay, but might be better over summer, it prevented us from leaving our room to go socialize and meet others. Basically there is an open courtyard, so if you go to the shower or the bathroom you are going outside.

• New Zealand, Female, 25-30
7th Apr 2017
3.1

I didn't enjoy my stay here, and if you have other options I would book that instead. For an extra 500yen you can stay at a nice hostel, the price I would pay for this place would be max 1000yen. I think I would have slept better at a manga cafe. I was also locked out at night even though I wasn't told of a cerfew. There are no lockers to keep your things safe. In the extreme temperatures of summer or winter I think sleeping would be difficult.

4th Apr 2017
8.0

Traditional interesting old house, is purely an Japanese experience. Good valued stay.

• Taiwan, Mixed Group, 25-30
1st Apr 2017

Very well designed traditional Japanese house, decorated with quite a lot of vintage stuffs. We stayed in 3 people family room, the heater and electronic blanket worked really well, however, the heater in the shared shower room does not warm the room very well in cold weather. As it's a traditional Japanese house, the wooden doors /walls does not effectively keep the noises out. You have to bring your own ear buds if you're sensitive to those noises.

• Canada, Female, 25-30
28th Mar 2017
8.0

This hostel had everything I needed: decent bed, clean shower, toilet and sink facilities, helpful owner, and best of all, bikes for rent. The hotel is a little far from the centre of town, but super easy with a bike. It's still right on the subway line, so only 15 minutes from Kyoto station. The hostel is somewhat basic overall, but it was pleasant to stay in a traditional Japanese house, in a non-tourist area of town.

16th Feb 2017

This place is probably the hippest hostel I've ever stayed at. Heated blankets for those cold Kyoto nights. And the common room is stocked with the best jazz/funk records. Would strongly recommend if you're going to Kyoto.