Small World Guesthouse in Kyoto Reviews

25-10 Shimotorida-Tyou Murasakino, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Japan

I'll leave my 1st bad review, and I feel sorry but I have to. So for the positive side : it is close to Kinkakuji at a walking distance (30min), and at least 2 bus stops. A/C ok, hot enough on winter with warming blanket. Now, the one guy staff is very unfriendly, make you not feel welcome. It feels like he's doing it for money. Also the bed sheet wasn't clean (many hairs weren't ours). You can hear every noise from the street. We booked there 'cause the other was full..I won't book there again

A lovely hostel in a lovely city.

Very welcoming and the traditional feel of the house felt great, it allowed us to truly relax! It was a really unique atmosphere, and if we come back to Kyoto one day, we will probably choose this guesthouse again.

• 12th Dec 2015

I had a great time with the Host and his friends, sitting together listening to vinyls all night. The house has a unique atmosphere it is very cozy. I wish I could have stayed longer, it was an amazing experience.

Price is nice (for Japan it is even great)- atmosphere is ok and you get to meet people. Bed sheets were not clean, bathroom was kind of ok. May be better to stay in summer as it was cold inside.

It's been confirmed: it is small indeed! The owner was accommodating in showing us around and made us feel welcome. The building is "traditional" in the way that it is authentic and exciting...and small. It's not easy to find but the bright light was left on in the evening when we arrived. The inside feels like a cat house with many steps up and down, and a turn and corner every couple of feet. Modern luxuries like Wi-Fi, a heater, and electric plugs make it a great blend of old and new.

可もなく不可もなくです。Wi-Fiの繋がりがイマイチでした。オーナーさんは質問するといろいろ教えてくれます。子連れでしたので銭湯が近くてありがたかったです。

The toilet is very bad smelling and seems lack of cleaning.

FYI- the directions on how to get there from the train station are wrong.

Precio razonable ya que es una casa de huéspedes y tiene un diseño de casa tradicional japonesa. El dueño es poco expresivo, pero si le pides ayuda, tratará de darte respuestas a tus preguntas.

Super cute, clean, well organized ryokan!!! Loved the vintage items the host has collected and has on display.

Es un hostel de los peores que e visto en mi vida y llevo 26 paises recorridos de hostel Da un aspecto exterior totalmente desastroso y cutre en una calle oscura y desolada, Me picaron en el brazo pulgas o chinches debido a que los suelos son de madera asi como las camas, el techo esta forrado con cañizo y tiene vigas muy antiguas de madera sin tratar. Es un hostel extremadamente pequeño e inconfortable, dificil de encontrar aunque cerca de paradas de autobus, muy lejos de la estacion d tren

Good location, nice japanese style rooms, cheap bike rental and good vibe :)

El hotel es una verdadera pocilga! No lo recomiendo

Place was a bit hard to move around and is located rather far from the center. But otherwise, a nice little hostel

Yuki is nice,friend ly n polite, n help ful

A nice place to stay at if you want to have a "real" Japanese experience (you sleep on a mattress on the floor in a simple wooden house). It is a very primitive place, but cozy at the same time. You have what you need if you are just staying one or a few nights, and the place was clean. For me it was a huge plus that the caretaker spoke some English and that I could use the wi-fi. In total, I enjoyed my stay and would have chosen the same hostel over again if I just want a place to sleep at.

• 13th Sep 2015
  • Sweden

Wunderschönes Hostel im charmanten japanischen Stil. Man hat das Gefühl, in einem richtigen alten japanischen Haus zu wohnen. Die verwinkelten Räumlichkeiten sind unglaublich liebevoll eingerichtet. Mein absolutes Lieblingshostel in Japan, auch wenn es nicht so leicht zu finden ist. Ein Geheimtipp!

Toilets had a quite unpleasant smell, the rooms very full of mosquitos which was horrible! No lockers, no possibility to lock the room, the main door was always open!! No dryer. The owner barely talked to me, neither had a map of Kyoto nor was he interested in giving any information about the city/neighborhood, I wanted to ask sth but he'd already closed the door and left! That was a bit strange.. The guesthouse is located next to a bus stop, which is perfect, or a 10 min walk from the subway!

The hostel is not for everyone. Since the hostel is made of wood, sound is easily produced by any movement. It was difficult to sleep at night. Also, it was the peak of summer when I stayed there and the owner did not allow the usage of the AC during the day. Stay here if you are only after a place where you can shower. If you highly value sleep, maybe this is not the best place for you to stay.